Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspension issues

Hi All -
    Wondering if any Imagine 2800BH owners or actually any GD owners who have some insight or advise on faulty suspensions on these rigs. Ours is 2018.

So here is the issue: noticed our friends unit, that is the same unit as us, just 2 years newer sits higher than ours. So I crawl under theirs, snap some photos and notice they have the Dexter 4400 lb axles and 5 tier leaf springs & 225/75 15 tires. Ok then I come home crawl under to snap photos and notice right front spring is bent and one of the overload plates has snapped off...not good. Then I look at the other springs and they all are almost flat. I also noticed I have the Lippert 3500 lb axles, 4 tier springs and 205/75 15.

Currently talking with Lippert as this looks like it is under warranty. But my question is has anyone else had issues? I just wonder why GD went from these 3500 lb axles to the 4400 lb and increased the leaf springs and tire size?

I think there may be more to this story and will be trying to contact GD about it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60C8F25D-4AF8-4FE0-8B53-8DDF63DD7340.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	748.7 KB 
ID:	32569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F149E2A8-29A0-4065-94A6-3BD23989F220.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	905.5 KB 
ID:	32570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA0DE93A-79E7-4E06-90C2-4E9F9F778DC9.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	614.6 KB 
ID:	32571
    Any info from anyone will be helpful.
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't take you more than a 5 minute Google search to find many days of reading of issues with suspensions in campers made by all mass production brands. The consolidation within the frame and axle suppliers is the crux of the problem.

Inspection of a camper's suspension has to be routine. After my own experiences, it's every trip. The amount of failure you've shown does not happen at once. Once repaired, do take steps to regularly inspect and maintain for the safety our yourself and family and those you share the road with.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lesson learned there but question is how has this happened. We don't boondock, have about 8K miles on the unit. Bearings are repacked yearly, tire inflation is checked each trip, etc. Certainly this will be more of a priority. Just seeing if anyone else has had a similar problem and how did they addressed it.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpboofay View Post
    Lesson learned there but question is how has this happened. We don't boondock, have about 8K miles on the unit. Bearings are repacked yearly, tire inflation is checked each trip, etc. Certainly this will be more of a priority. Just seeing if anyone else has had a similar problem and how did they addressed it.

Thanks!
    It's the result of dynamic loading. The running gear understanding took a big leap backwards after Lippert and now only relearning old lessons. It's an industry that still thrives from trial and error versus planned engineering. If you were near or over your weight limits it'll happen faster, even if not, the more the travel the faster. There was also a run of inferior Lippert axles. In any event, you can upgrade to heavier axles, springs, wheels and tires. Play the situation correctly, you can probably get the axles and springs at no cost. Then just see what you're working with on wheels, and you likely need tires after running that way, and their useful life is only about 3-4 years past DOT date.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    @geotex1 and @gbkims have pointed you in the right direction and have given good advice. I would just add that loading can impact premature suspension failure. Have you weighed your trailer when it's loaded for camping?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Geoex1. That would be my goal. Talking with Lippert from the warranty standpoint. I see many folks out there have upgraded the springs to 2200# on 3500# axles. I just put the Goodyear Endurance tires on them last Oct. Also have on order the Morryde wet bolt kit.

Did you work with GD or Lippert on total replacement?

Sure appreciate you info and guidance!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Second Chance. I was waiting for you and sadly no. But I started doing some calculation and if I have 3500# axles x 2=7000# Unladened weight is nearly 6400#, and yet on the sticker it says you can carry up to 1149# over. Huh! My pencil just broke! Over 500# over what those axles should carry. GD has to explain this one to me. I am pretty conservative when it comes to packing the rig. We are pretty minimal o can’t think we overloaded it and that would mean on a regular basis. But the next call will be going to GD here shortly.

Thanks everyone for helping walk thru this nerve racking issue. Just glad I discovered it in the driveway and not out on the road.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Second Chance. I was waiting for you and sadly no. But I started doing some calculation and if I have 3500# axles x 2=7000# Unladened weight is nearly 6400#, and yet on the sticker it says you can carry up to 1149# over. Huh! My pencil just broke! Over 500# over what those axles should carry. GD has to explain this one to me. I am pretty conservative when it comes to packing the rig. We are pretty minimal o can’t think we overloaded it and that would mean on a regular basis. But the next call will be going to GD here shortly.

Thanks everyone for helping walk thru this nerve racking issue. Just glad I discovered it in the driveway and not out on the road.
    There are few folks that aren't surprised the first time they take their rig to the scales. We all fall prey to "weight creep" and load much more than we think. The only sure way to know is a visit to the nearest CAT scales (after you get your current issues resolves, of course).

Don't forget to subtract your tongue weight from your calculations - it's not on the axles.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspension issues

The weight of the axles themselves are also not weight on the axles either.

2020 2600RB, 2017 Silverado Crew Cab 1500, 6.2L
    Last edited by Chewwi; 03-10-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast