Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine XLS 22 MLE Hitch suggestion and advice

Greetings,

I'm just in the process of buying a 2021 22 MLE. We are downsizing from a 35 foot Jayco 32 BHDS that I tow with a ProPride hitch, so I'm not a beginner. However, I'm thinking about a lighter hitch for the 22 MLE. My truck is quite capable, as it's a 2018 Ram 3500 diesel, so I don't foresee any trouble towing.

I'm looking for advice on what hitch to pick. I've always liked the Equalizer brand hitch, but there are so many new hitches out there. Are the 1200 pound bars too heavy for this trailer?

Also, I will be picking it up 3 hours away and I'm thinking about using a Reese hitch I have from a previous trailer, 1200 pound bars, and no added sway control, for the drive home. Anyone think that is a bad idea? If it were closer, I'd probably not worry about the hitch I use for towing it home

Thanks, Drew

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don’t need a wdh

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew A View Post
    Greetings,

I'm just in the process of buying a 2021 22 MLE. We are downsizing from a 35 foot Jayco 32 BHDS that I tow with a ProPride hitch, so I'm not a beginner. However, I'm thinking about a lighter hitch for the 22 MLE. My truck is quite capable, as it's a 2018 Ram 3500 diesel, so I don't foresee any trouble towing.

I'm looking for advice on what hitch to pick. I've always liked the Equalizer brand hitch, but there are so many new hitches out there. Are the 1200 pound bars too heavy for this trailer?

Also, I will be picking it up 3 hours away and I'm thinking about using a Reese hitch I have from a previous trailer, 1200 pound bars, and no added sway control, for the drive home. Anyone think that is a bad idea? If it were closer, I'd probably not worry about the hitch I use for towing it home

Thanks, Drew
    Congratulations on your soon to be 22mle! We really like ours.

Even with a HD truck you can/may still experience sway. My thinking is for the few hundred dollars spent on a WDH, it is good insurance.

We have been using an Andersen for more than five years now. It’s light, easy on/off, quiet, can back up without removing it, easy to adjust, rated for up to 14,000lb gross trailer, and up to 1,400lb tongue.

Years ago when I was researching hitches I found several reviews on the Forest River forum. There are now many people using an Andersen there, here’s just one example. If you look at the signatures you’ll notice HD trucks. Many other threads on there as well.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...em-211171.html
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keeping the tongue heavy will eliminate any sway event but maybe some 1 ton guys will chime in but I am quite sure even at 750 lb TW it will not squat your truck much if any at all

Wdh are to transfer weight back to the front. I doubt you will need to do that but you know your truck

Rv haulers use trucks like yours to haul very large heavy trailers long distances and they don’t use hitches

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

Thanks, Drew
    Welcome to the forum and the 22mle group. The tongue weight will be 12.5% so in and around 750lbs. Of course it all depend on how you load it. The bars on my Husky Centerline are for 800 to 1200 if memory serves me right. Since you already have the Reese and a 1 ton, I'd give that a try first and go from there.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I feel better about towing it home with the Reese I have now. Once I get it home, I'll look into a new hitch.

For those with the Andersen, how well does it fit on the A-Frame? I watched some videos on hitching up. It looks like you can either unscrew/screw on the nuts every time or raise the back of the truck sufficiently to drop the triangular plate. How quick is hitching/unhitching with the Andersen?

-Drew

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I feel better about towing it home with the Reese I have now. Once I get it home, I'll look into a new hitch.

For those with the Andersen, how well does it fit on the A-Frame? I watched some videos on hitching up. It looks like you can either unscrew/screw on the nuts every time or raise the back of the truck sufficiently to drop the triangular plate. How quick is hitching/unhitching with the Andersen?

-Drew
    I have the bracket just behind the LP tank, ~90ft lbs of torque. See photo below.

Yes, you can just raise the jack and unhook the triangle plate and set it on the ground so you don’t need to redo the nuts when leaving. I have always undone the nuts to remove the plate and chains in order to store it in the truck so it doesn’t walk off or sit in mud in case of rain. It takes less than 5 minutes.

I’m using an 8” shank in the rise position which works for me given the height of the rear of my truck.

3350 WDH kit will be the 4” drop/rise - it has the 2 5/16” ball and correct bracket size for your 22mle
    3380 WDH kit will be the 8” drop/rise - same as above

Coupler height of the 22mle ground to bottom of coupler is about 21 3/4”

If in doubt about fitment you can call their CS department which is very helpful.

PS - the 22mle frame is 5”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78D9F07E-8B3A-4343-8D81-4A4762977A4B.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	32612
    Last edited by Tigger1; 03-11-2021 at 06:30 AM.
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    I have the bracket just behind the LP tank, ~90ft lbs of torque. See photo below.

Yes, you can just raise the jack and unhook the triangle plate and set it on the ground so you don’t need to redo the nuts when leaving. I have always undone the nuts to remove the plate and chains in order to store it in the truck so it doesn’t walk off or sit in mud in case of rain. It takes less than 5 minutes.

I’m using an 8” shank in the rise position which works for me given the height of the rear of my truck.

3350 WDH kit will be the 4” drop/rise - it has the 2 5/16” ball and correct bracket size for your 22mle
    3380 WDH kit will be the 8” drop/rise - same as above

Coupler height of the 22mle ground to bottom of coupler is about 21 3/4”

If in doubt about fitment you can call their CS department which is very helpful.

PS - the 22mle frame is 5”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78D9F07E-8B3A-4343-8D81-4A4762977A4B.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	32612
    Ugh. I don’t like the angle those brackets are getting pulled to

I like the downward force a standard system provides and not a pulling force on a bracket

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Ugh. I don’t like the angle those brackets are getting pulled to

I like the downward force a standard system provides and not a pulling force on a bracket

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Please do some research on the hitch to see that is normal before making a judgement call.
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    Please do some research on the hitch to see that is normal before making a judgement call.
    Just said I don’t like the forces it is exerting. I have looked at the Andersen before

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast