User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repositioning safety chains

Unfortunately, my Equalizer hitch has damaged my chains at the attachment point on the trailer and need to be replaced.
    To avoid the issue in the future, I need to move them. Would a weld on bracket or a couple of grade 8 bolts/nuts/washers through the frame be best? The bolts I could do myself. The welding I would need done at a shop.
    I would think either would be a better option than the existing connection point, but I am by no means an expert on this.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t understand how the hitch hurt anything

Pictures?

Do your chains not easily reach the receiver on the truck?

My past Jayco had such a drop on the hitch that I needed extensions on the chains to reach truck
    My imagine is fine

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201220_221139296.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	32646
    Here is a close up of my chains where the hitch has pinched them.
    It appears to be a common issue with some trailers (multiple brands, probably all Lippert chassis) and the Equalizer hitch depending upon where the weld point has been located.

And chains are not tight at all. I believe the hitch head pinches this area on tight turns.
    Last edited by Shill123; 03-12-2021 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added information
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2022 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow

Tons of people use Equalizer hitches. I use to on my Jayco but use a Husky now but the head is similar

Don’t think it gets that close

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems I may not be the only one experiencing the issue. I first was alerted to the possibility of the issue via the XLS Facebook page where several users have had the same issue (but not all).
    And I also can find multiple posts in varying brand forums of the same issues. Example
    So I guess I am looking for advice on how to correct the issue and be safe.

1) Take to a weld shop, have the original cut off and new bar repositioned just slightly back to clear the hitch head.
    2) Take to a weld shop and have them repositioned with weld-able safety chain connection points (Like E-Trailer sells).
    3) Drill into frame just past the welded on coupler and use some grade 8 bolts/nuts to connect the chain.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2022 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I have to look closely at mine. Thanks for the heads up.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shill123 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201220_221139296.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	32646
    Here is a close up of my chains where the hitch has pinched them.
    It appears to be a common issue with some trailers (multiple brands, probably all Lippert chassis) and the Equalizer hitch depending upon where the weld point has been located.

And chains are not tight at all. I believe the hitch head pinches this area on tight turns.
    When we had our Imagine 2950, and when I pulled my enclosed car trailer the chain ends were separated where they attached to the trailer tongue. Then I would always cross over the chains making a cradle so to speak when attaching to the truck. I don't like how your chain ends are attached to the trailer tongue at the same point.
    We pulled our imagine with a equalizer hitch and never had a pinch on the chains. They may have changed where they are attaching the chains to the trailer tongue thus placing them closer to the hitch head/ball and thus with the equalizer hitch, it causes more of a potential for pinching the chains.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    When we had our Imagine 2950, and when I pulled my enclosed car trailer the chain ends were separated where they attached to the trailer tongue. Then I would always cross over the chains making a cradle so to speak when attaching to the truck. I don't like how your chain ends are attached to the trailer tongue at the same point.
    We pulled our imagine with a equalizer hitch and never had a pinch on the chains. They may have changed where they are attaching the chains to the trailer tongue thus placing them closer to the hitch head/ball and thus with the equalizer hitch, it causes more of a potential for pinching the chains.
    My Imagine is just like this but my hitch is not making contact

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, my Equalizer hitch has damaged my chains at the attachment point on the trailer and need to be replaced.
    To avoid the issue in the future, I need to move them. Would a weld on bracket or a couple of grade 8 bolts/nuts/washers through the frame be best? The bolts I could do myself. The welding I would need done at a shop.
    I would think either would be a better option than the existing connection point, but I am by no means an expert on this.
    I would have shop weld a loop onto the frame so you could attach the chain to the frame sides and not right at the point behind the coupler. The chain link itself should not be welded as it weakens the link. You could then use appropriately sized clevis to connect your chain. Or, bolt on D-ring using correctly rated hardware.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this while looking for other stuff. Hopefully link works.

https://www.zoro.com/buyers-products...00/i/G3764770/
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast