Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50A wiring question

On our 2022 315 RLTS travel trailer the 50A connection is at one end of the "coffee bar" and the breaker panel is at the other end. Nice, short run of heavy wire. I'm going to be adding a Victron MultiPlus II this fall. The plan is to mount that in the front pass-through compartment. In theory, all I have to do is run the existing wires into the MultiPlus and add another set of wires from it to the panel. The problem I'm trying to figure out is that the MultiPlus II is also an inverter and battery charger. The existing charger/converter is located in the area under the "coffee bar." That means that wires run from there to the batteries on the tongue, and then wires come back to the inverter behind the bathroom sink.

With the MultiPlus II I don't need either the existing converter/charger or inverter, since it provides all of those in one device. Would it make sense to relocate the 50A shore power connection to in that pass-through compartment, since I will have to run new wires from the MultiPlus II to the breaker box anyway? The other alternative is to put a junction box under the "coffee bar" and pull two 50A cables from there to the MultiPlus II.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    On our 2022 315 RLTS travel trailer the 50A connection is at one end of the "coffee bar" and the breaker panel is at the other end. Nice, short run of heavy wire. I'm going to be adding a Victron MultiPlus II this fall. The plan is to mount that in the front pass-through compartment. In theory, all I have to do is run the existing wires into the MultiPlus and add another set of wires from it to the panel. The problem I'm trying to figure out is that the MultiPlus II is also an inverter and battery charger. The existing charger/converter is located in the area under the "coffee bar." That means that wires run from there to the batteries on the tongue, and then wires come back to the inverter behind the bathroom sink.

With the MultiPlus II I don't need either the existing converter/charger or inverter, since it provides all of those in one device. Would it make sense to relocate the 50A shore power connection to in that pass-through compartment, since I will have to run new wires from the MultiPlus II to the breaker box anyway? The other alternative is to put a junction box under the "coffee bar" and pull two 50A cables from there to the MultiPlus II.
    That depends on how "clean" you want everything to be once you are done and how much stomach you have for working on it.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just went thru this exact process. On our rig, the coffee bar has the breaker panel as well as shore power connector. I chose to put (2) lithium batteries under the bed which shares a wall with basement. In the basement is my Multiplus and MPPT units. I ran (2) 6awg wire from coffee bar to the basement; each wire was around 25ft long and ~$200 each! Under the coffee bar, I terminated each 6awg wire with a connector. HERE is the 50amp MALE in yellow. HERE is the 50amp FEMALE in yellow. I got another set, but in GREEN color. Now I plug my Hughs Watchdog into the YELLOW connectors and leave the GREEN connectors mated as these are the return from Multiplus. I unplugged my converter from AC outlet on back of breaker box and left it in place.

With this setup I am mostly prepared for a situation where the multiplus fails badly. I hope to "just" plug the output of the Hughs into the GREEN connector going to breakers. Once I plug in the converter, the trailer would otherwise be back to stock.

I was not impressed with design of the YELLOW/GREEN connectors with 6awg wire. They seem to be designed for a much smaller wire, but I did get them to work.

Hope this makes sense, Tom
    2022 GD 2970RL (soon to be "released")
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50A wiring question

Definitely a dilemma with this model, not too many choices for hardware location.

I chose to put it all in the curbside closet.

Plan to run the 6 awg ac wire under the chloroplast (need to drop it to run it to the front pass through). Then across the top of the pass through and up into the closet floor.

I have the batteries there as well.

Plan to take out the existing converter/charger that I swapped out a couple of years ago.

Then plan to run new 6 awg from my Lynx distributor to my new shutoff and to the converter resettable breaker in the front.

I did see a video (The Dry Campers linked below with our rig/floor plan) where they put it all between the coffee bar and the drawers in the bedroom, but just too tight and not easily serviceable.

Part 1
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ipZzXA9EmRI

Part 2
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3EEo2Svb96A

I have my batteries and solar installed. Still need to run the ac wire and finish the crimps for the 4/0 and do the final installation.

I plan to leave my original shore power, but it makes real sense to relocate closer to all the “stuff”.

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 08-28-2023 at 08:59 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched the videos, and yes, it is too tight. I'm not sure I like having those electronics that close to the plumbing. With my luck I'll spring a leak that will require removal of the electronics before I can get to the plumbing. That's why I'm looking at the pass-through space.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to get into that space behind the two drawers today, so I was able to see what my trailer is like there. No, I'm not going to put anything in there. Nice to see that I could probably run something from the coffee bar to that space if needed - maybe.

The inverter is in there and one of these days I'm going to have to spend some time studying that thing and maybe getting a few pictures so I can study while sitting in a chair instead of standing on my head. Some of the 12v wiring didn't look quite right at first glance, but I wasn't there for that, so I concentrated on the task at hand.
    David Lininger, kb0zke

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to get into that space behind the two drawers today, so I was able to see what my trailer is like there. No, I'm not going to put anything in there. Nice to see that I could probably run something from the coffee bar to that space if needed - maybe.

The inverter is in there and one of these days I'm going to have to spend some time studying that thing and maybe getting a few pictures so I can study while sitting in a chair instead of standing on my head. Some of the 12v wiring didn't look quite right at first glance, but I wasn't there for that, so I concentrated on the task at hand.
    I agree. My rig didn’t come with a factory inverter so mine is open. Like you said not sure I would want to put an electrical device right in front of a water heater.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS