Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AC Duct Leaks

I'm picking up the new beast next week and trying to anticipate what it's going to need. I'm coming from A Keystone Outback, and they left no corners uncut when they built the trailer. One thing in particular was there were huge gaps between the AC duct and the registers, and the ceiling was getting more cold ar that the living space. I had to tape all of then along with blocking the duct after the last register to keep air from going to the end of the duct. I also had to do some serious taping at the return air plenum in the unit.
    From what I have seen of Grand Design, I'm not anticipating anything like before but I was wondering if there was anything in particular that I might need to look at. All in all, it looks like a great trailer. I went to a RV show two or three years ago with a buddy and fell in love with the first GD I looked at.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    I'm picking up the new beast next week and trying to anticipate what it's going to need. I'm coming from A Keystone Outback, and they left no corners uncut when they built the trailer. One thing in particular was there were huge gaps between the AC duct and the registers, and the ceiling was getting more cold ar that the living space. I had to tape all of then along with blocking the duct after the last register to keep air from going to the end of the duct. I also had to do some serious taping at the return air plenum in the unit.
    From what I have seen of Grand Design, I'm not anticipating anything like before but I was wondering if there was anything in particular that I might need to look at. All in all, it looks like a great trailer. I went to a RV show two or three years ago with a buddy and fell in love with the first GD I looked at.
    I've only owned two GD trailers, but there probably aren't people around who've owned enough of them to authoritatively answer your question. Probably a good idea to pick up a roll of quality aluminum foil duct tape, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Our first trailer - a Reflection - had about a quarter of its duct connections fall apart within a couple of months. I was obvious that GD had used duct tape chosen for its price rather than its quality. Our Solitude hasn't had any fall-aparts and generally duct work was decent - I've patched a couple of places mostly because I already had the tape left over from the shoddily-done Reflection.

FWIW there haven't been a WHOLE lot of complaints here about it.

Best wishes with yours.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a few places that needed some attention (vents and plenums.) Never hurts to check them!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Place paper towel in front of each vent to make sure air is coming out with furnace running. Remove panel by air handler and look inside for loose or torn duct hosed. Make sure hose for basement is routed through hole in floor. Had problems with all these on my camper.