User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing 2800 BH with a 2012 Tundra.

Put money down on a 2019 2800 BH. Truck is a 2012 tundra with 5.7 and 4.30 gears. Anyone have a similar setup? How does the truck do?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlars11 View Post
    Put money down on a 2019 2800 BH. Truck is a 2012 tundra with 5.7 and 4.30 gears. Anyone have a similar setup? How does the truck do?
    I don’t but can’t see any issues

I have noticed Tundras tend to show very low payload numbers but seem capable for much more

What is the payload rating on your drivers door jamb?

Choosing a top quality hitch will help the most

Have fun

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sticker on the door is 1380....so just the camper and family we will be at max if not over.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed a 2007 Rockwood 8298SS that was basically the exact trailer as the 2800BH and the Tundra did great. You will not have any issues with the Tundra and handling this trailer. My payload was 1260lbs and I was Ok. I also highly recommend a Reese Straightline WDH with 1000 lb bars. I used 800 lb bars and they worked fine but 1000 lb would have been better.

Just so you know as well I towed my 297RSTS for a year with my 2009 Tundra as well and the truck did great even with the extra weight. I use the Reese Straightline WDH with 1500 lb bars with this trailer. I was 300 lbs over my payload though but was not over axle rating and had LRE tires on the Tundra as well. My only issue was the small 26 gallon tank on the my Tundra. You might be better off with if you have the bigger tank that some of them come with now.

Enjoy the truck and trailer.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I had a feeling I was overthinking this. I guess that’s what a cold Wisconsin day in January can do to a guy. Just here on the couch thinking about camping! Haha

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sticker on the door is 1380....so just the camper and family we will be at max if not over.
    Yeah I have seen most tundras in that range and some even as low as 1000. Dodge Ram tends to be in the same area

I have the Husky centreline ts and it is an amazing hitch
    Had a 4 point equalizer on my last trailer but if I had to buy another hitch I think I would try the weigh-safe wdh
    It is expensive but the dialing in ability is pretty cool

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at my setup. It tows like a dream, but we tend to travel light. Also, I have not read of many people using the Husky Centerline. It's a great hitch, my setup is very stable.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I do not have a Tundra, your only concern is going to be payload,,, This seems to be the issue with most half tons. Make sure your truck has a trailer brake controller, a good weight distribution hitch that is set up properly and you should be fine.
    My payload on my F150 is 1589 lbs. I am over by approx 100-200 pounds ready to tow. I installed a TBC, added Timbren Bump Stops and Tow Mirrors. I have a Equalizer four point weight distribution hitch with 1400 pound bars. My set up is near perfect. My 2.7 Ecoboost has plenty of power and Torque, especially down low. I am towing a RV with a gross Weight of 7850 lb. I go very light on my fresh water tank, load accordingly to keep my towing weight of the RV to 6700 pounds or less. My Truck (rated at 7600 Lb tow capacity) has no problem towing my GD 2600RB. As i said before my issue is payload, and I will prolly always be over by 100 or so pounds.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 19 Tundra with same gears before my current setup. You will likely want airbags or something similar. The Tundra has a soft rear end. From a power perspective the Tundra is more than capable especially with the gearing. The only downside is you will probably be over payload and have to travel low on gear/stuff. I would tow with the holding tanks empty. My problem was over 60-62, we were being pushed all over the road with wind. If you keep is slower you’ll be ok though.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartin189 View Post
    I had a 19 Tundra with same gears before my current setup. You will likely want airbags or something similar. The Tundra has a soft rear end. From a power perspective the Tundra is more than capable especially with the gearing. The only downside is you will probably be over payload and have to travel low on gear/stuff. I would tow with the holding tanks empty. My problem was over 60-62, we were being pushed all over the road with wind. If you keep is slower you’ll be ok though.
    With a good WDH set up properly you won't need air bags. I never did and had a 1300+ lb tongue weight with the 297 RSTS. Also a good WDH setup properly will go a long way to help with the pushing. I towed with my 2009 Tundra for 11 years and only the highest winds pushed me around but then they were pushing the big rigss too. The key is a good WDH and having it setup properly with the front end with all the unloaded weight back on it. This will prevent the need for airbags and with the push.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast