User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection unhitching questions

Hello All. We pick up our 260RD next week and it'll be a week or 2 later that we head out for the first time. This is our first 5th wheel - we had a Class C for 3 years - and I'm confused on the unhitching sequence. I'm assuming the first step is to unhitch the truck. When do you plug into the power post, before or after leveling? At the other end, hitching up, when do you disconnect the power? Another question; how far off level can the rig be before I start the self leveling process? At times on my class C (manual leveling), I would raise one or more tires 6+ inches on blocks to get level. Using blocks and the leveling system on the 260XD is there a limit to how unlevel the ground can be? Thanks for the help, John

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
    Hello All. We pick up our 260RD next week and it'll be a week or 2 later that we head out for the first time. This is our first 5th wheel - we had a Class C for 3 years - and I'm confused on the unhitching sequence. I'm assuming the first step is to unhitch the truck. When do you plug into the power post, before or after leveling? At the other end, hitching up, when do you disconnect the power? Another question; how far off level can the rig be before I start the self leveling process? At times on my class C (manual leveling), I would raise one or more tires 6+ inches on blocks to get level. Using blocks and the leveling system on the 260XD is there a limit to how unlevel the ground can be? Thanks for the help, John
    When unhitching, we eyeball how level it is. It's best to be pretty close to level when you start out. We pull in, check for level, then place landing pads under where the legs will be. Turn on auto level control and scroll down to "drop landing gear", hit "enter" and the front gear then drops and takes a bit of the weight off the truck. When display shows "ready", I lower front legs to raise rig off truck. When the truck stops moving up, we unhitch and pull truck forward. Then hit "auto level". When auto level completes, we start moving in, husband does electrical/water connections, and I go in and put out slides.

Basically do it all in reverse for hitching up. Husband disconnects power/water (after dumping), and I close up slides and lock the door.

If the ground just isn't level, we use leveling boards to raise low side to even things up side to side before starting leveling process.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When unhitching the first thing we do is to put chocks down at the wheels of the trailer. It's no fun watching (according to my cousin) your new trailer roll down a slight decline and into a tree.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    When unhitching the first thing we do is to put chocks down at the wheels of the trailer. It's no fun watching (according to my cousin) your new trailer roll down a slight decline and into a tree.
    Yeah, I didn't say anything about the chocks, but they go down the same time as the landing pads. Before we do anything else.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have auto level so we are a little different. First get the trailer very close to where you will set up. Check level side to side and if you need to place blocking on a side do it now and pull onto blocking. Next chock wheels both in front and in back of wheels. Lower front jacks until weight is off fifth wheel and you can just see it lift. Pull release on kingpin lock, unplug pig tail from truck and drop tailgate. pull truck forward and completely clear of trailer leaving room to walk between truck and trailer. Level front to back. When you are happy with level plug into pedestal and lower back jack stabilizers to a snug fit. Next check inside to make sure nothing is in the way of running slides out and all cabinet doors are shut, then run slides out to about 1' left with one person outside watching and making sure nothing is in the way of the sides going all the way out. Check one more time inside that nothing is between the slide inner lips and the wall. Run them out the rest of the way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If relatively level here is our sequence
    1. Chock wheels
    2. Lower front jacks about 6 holes
    3. Ground front jacks
    4. Unlock hitch
    5. Raise trailer to take pressure off of hitch
    6. Open/release hitch
    7. Raise trailer slightly so about 1/8th to 1/4" above hitch plate
    8. Pull truck out.
    9. Plug in 50 amp
    10. Push auto level
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone posted this a few years ago. Great details. KEN

How to Hitch/Unhitch a 5th Wheel

HITCHING A 5TH WHEEL

Be sure wheel chocks are in place
    Be sure the rear stabilizers are UP on the 5th wheel. (Check the cross-stabilizers are loosened if you have them)
    Lower tailgate on tow truck.
    Back the tow truck until the king pin on the 5th wheel is close to the hitch
    Use the front-landing gear and raise or lower the king pin so that it is slightly lower than the 5th wheel plate.
    Open the arm/jaws on the 5th wheel hitch
    Back tow truck slowly until kingpin engages up the 5th wheel hitch and automatically locks on jaws
    You can see the handle close on its own if you are lined up right and back far enough
    Put the emergency brake on
    Close the arm/jaws on the 5th wheel hitch and pin into place
    Visually check that the jaws of the hitch are around the king pin
    Connect power cord between tow truck and the trailer.
    Connect breakaway switch cable.
    Test: Manually activate the tow trucks trailer brake and take off the emergency brake. Press the gas and try to pull away from the 5th wheel. Put the emergency brake back on
    Raise the landing gear to their fully retracted position
    Raise tailgate
    Pick up and store wheel chocks.
    You may need to pull the 5th wheel forward a little to remove blocks under the low-side tire.
    Always walk around the 5th wheel and use our checklist for departure

CHECKLIST (See complete Departure Checklist)

Check all lights. A second person is handy and again we use our cell phones.
    Check lock is closed..
    Check that TV antenna is down and in the correct position or satellite dish is removed.
    Check that all park connections are disconnected; water, electricity, cable.
    Check that all windows, doors and steps are closed and secured properly.
    Check that chocks have been removed.
    Walk around the entire trailer to be sure everything is secured properly.
    Look at your campsite to be sure it is clean and you are ready to travel.

UNHITCHING A 5TH WHEEL

Find a level site and situate 5th wheel where you want it parked
    Chock the wheels
    Drop the landing gear
    Disconnect the cord and breakaway switch cable
    Drop the tow truck's tailgate
    Gently put the truck into reverse without giving it an acceleration. This will move the kingpin off the locking bar and allow you to disengage it
    Shift the truck into neutral
    Step on the brake and apply parking brake
    Disengage the kingpin locking bar on the hitch
    Slowly drive tow truck away from 5th wheel
    Raise truck tailgate
    Adjust 5h wheel height to proper front and back level
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always make sure that the trailer is never plugged into the truck and shore power at the same time.

With our previous truck and trailer I plugged in the shore power while the trailer was still plugged into the truck. Burned up my brake controller. I am not sure if there is a cause and effect but I don’t want to take a chance.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks All for the help. Great Information!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks All for the help. Great Information!
    Hi Jdux999, not sure anyone mentioned what to do on a non-level site. If you find yourself on a site that is unlevel (i.e. backed in and the front is lower than the rear) before you lower the front jacks,and after you lower the stabs, you should run them down a ways...say maybe 6 inches or so. If you don't, when you hit the auto level and the front begins to lower you will max out and runout of jack. The system will stop and give an error.
    Hope this helps...you will know what I mean the first time you don't lower them and have to rehook the truck to start over again.

p.s. this running down of the jack first can apply to any of the jacks that may need to be lowered below their max length...
    Happy RV'ing
    Bradley & Glenna
    2016 29rs Reflection
    2016 Ford F250 - B&W Patriot 18k Slider

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast