User Tag List

Thread: Storm Door Mod

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storm Door Mod

Just finished my storm door mod to my 27RL screen door. We always like to have the outer door open when we are inside for lighting and just to see what's up outside while we have the A/C on.

In my prior campers I used the rigid lexan sheets, cut to fit. On one I used the storm door clips and on the other I used the permanent method of screwing the panels directly into the frame. I found that both methods were a pain when we wanted fresh air in the early spring and fall. It was always hard to figure where to store the panels when not in place.

This time I tried a completely different approach. I removed the screen door and lined all the attachment areas with self attaching Velcro cut to fit. I attached the other side of the Velcro directly to the newly fitted Velcro and removed the backing exposing the glue. I then stretched heavy clear vinyl (Walmart $8) over the screen door. I pushed the vinyl firmly onto the glue and let it rest. When I pulled off off the vinyl I just had to cut around the Velcro border. I did leave 1/2 inch of extra vinyl on a couple of the edges to allow a gripping area to pull tight.

I now have a storm door that I can easily remove the vinyl for air flow and it rolls up for easy storage. Think of the rear windows on convertibles and Jeeps. It might not be great for small kids or small dogs.

This works great for us without any permanent modification to the door. I am still waiting for GD to come up with a storm door.

GAF

Mark&Lisa
    Very smart, post pictures if you get a chance. Would love to see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just added Plexiglas to our door so we also can leave the door open. Husband cut the Plexiglas to fit on the inside of the door in the channels. It is a pain to get in and we won't be taking it in and out. It looks great and works well. Will keep you posted on whether we like it or not.
    John and Sue
    From Virginia
    2018 F150 5.0L V8
    2021 Transcend Xplor 200MK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sue-that’s exactly what we did to protect the screen from dog scratches. Works great!
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screendoor_lowrez.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	31175

Here's my screen door mod. Have done this on last three trailers. Two pieces, held on by mirror hangers. You can take them off, but we never do. We get plenty of ventilation through the windows.

Got the Acrylic sheets at Lowes (about $70). Much cheaper than plexiglass or Lexan. If you give them the the dimensions, they will cut the two rectangular pieces for you. You will have to round the top of one and cut a notch out of the other. I used a speed saw (like a large dremel) to trim mine. If you use a jig saw, go very slow and careful. You can easily crack and ruin the panel (don't ask how I know this)!

This is my favorite and most beneficial mod.

Ken
    2020 Reflection 31MB Fifth Wheel
    2007 Ford F350 diesel