User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my set up, as you can see due to the length of the chains and the angle they drop at, you can’t pinch them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5085.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	40735
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXDale View Post
    Had the same issue in our Inside XLS 23bhe with a 10k Equal-i-zer. Worst thing was, our dealer strongly advocated for the Camco Recurce R3 which they seem to sell pretty often, and I insisted on the Equal-i-zer, as I had a few k version with our previous trailer and loved it. The pinching issue was one thing, and then our 10k version needs a lot more frequent greasing than our old one...

Back to to topic: after deciding against a new hitch and having the chain attachment points relocated, I bought a hitch ball with a 1" rise. To make sure that the threads don't get hig by the Equal-i-zer's arms, i added two large hardened steel washers, which gave another little lift to the ball. It came out perfect, no danger of hitting anymore for a $25 investment or so.
    Thank you for your response. If you have your trailer onsite (or a photo) could you post a photo of your new safety chain attachment points? Did you do the work or hire a welder? We bought a 1" rise but even with the right socket size couldn't undo the old ball, our lever arm for the socket doesn't seem to have the power to release that amount of torque. We might try to take it to an Autozone or somewhere that can help us undo and install (with proper torque) the new ball. We will also consider the washer under the ball. I too was wondering if relocating the safety chain attachment to the sides of the frame would interfere with the WDH arms. If you don't have a photo but have a link to the attachments that you bought, that might be helpful too. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Imagine 21BHE
    Florida

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I’ve would start with a longer chain, it wouldn’t be in that pinch point if it were just a touch longer.

On mine the chain attach points are much closer to the bumper, looks like your hitch receiver is a bit further back behind the bumper moving that attachment point further back.
    Yes I think our set up was poorly done. ¼" too far forward for the safety chain attachment hook, and the hitch receiver could have been about ¼" more forward and we wouldn't have a problem. The chains get in the way even if hanging straight down. The WDH chunky part even touches the safety chain attachment hook when turned pretty tight. I will see how PDXDale redid his, or maybe have a welder relocate our chain attachment to the frame sides, or have them move the hook back ¾ of an inch if possible, and add a 1" ball riser. Thanks for your picture and thoughts.
    Imagine 21BHE
    Florida

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyBaum View Post
    I went out and checked my chains today, since I have a 2500RL and the Equalizer hitch. I also have a nearly cut through passenger side chain link right at the welded loop. I'm interested in what you ended up doing to fix this going forward.
    AndyBaum - if you are still around this forum... did you fix your hitch/chain crush problem? If so how? Thanks! (photos would be helpful if possible)
    Imagine 21BHE
    Florida

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did this mod 2 weeks ago on my 2600RB. Used a cutoff wheel to cut out the 2 damaged links and the attachment bar. 5/16 chain anchors from Amazon. A local portable welder provided the welding. Was lucky that the chains were just long enough after removing the 2 links and positioning the anchors. The sway bars did present a challenge but in this location the chains are not pinched on tight turns. Also with the outboard mounting the crossed chains provide more of a cradle should the tongue drop. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chain reposition.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	40741
    Last edited by hnsbrighton; 05-22-2022 at 07:46 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2019 Suburban

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you hnsbrighton. The photo is helpful. I know each location is different, but ballpark what did the mobile welder charge to remove the old attachment bar and install the two side anchors? Thanks so much, we appreciate the Grand RV village!!
    Imagine 21BHE
    Florida

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnSeeker View Post
    Thank you hnsbrighton. The photo is helpful. I know each location is different, but ballpark what did the mobile welder charge to remove the old attachment bar and install the two side anchors? Thanks so much, we appreciate the Grand RV village!!
    I cut off the old mount bar myself with a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. The welder charged $150 but most of that was probably a travel charge. I don't know if it would have cost any more for him to do the 2 cuts.
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2019 Suburban

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnSeeker View Post
    Thank you for your response. If you have your trailer onsite (or a photo) could you post a photo of your new safety chain attachment points? Did you do the work or hire a welder? We bought a 1" rise but even with the right socket size couldn't undo the old ball, our lever arm for the socket doesn't seem to have the power to release that amount of torque. We might try to take it to an Autozone or somewhere that can help us undo and install (with proper torque) the new ball. We will also consider the washer under the ball. I too was wondering if relocating the safety chain attachment to the sides of the frame would interfere with the WDH arms. If you don't have a photo but have a link to the attachments that you bought, that might be helpful too. Any suggestions are welcome.

Sorry, I kind of wrote my previous post in a weird way. What I meant is, that I decided against both, new hitch and relocating the chain hangers. Only the riser ball, which gave me enough height difference so that the chains and the hangers can't be pinched anymore.
    To loosen the old hitch ball and tighten the new one to spec, I just stopped at a local RV dealer. They didn't even want money for it, I forced them to take $10.

Photos below: Riser Hitch ball and washers after installing, angle of truck and trailer when testing clearance, and picture of achieved clearance. Right blue arrow shows the marks in the hitch head where it previously contacted the chains and chain hangers. With the new ball, the hangers now clear above that area, where the hitch head is out of the danger zone. In my case, longer chains wouldn't really have helped, as the hitch head would still contact the chain hangers even when I pulled the chains out of the pinch zone.
    Last photo is before new ball was installed. You can see the markings on both hitch head and chain hangers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200714_213715.jpg   20200814_165512.jpg   IMG-20200814-WA0003.jpg   20200711_205907.jpg  
    Last edited by PDXDale; 05-22-2022 at 11:53 PM.
    2020 Imagine XLS 23bhe with a cold bedroom
    2018 F150 STX 5.0

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I kind of wrote my previous post in a weird way. What I meant is, that I decided against both, new hitch and relocating the chain hangers. Only the riser ball, which gave me enough height difference so that the chains and the hangers can't be pinched anymore.
    To loosen the old hitch ball and tighten the new one to spec, I just stopped at a local RV dealer. They didn't even want money for it, I forced them to take $10.

Photos below: Riser Hitch ball and washers after installing, angle of truck and trailer when testing clearance, and picture of achieved clearance. Right blue arrow shows the marks in the hitch head where it previously contacted the chains and chain hangers. With the new ball, the hangers now clear above that area, where the hitch head is out of the danger zone. In my case, longer chains wouldn't really have helped, as the hitch head would still contact the chain hangers even when I pulled the chains out of the pinch zone.
    Last photo is before new ball was installed. You can see the markings on both hitch head and chain hangers.
    Thank you so much for the visual, we really appreciate the help.
    Imagine 21BHE
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that a 1” or 2” rise ball? I’m considering both posted options. Since my links are already damaged I’m considering relocating with the buyers weld on attachment points or the riser ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast