User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XLS 22MLE Adjusting Brakes

I forgot to adjust my brakes last season so I called Dexter Axle to see if the brakes were self adjusting or manually adjusting. It appears GD uses both so to make sure I made a quick phone call and spoke to the Parts Dept: 1-574-295-7888.

I gave them the serial# that can be found on the axle or on the Serial Number Data Sheet that should come with the unit. Ours are manually adjusting.

Here’s a quick 2:42 YouTube explaining how to adjust them if you want to do it yourself and haven’t done it before. Since it’s pretty straight forward I’ve always done mine in our driveway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waNWLWy7sDY

Instead of jacking the trailer as shown in the video, I use a Trailer-Aid Plus. It lifts the tire enough to spin it. From what I’ve read it doesn’t work for all trailers. I carry it while we travel in case of a flat.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-23-...ating/29764294
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow, thanks for confirming these 2 things. We have the exact same tt and our dealer repeatedly told me that we have the auto adjustable ones. At the end of the last season, I wasn't real happy with the brake performance and planned on checking the brakes out this coming spring. This might explain why. Also glad to see that the trailer aid works on yours. I've been debating buying one. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to buy the Trailer-Aid the “Plus“ is a little taller than the regular one. I also carry a couple pieces of 1/2” plywood cut a little bigger than the footprint of the Trailer-Aid just in case I’m on an uneven surface where I need a little more height. Although I haven’t used it for a flat to date, I did try it awhile back on a level parking lot and it lifted the wheel just enough.

Edited to say 1/2” plywood instead of 3/4”.
    Last edited by Tigger1; 03-10-2021 at 10:28 AM.
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Begin rant:

This thread just touched a nerve with me. I picked up my rig in Nov 2020, and from day 1 the brakes were very grabby. When I finally got an appointment to bring it in for other things, I asked them to check and adjust the brakes. When I picked up they told me the brakes are fine. Well, they were still grabby, despite trying to adjust my brake controller. So, there I was, at my next campsite adjusting my brakes, and I could not believe (well, maybe I can) how far out of adjustment they were. I don't think they were ever adjusted after the axles were built. Do you know how they check the brakes? They pull the breakaway switch and if all the magnets energize then the brakes are good. I was a longtime brake mechanic in a prior life, and I know when drum brakes need adjustment. Why can't service people just do what you ask them to do? And telling you that you have self adjusting brakes? WTF is up with that? If they don't know for sure then don't make stuff up because it's what the customer wants to hear. And don't get me started on some of the other service issues I'm having with my dealer service department.

:end rant
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Begin rant:

This thread just touched a nerve with me. I picked up my rig in Nov 2020, and from day 1 the brakes were very grabby. When I finally got an appointment to bring it in for other things, I asked them to check and adjust the brakes. When I picked up they told me the brakes are fine. Well, they were still grabby, despite trying to adjust my brake controller. So, there I was, at my next campsite adjusting my brakes, and I could not believe (well, maybe I can) how far out of adjustment they were. I don't think they were ever adjusted after the axles were built. Do you know how they check the brakes? They pull the breakaway switch and if all the magnets energize then the brakes are good. I was a longtime brake mechanic in a prior life, and I know when drum brakes need adjustment. Why can't service people just do what you ask them to do? And telling you that you have self adjusting brakes? WTF is up with that? If they don't know for sure then don't make stuff up because it's what the customer wants to hear. And don't get me started on some of the other service issues I'm having with my dealer service department.

:end rant
    I know nothing about brakes but if they were “grabby” would that mean they are out of adjustment?
    I would think out of adjustment would mean little to no brakes
    When you adjust them are you not getting them closer to the drum?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I know nothing about brakes but if they were “grabby” would that mean they are out of adjustment?
    I would think out of adjustment would mean little to no brakes
    When you adjust them are you not getting them closer to the drum?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Yes, you are getting them closer to the drum. The problem when they are too far out of adjustment is that when the magnet pushes against the brake shoes the shoes just contact the drum at the very top or bottom of the shoe (depending on if it's the leading or trailing shoe). Because it's engaging with a much smaller contact point, the friction cannot be controlled very well and they grab. With properly adjusted brakes, and after the shoe is "worn in" enough so that it makes full contact with the drum, the force is more evenly applied across the entire surface of the shoes and as a result better controlled. That is why new brakes have to be adjusted after a couple hundred miles, to give the shoes time to conform to the drum. With self adjusting brakes this should not be an issue, but I have seen many defective self adjusters on cars when I was a brake mechanic for various reasons. I tried to find a video to explain it better, but sorry, I could not.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    Yes, you are getting them closer to the drum. The problem when they are too far out of adjustment is that when the magnet pushes against the brake shoes the shoes just contact the drum at the very top or bottom of the shoe (depending on if it's the leading or trailing shoe). Because it's engaging with a much smaller contact point, the friction cannot be controlled very well and they grab. With properly adjusted brakes, and after the shoe is "worn in" enough so that it makes full contact with the drum, the force is more evenly applied across the entire surface of the shoes and as a result better controlled. That is why new brakes have to be adjusted after a couple hundred miles, to give the shoes time to conform to the drum. With self adjusting brakes this should not be an issue, but I have seen many defective self adjusters on cars when I was a brake mechanic for various reasons. I tried to find a video to explain it better, but sorry, I could not.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. That’s good to know.
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. That’s good to know.
    Were yours out of adjustment?

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Were yours out of adjustment?

It took several turns of the star-wheel to tighten before backing off a little. All four wheels needed adjustment.
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time I adjusted the brakes on our Lippert axles they were 3 turns out also.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast