User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kamakazi98 View Post
    Something worth consideration is getting a tongue scale so you can check our tongue weight (10-15%) before you hook up if you’re that concerned about it. We picked one cuz we’re just like you in terms of “newbies”. Best of luck and congrats.

Sherline LM 2000 - Trailer Tongue Weight Scale 2000lb https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007REK28M..._bza4mSWqfs7tz

A-A-Ron
    This is a good idea.

I have owned one for several years and use it off & on. When we took delivery of our current TT the weight data sheet had my delivered tongue weight at 580#. While doing our PDI I used it and low-and-behold my Sherline was reading 580#!

Kudos to Grand Design for getting the tongue weight correct on the data sheet and kudos to the Sherline tongue weight scale.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    This is a good idea.

I have owned one for several years and use it off & on. When we took delivery of our current TT the weight data sheet had my delivered tongue weight at 580#. While doing our PDI I used it and low-and-behold my Sherline was reading 580#!

Kudos to Grand Design for getting the tongue weight correct on the data sheet and kudos to the Sherline tongue weight scale.
    Yes it is a great idea, and I will add that one should bring it along and check the TW for the return trip. This can be a real eye opener.
    Unlike most other trailer types, TTs TW can vary a lot in the course of a trip. Especially if you boondock. Items can move around the unit or disappear as they are consumed. Food, water,propane,beverages, clothing etc. Depending on your usage and your TTs design, this can make little difference... Or a lot.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dillpunk View Post
    I am less than a week from picking up my first TT, a 2021 Transcend 247bh. I am a cautious person and have done the math multiple times but I would like some of the experts on here to double check if it isn't too much trouble. I wont know exact numbers until I pick up the trailer, get it loaded and get it on a scale but I am trying to do all measurements with extremes here rather than using the GD or Ford advertised numbers. I know people pull these things with far less number crunching all the time but I want to make sure we are safe. Thoughts are appreciated.

Here are my stats:

Tow Vehicle:
    2020 F-150 5.0 Supercrew 6.5 bed
    Curb Weight: 5053
    Payload: 1997
    GCWR: 14,400
    GVWR: 7050
    Trailer Weight Rating: 9000
    Loaded truck weight: ~720lbs (me, wife, 3 small kids and the E2 hitch with room to grow as the kids get bigger)

Trailer:
    Transcend 247bh
    UVW: 5676 (from sticker on our unit)
    GVWR: 6995
    Max Cargo (from sticker): 1279

So if I do the math...

GCWR - Curbweight (loaded) = 14,400 - 5773 = 8627 (max trailer weight is 6995 so should be well within the safety margins?)
    Fully loaded trailer x 15% max hitch weight = 6995 x .15 = 1049lbs max tongue weight
    720lbs hitch and people + 1049 max tongue weight = 1769 < 1997 max payload (228lbs to spare?)

I doubt I will have a fully loaded trailer when I am towing but I want to use the max number to make sure I can take everything the trailer can throw at it. Is 15% tongue weight a solid number or is being in the middle (13%) safer? Do I need to weigh this thing every time I go anywhere? I need a beer...

2dillpunk I'll admit I did not read all the posts but I do hope someone mentioned to get your new setup weighed at the CAT scale when you are fully loaded for your camping adventure. It costs $12 and will give you peace of mind if you still have any doubts after running your numbers. Also note that in all likelihood your RV will get heavier as time goes by. New bikes, outdoor cooking setup, new more comfortable and heavy chairs etc. It just happens to all of us. Congrats on you rig and safe travels!!!
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123