User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low hot water pressure

We have a 2018 Reflection 337 and we have recently developed low hot water pressure at all faucets. We have flushed the tank after each season and recently. The outside and inside shower faucets are off. We have a Dometic GC6AA-10E water heater. All of the water system switches on the water control panel are in the correct positions. Any ideas about what may be causing this issue and suggested fixes.

Greg Roberts
    2018 Reflection 337
    Ram 2018 3500 SWD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it could be a bypass valve that was either left open or has failed. Just a guess.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look for a device on the output of the water heater that looks like a pipe nipple. It's a check valve and the inner part is stuck. It's not really needed. Break out the inside part orjustreplace it with a standard pipe nipple.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    Look for a device on the output of the water heater that looks like a pipe nipple. It's a check valve and the inner part is stuck. It's not really needed. Break out the inside part orjustreplace it with a standard pipe nipple.

Makes sense...thank you

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Makes sense...thank you
    This check valve is needed to winterize and not put antifreeze back into the hot water heater - I would replace if bad but try to get one that is brass and not plastic internal parts.

Mark
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    We have a 2018 Reflection 337 and we have recently developed low hot water pressure at all faucets. We have flushed the tank after each season and recently. The outside and inside shower faucets are off. We have a Dometic GC6AA-10E water heater. All of the water system switches on the water control panel are in the correct positions. Any ideas about what may be causing this issue and suggested fixes.
    Hi Greg,

Try turning the red lever in your Nautilus panel to the position depicted in the "Winterize" diagram. (That "bypass valve" turns off flow into the water heater.) Then try running the hot water faucets. If they then flow well (with cold water) then the problem is most likely to be the "check valve" on the top of the back of your water heater. That's where the hot water for your trailer comes out of the tank.

The check valve isn't unnecessary as someone has asserted above; it's there to prevent cold water from being pushed into the hot water tank and increasing the amount of electricity and/or gas required to keep the water in the tank hot. Unfortunately the valve is a common failure point. Fortunately, that means that they are widely available.

In an emergency you can remove it and (with readily-available parts from a hardware store) reconnect the plumbing directly to the tank but it's best not to leave it that way.

Replacing the valve requires opening up the rear wall of the basement storage area, usually the angled portion of the wall which is held in place by three screws down each side. Once the panel is removed you'll see the likely-messy array of wires, plumbing, heating ducts and utility devices including the water heater.

In the less-likely event that after replacing the check valve you STILL have poor hot water pressure, then the problem is most likely at that red hot water bypass valve that you moved at the beginning. This problem is much rarer and parts are NOT available everywhere. The company that makes the Nautilus panel is here:

http://www.bandbmolders.com/

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Hi Greg,

Try turning the red lever in your Nautilus panel to the position depicted in the "Winterize" diagram. (That "bypass valve" turns off flow into the water heater.) Then try running the hot water faucets. If they then flow well (with cold water) then the problem is most likely to be the "check valve" on the top of the back of your water heater. That's where the hot water for your trailer comes out of the tank.

The check valve isn't unnecessary as someone has asserted above; it's there to prevent cold water from being pushed into the hot water tank and increasing the amount of electricity and/or gas required to keep the water in the tank hot. Unfortunately the valve is a common failure point. Fortunately, that means that they are widely available.

In an emergency you can remove it and (with readily-available parts from a hardware store) reconnect the plumbing directly to the tank but it's best not to leave it that way.

Replacing the valve requires opening up the rear wall of the basement storage area, usually the angled portion of the wall which is held in place by three screws down each side. Once the panel is removed you'll see the likely-messy array of wires, plumbing, heating ducts and utility devices including the water heater.

In the less-likely event that after replacing the check valve you STILL have poor hot water pressure, then the problem is most likely at that red hot water bypass valve that you moved at the beginning. This problem is much rarer and parts are NOT available everywhere. The company that makes the Nautilus panel is here:

http://www.bandbmolders.com/

Good luck.
    Boyscout, you nailed it! In checking with the bypass lever turned, I have equal pressure between the hot and cold, so clearly it is the check valve. Thank you for the through explanation and the "here how it works" behind the process. I will see if I can find a local technician to replace it which is not easy now, or if not, I will do it myself when next to my home tool chest.

Greg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Tech View Post
    This check valve is needed to winterize and not put antifreeze back into the hot water heater - I would replace if bad but try to get one that is brass and not plastic internal parts.

Mark
    That is correct.I thought back on it and remember that when I gutted the check valve, I had modded the antifreeze system to the old style configuration that uses two manual valves.