Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water pump dewinterization

I've watched several videos and searched the forum here for the steps to dewinterize. This includes the official one from Grand Design (https://youtu.be/xtQawh-01kc) which does not reference using the suction tube to run clean water through the water pump but rather runs water using city water. Other posts and videos vary on which order they run water through the pump.

My questions?
    1. is it necessary to use the suction tube to pull water through the water pump when dewinterizing?
    2. If yes does it matter where in the process that happens?
    3. Can you dewinterize without city water by using fresh water tank?
    4. Do you have a favorite video or checklist for dewinterizing the plumbing system?
    Rob and Joyce
    Grayslake IL
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2020 Ford F150 XLT 3.5L

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt225 View Post
    I've watched several videos and searched the forum here for the steps to dewinterize. This includes the official one from Grand Design (https://youtu.be/xtQawh-01kc) which does not reference using the suction tube to run clean water through the water pump but rather runs water using city water. Other posts and videos vary on which order they run water through the pump.

My questions?
    1. is it necessary to use the suction tube to pull water through the water pump when dewinterizing?

It's necessary to get water running through the pump, as you obviously know. Suction will work, but since in de-winterizing you're also going to be putting fresh water (and maybe a disinfectant) into the fresh tank it's probably easier to just pull some of that through the pump before you dump the tank.

2. If yes does it matter where in the process that happens?

Depends on the approach you take; pulling fresh water through the pump and out of faucets is the goal.

3. Can you dewinterize without city water by using fresh water tank?

Sure. More wear on the pump though - it will need to run a fair bit to push fresh water through each line and faucet.

4. Do you have a favorite video or checklist for dewinterizing the plumbing system?

No, sorry, but maybe it's less-complicated than you're thinking it is? Just get clean fresh water flowed through every line and out every fixture, including exterior faucets/lines and washing machine lines (if you have them).

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always used the city water connection on my last trailer to flush the system.
    Actually in my 6 seasons of using it I have never put water in the fresh tank

This new Imagine I plan on using the tank more
    I will de winterize solely with the onboard pump so I can ensure there are not leaks

A pump that won’t shut off or runs intermittently is evidence of a leak allowing you to shut the pump off quickly
    With a city water connection you won’t know you have a leak until you see a leak or worse see a pool of water
    Also always use a pressure reducer for city connections

I plan on opening up all of the plumbing areas I can then engaging the pump so I can quickly ascertain it is all good

Just make sure you leave the hot water heater out of all of the flushing. Don’t want antifreeze in it

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload