User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from a 2019 F-150 Lariat 5.0L RWD w/3.55 to a 2020 F-250 Lariat 6.7L w/3.55. We tow a 2020 Imagine 2600RB and just had the whole combo weighed at Smart Weight. The total weight (bed loaded with 3200 KW inverter/generator, spare propane tank, Blackstone griddle, misc gear, 2 adults, 2 dogs) and the trailer (in travel setup w/ bikes on rear) is 17300 lb. That comes in under max for the rig. Pulling with the diesel I can easily be up to highway speed by the end of an entry ramp without having to floor it. I can pull up a 4% incline at 60mph and not drop below 7th (1:1) gear. And I have engine braking w/option of using automatic engine brake for downhill, saving on brakes overheating. My MPG at 65 MPH is about 13.4, unloaded on the highway at 70 is right around 20mph and around town about 15 mph.

The only downside I've found is maintenance is a bit more involved. Oil changes 5000 to 7500 miles and uses 13 quarts, oil filter ever change, fuel filters (2) every 15K. And if you get a warning of water in fuel (on dash), you need to drain the water from the first inline filter (easy access, easy to do) but you do need to do it. The engine is turbo charged so you don't really loose any power in the mountains.

If I were to do it again, I would order with the Co-pilot 360 camera setup, the 5th wheel puck setup in the bed (rather than add rails in bed if we go to a 5th wheel), think about 4WD for boondocking and maybe wait for the 22's (order book is now open) for the new 12 inch Sync screen and Sync 4 (wireless Android Auto). But having driven a diesel and tried towing with the 7.3L gasser, I'd stay with the diesel.

I agree to order the truck you want. And if you are even thinking about going to a 5th wheel in the next few years, spend the money for the bed puck system.

One other point, my truck was ordered and delivered in October 2020. Since then I've had 3 dealers approached me with offers more than I paid for it. One dealer said he had a buyer and offered to order me the truck I wanted (at no cost) and hand me $5000 to boot. Still pondering that, but won't make a move until the 2022 are available and I don't have to wait 6 months for it.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an F150 with the 2.7L and pulled our Imagine with it. Loved that motor, it was great; economical for a daily driver, but it was thirsty pulling (8-9mpg @7,000lbs). Had plenty of power. We upgraded when we bought our 5er.

I waited on the 7.3L Godzilla and when I test drove it, I was very underwhelmed. The numbers said it had the power, but it didn’t have the zip I expected. At the time the 7.3L was new and selling for sticker. I was able to get a deal on 6.7L diesel for just a little bit more and haven’t looked back. Very very happy with this motor. Oil changes and maintenance are higher, but the power and torque are amazing. Resell of a diesel is typically higher too and will protect your slightly higher purchase price. I know you’ve crossed the diesel off your list, but maybe driving the trucks back to back may sway your opinion the other way?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We moved from a 2016 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost to a 2020 F-250 7.3, 3.55, 4x4. I was pulling a 9800 lb Eagle TT at the time. The power from the 3.5 was fine but the GVWR wasn't. The F-250 made a huge difference. Now I'm pulling an 11,300 lb Reflection TT with no problems. However, if I thought a 5th wheel was in my future (which it's not), I'd have gotten an F-350 diesel.
    Bob and Joanne
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS
    2020 F-250, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 7.3 Gas, 4x4
    20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FedMill View Post
    The above subject vehicle is the one I am very interested in. I love my F150 2.7 Ecoboost but I am at the upper end for towing my Grand Design 2600RB Travel Trailer. I feel the F250 with the 7.3 would be a Great Choice for me. My wife and I plan on moving up to a Reflection 278BH Fifth Wheel in a few years or similiar model so the F250 would be a Great fit for the Fifth Wheel also.

Has anyone here purchased this Truck and can give me some honest feedback ? I think it would tow my loaded 2600RB (7ksh) like a dream,,,

Joe & Lori
    2019 F150 (STX/FX4) SCREW WITH 2.7 ECOBOOST
    2021 GD 2600RB PURCHASED IN JUNE OF 2020
    I am sure the 7.3 will towthat trailer just fine. The only problem is getting gas at the gas station. Most gas stations are not made for trailers. A diesel is much more practical in that I just pull in where the trucks fuel up.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 XLT 4X4 with the 7.3 motor and the 3.55 rear end. I'm towing a 2020 RL2500. When the truck is driven as a daily driver I get 17 on the highway (70 mph ) 13.5 city. When towing I'm seeing 9.5 - 10 mpg. I bought this truck to replace a 2016 Silverado High Country with the 6.2 gas motor and 3.21 gears. The Ford seems to tow just fine. Most of my driving is in the S/E. Florida, Georgia, Carolinas. I travel lite with only the necessities and then shop upon arrival. I carry about 5 gallons of water. Keep the speed around 65 and you should be fine. I also noticed the the 7.3 motor has now replaced the V10's. Would like to see what the Class A's are getting for MPG.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    My advice is Skip the 250 and go for a 350. The ride empty is very similar to a 250 but it will give you an additional 1,000 lbs of payload for about $1,000 more in MSRP. If you find you want a 14,000 lb 5th wheel you won’t be limited.

Your limiting factor when going to a 5th wheel will likely be payload. Payload on a Ford is listed on the Yellow Tire and Loading Information sticker on the driver doorpost. Payload is the “combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed weight.

You won’t believe how different and effortless towing with a Super Duty truck is compared to your F150.

I don’t have experience with the 7.3L new gas engine but reports are good. The 10 speed is a great transmission. The top 3 gears lock out torque converter so if you want you can lock out 9th and 10th and drive all day long on the highway in 8th gear so I don’t think you will have issues with ever rear you go with.
    I too am considering the 7.3L with a 3.55 rear end. As others have noted, I'm only considering an F350 to tow my 2970RL. From what I have been reading, the new 10-speed transmission does allow for what before would be considered only highway ratios when towing. I have also seen some good reports from owners who have supercharged their 7.3. I just can't bring myself to get one of these late model diesels with their ridiculous emissions controls (I have a 2002 duramax with none of that stuff).
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm towing the 2150RB but bought the F350 with 7.3 and 3.73 gearing in long bed dually configuration. Haven't done any mountains yet but will be going to Yellowstone this summer.

The long bed gets 48 gallon tank and the payload is 6,300 pounds. That also opens the door for a truck camper if we decide to do it.

Good travels to you no matter what you decide.

Joe
    Joe and Sheryl Fabrygel

2018 Imagine 2015RB - "Let the good times roll"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...After more research I will most likely go with the 4.3 gears if I go Ford F250. As folks have said previously, the fuel mileage is basically negligible and the benefits are definitely a plus... I just don't want to make the wrong decision when I upgrade to a fifth wheel it's more than the 10/11000 gross weight I now anticipate.

Thanks for all the Input !!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EncoreJoe View Post
    I'm towing the 2150RB but bought the F350 with 7.3 and 3.73 gearing in long bed dually configuration. Haven't done any mountains yet but will be going to Yellowstone this summer.

The long bed gets 48 gallon tank and the payload is 6,300 pounds. That also opens the door for a truck camper if we decide to do it.

Good travels to you no matter what you decide.

Joe
    Wow, 6300 lbs...is the ride kind stiff?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FedMill- my 2 cents.

I have owned an 81-Silverado, 96-Blazer, 02-Ford 150, 09-Tacoma and a 16-Tundra. I have likes and dislikes with them all. I never considered a diesel because it just wasn't thought of as being able to be a daily driver as well. When I bought my Tundra I was so happy with the performance and comfort and towing capabilities. I thought with the 10+k pulling power that would be my last truck. Then the wife and I started looking at fifth wheels. That's when I discovered PAYLOAD!!! I was crushed to find out that my Tundra was basically very very bottom of the barrel when it came to that number (1600 I believe). Anyway, retirement was getting closer and if I was going to even consider a diesel I wanted to start getting it payed off ASAP. I visited my local Ram dealer. The rest is history. I drove home a 2018 Laramie long-bed with all the goodies except the Asin tranny. I get 20ish combined hwy and city empty. 14ish pulling a 24 foot Jayco and 10ish over the mountains with our 2017 337RLS. I put an 60 gallon aux tank with top toolbox that fits under the tonneau cover which give me about 900+ mile range with full load. The engine brake probably saved our lives when we were going down a very steep hill and lost the trailer brakes on the 337RLS (different and long story). Bottom line is that I drive this truck everywhere...just learn to back it in to the parking spots...a few scant weeks and you will become a pro. My oil is changed about every 12K or when my light tells me to. I bought a little valve to replace the oil plug and take it to my local mechanic to perform the change. The valve lets me EASILY replace just the oil at 7500 if I choose to. I buy two fuel filters and a oil filter from the local parts store and 3 gallons of diesel oil from Costco. The entire package to change oil and filters every 12-15K is about 250 bucks including labor. This truck is a towing beast and I love it! I would never consider a gas truck again. One final thing...run the tires at 60psi unless your towing for a better ride. I'm also 100% positive that you couldn't go wrong with any of the top three manufactures.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast