User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GM Trailer Camera

GM’s trailering camera system install requires the camera to be mounted tailgate height on the rear of the trailer. And a max trailer length of 32 ft. Has anyone mounted this camera on the roof? And/or in a trailer longer than 32 ft.? How did you run the wire? I suspect it will work fine as a backup camera but the “transparent view” will not work for trailers I err 32 ft long. I also suspect it will work fine as a rear view /backup camera mounted on the roof.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id like to add to FlyStar's question I am also curious about this. My trailer is 33' and the kit has 60' of wire. What happens as the trailer gets longer? Does the view get distorted or...? I also want to know if anyone has run the wire through the Frame.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered the camera from gmpartswarehouse.com, best price I could find that had it in stock. I plan to stick it up high, just above the furion camera mount that came with my rig. I know it is supposed to be mounted at tailgate height but I just can’t envision it there with a wire running down the middle of the back or across the middle to the ladder. Since I’m over 32 feet long, the magic transparent view won’t work anyway. I’m thinking of running the wire across the roof edge to the ladder, then down behind the ladder vertical rail, then under the trailer to the hitch where it plugs into the truck. Should work and not be all that noticeable hidden by the ladder vertical rail.

I will report on how well this works while driving and maneuvering. I’m hoping I can see the camera view while driving, in the fancy rear view mirror / display in the truck. And also on the infotainment display on the dash.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    I ordered the camera from gmpartswarehouse.com, best price I could find that had it in stock. I plan to stick it up high, just above the furion camera mount that came with my rig. I know it is supposed to be mounted at tailgate height but I just can’t envision it there with a wire running down the middle of the back or across the middle to the ladder. Since I’m over 32 feet long, the magic transparent view won’t work anyway. I’m thinking of running the wire across the roof edge to the ladder, then down behind the ladder vertical rail, then under the trailer to the hitch where it plugs into the truck. Should work and not be all that noticeable hidden by the ladder vertical rail.

I will report on how well this works while driving and maneuvering. I’m hoping I can see the camera view while driving, in the fancy rear view mirror / display in the truck. And also on the infotainment display on the dash.
    I am very interested in hearing how this project turns out.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unboxed the camera today. Instructions for mounting allow most any options, high, low, roof, etc. However for the fancytransparent trailer camera feature it must be middle of the back of a conventional trailer no more than 32 feet long. This is what I expected. Also running the wire under the trailer is strongly discouraged due to possible damage. However the wire is well protected by a plastic sheathing, in my opinion.

So, I’m going with plan A. Mount it up high in the middle of the back of the trailer and run the wire down the ladder and under the trailer.

Mounting involves a nice bracket and two 6 mm dia. bolts with nuts that are provided. I called GD customer service and their Reco is 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch long self tapping screws in a pilot holes with a bit of silicon. I have, at the ready, two #14 stainless steel sheet metal screws 1 inch long. The box also contains a bag of zip ties and adhesive backed tie down anchors for running the wire.

Plan to install tomorrow. More to come.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a couple other threads about the GM camera if yall would like some additional info. One member posted his set-up which I'm planning on mimicking. But I also wanted to mention that your truck must be equipped with the "technology" package for the transparent trailer to work. Also it is not compatible with 5'ers. :-( Unfortunately mine does NOT have this so I'm not sure if I'm going to mount it up top or not. Also not thrilled about drilling into the fiberglass so I'm wondering if VHB adhesive tape would work just as good? Using a block of wood to serve as a "mounting block" between the trailer and metal camera mount.
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your trailer have the Furion prep? If so, couldn't you just mount it to that bracket?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installed the new GM camera today. Decided the best mounting strategy to be drilling two holes and attaching the bracket with two #14 x 1” stainless steel self tapping sheet metal screws. I positioned the bracket right up next to the roof. Worked great. The top acre even bit into a bit of aluminum and made a super secure mount. I put a bit of silicone in the holes and on top of the screw heads. I ran the wire across the top of the trailer, down the ladder, and wire tied it to the propane line all the way to the front. Worked great and a nice neat install. Picture quality is fantastic. I don’t get the fancy transparent view due to length of the trailer but I can watch behind the trailer while driving and, of course, backing up. I’m very happy with the set up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F186656A-8365-4027-BD6D-81AD1AA4249F.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	32972

Name:	D7A12D5E-229E-4140-BCE6-1C3BCC6BE86A.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	910.7 KB 
ID:	32973

Name:	3B665C12-A0C0-4A3C-A6BD-C120C2B9C318.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	32974

Name:	5D569217-23EB-4BE5-B377-7AD6B49C026A.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	32975

Name:	E9A2CB05-79CC-40E0-934B-30A50DEDC0E0.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	32976
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the pic orientations. Forum newbe
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can’t really use the furion mount. The GM camera comes with its own unique bracket and is hard wired to a receptacle on the truck bumper. The wiring is a hassle but the picture quality as refresh rate is instant.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast