User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    I was thinking how nice it would be to use the existing cable to chase a new one from point A to point B, but if the route has really sharp angles then it might snag I guess...
    Before anything, you might just want to remove the plate in the storage and verify the coax cable color and then remove that coax from the booster plate and take it direct to the satellite receiver. If the F-connectors weren't installed properly you might be loosing signal to ground. Bypassing that plate is a fast way to find out.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent suggestion, thanks!
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I verified the gray cable on both ends but doubt the inside one will reach the dish box, but I'll try. Otherwise I need more barrel connectors and short cables...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like we will be staying in the 5W for a while at home due to work on the house. I would like to temporarily move the set top box to the 5W and use it with the TV in there.
    Has anyone done this and what are the hookups needed from the dish to the 5W and within the 5W?
    Thanks in advance.
    We actually do something similar, but backwards. We take our dish antenna from our RV and use it in our back patio and pool cage so that we have TV out there. But from my understanding talking to people that do what you want to do, including my sister-in-law, They simply run a coaxial from the permanently mounted dish antenna on their house into the outside satellite connection of their RV. Then take their top Box in (next to the main TV in their RV) and running a jumper coaxial out of the prewired satellite dish coaxial outlet point and plug it into their top Box and then run an HDMI cable from their top Box into a HDMI port on the tv. They do this when company's coming over and staying in the .RV and works very well. Mind you the antenna and the Box have to be mated together. We have found out you cannot use different antennas and different top boxes that have not been mated by serial numbers with the Carrier.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dish or any Satellite based system

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I use Dish when traveling with a Winegard Pathway antenna. I couldn’t get the Grand Design coax to work reliably so I ended up running a new cable though a bulkhead coax connector connector in the slide out floor of my Reflection 337RLS. Then behind the fireplace into the cabinet above the TV. I placed the dish box in the cabinet.

I found the RV coax subpar. I bought some 50 ft Quad Shielded coax https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GBVYAZC/ to run from the antenna to the bulkhead connector and a shorter piece of Quad shielded coax inside from bulkhead to dish box. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758GBZ92

The bulkhead connector was similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-FTVIN...dp/B017P8HASY/
    JerryR,

After what amounted to a couple years of frustration attempting to use the OEM cable for satellite, experimentation with other wires in the system, I finally bit the bullet and did what I should have done, long ago. I too have dedicated a line from the bottom of my 303's slide out, up behind the fireplace and into the media cabinet. Now performance of my Dish system is consistent, signal levels improved and peace and tranquility is once again part of our TV entertainment time.

For anyone who has trepidations about putting a hole in your coach to install a coax cable outlet, keep in mind that this is your home away from home, you own it and done properly, you will have another means of bringing signal into your retreat. Heck, if you expand on this little installation you can accommodate things like Wi-Fi and cell signal boosters or some other RF delivered service by putting in a double connector plate and inlet.

You say your TV is not on the slide-out side, no worries. The inlet that JerryR links to looks good (white also available) on the outside and whereas this is RF, not hi-voltage, a box on the inside wall is not really needed. Walls are too thin for old-work boxes anyway. If you don't feel comfortable mounting just a cable plate on the wall, do just what GD did and use a surface mounted box (Wiremold brand or similar) for your inside TV jack. An economical solution to no-hassle satellite reception. You may even find that you can increase the length of cabling outside for those tree-lined sites and still get very good performance from your system. I carry three different cable lengths in my Pathway dish bag for outside use that covers most all circumstances. If you choose to use barrel connectors, consider moisture proofing, even if it is good electrical tape for the short term or monkey dung and tape for the long term. (apologies to the monkeys)

Happy Viewing!
    Last edited by Swbailey; 03-25-2021 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I was surprised because cable hookups at campgrounds have all worked so far.
    One amazon review spoke to the GHz rating of the barrel so I wonder if that may be the problem from the factory, the wrong barrel for Dish vs. Direct?
    Dan and Rita

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking into barrel color and bandwidth, I notice my home has blue barrels for connectors, which I think is good for 3 GHz. The 260RD has a light orange barrel inside and probably outside also. I'm thinking maybe that is the issue...any electronics/signals geeks here to confirm?
    Dan and Rita

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking into barrel color and bandwidth, I notice my home has blue barrels for connectors, which I think is good for 3 GHz. The 260RD has a light orange barrel inside and probably outside also. I'm thinking maybe that is the issue...any electronics/signals geeks here to confirm?
    There's no standard color coding unfortunately. There are several tells of a cheap, unrated barrel though to the discerning eye... No matter how you slice it, the more splitters, barrels and connectors on top of long lengths, the greater the signal degradation. Signal amplifier is one way to tell without getting intrusive.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123