User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parking in tight campground spaces: Is there a proper etiquette?

I've been RV'ing for years. I'm 62, and camping has changed a lot since I was a kid. I'm not new to towing/parking an RV, but the GD 351M is easily the largest RV I've ever owned. I'm still learning to maneuver it and I'm careful about the spaces I choose, but sometimes I get there and it's still very tight. I was recently leaving a campground and having a very difficult time getting out of the very tight space I had to maneuver in. It took lots of cajoling to finally get her out of the spot. I sincerely try to not inconvenience anyone and was just not able to do anything to move out of the way until I cleared the space. About half way through the process, a fellow in a pickup was blocked by me trying to get out. I was aware of it and did everything I could to get out of the space as quickly as possible without damaging anything. Well, I would estimate that he probably sat there for around 10 minutes. Now, I admit, that is a long time and I hated it. Backing back into the space would have taken just as much time at this juncture. I waved at him once with an "I'm sorry" sort of wave but he did not respond. Anyways, I finally got out and rolled to the end of the park to dump my tanks. He was able to get around me once I was in the pullout. This was in an Oregon park and I am from Idaho. As he drove by he yelled out his window "go back to Idaho" and flipped me the bird. I did not respond in any way, just turned around and continued with my chores. Sorry for the long-winded write-up. This incident has bothered me ever since and it just happened to be the second camping trip in our new RV. I swear, there wasn't any I could have made things happen faster than I did without damaging something. Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior in campgrounds? Of course, I will not be camping in that campground any longer, and maybe that was my first mistake. I'm planning on boon docking soon. Even though it's a bit more difficult to do. Thanks for listening.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
    I've been RV'ing for years. I'm 62, and camping has changed a lot since I was a kid. I'm not new to towing/parking an RV, but the GD 351M is easily the largest RV I've ever owned. I'm still learning to maneuver it and I'm careful about the spaces I choose, but sometimes I get there and it's still very tight. I was recently leaving a campground and having a very difficult time getting out of the very tight space I had to maneuver in. It took lots of cajoling to finally get her out of the spot. I sincerely try to not inconvenience anyone and was just not able to do anything to move out of the way until I cleared the space. About half way through the process, a fellow in a pickup was blocked by me trying to get out. I was aware of it and did everything I could to get out of the space as quickly as possible without damaging anything. Well, I would estimate that he probably sat there for around 10 minutes. Now, I admit, that is a long time and I hated it. Backing back into the space would have taken just as much time at this juncture. I waved at him once with an "I'm sorry" sort of wave but he did not respond. Anyways, I finally got out and rolled to the end of the park to dump my tanks. He was able to get around me once I was in the pullout. This was in an Oregon park and I am from Idaho. As he drove by he yelled out his window "go back to Idaho" and flipped me the bird. I did not respond in any way, just turned around and continued with my chores. Sorry for the long-winded write-up. This incident has bothered me ever since and it just happened to be the second camping trip in our new RV. I swear, there wasn't any I could have made things happen faster than I did without damaging something. Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior in campgrounds? Of course, I will not be camping in that campground any longer, and maybe that was my first mistake. I'm planning on boon docking soon. Even though it's a bit more difficult to do. Thanks for listening.

Nogrey, I am sorry for your bad experience, especially in one of our Oregon State parks. I am an Oregon resident and fellow camper. Please don't feel that all RVers are the same. What you encountered is very much the exception. Let's face it, jerks are everywhere and in these trying times, sometimes everyones patience is taxed. I am not making excuses for this jerks bad behavior but feel that this was very much the exception to what most true RVers do. Please give our parks another try and put this incident into your "jerks are everywhere" file. Wishing you happy camping and I hope you are my neighbor at my next campsite.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly the exception not the rule. what an ******.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
    Don't blame the campground, blame the person.

As others have said, totally not the experience we've had in campgrounds. There have been several times when traffic is delayed/blocked due to rigs coming/going from sites. Most people will just wait. Some will back up and find another way around.

Besides the fact that there are rude, obnoxious people everywhere, I'll just point out there are a lot of first time RV people now. Many of them have no idea "how things work".

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we have all been in that situation of trying to get in or out of awkward camp sites and therefore understand and don't want to rush anyone else. I did it to my neighbor last weekend backing into my driveway for a few minutes.

Some people are just assholes. Don't let them bother you.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were not in the wrong. These things are big, and a lot of the parking spaces are small with plenty to hit on either side. If you just started your pull in/out, I'd just put the RV back in position and let someone pass. But if I'm in a position where I'm blocking and have no quick exit, well, sorry.. Sit back, relax, and I'll be out of the way eventually. People have done it to me, if I'm not towing, often I'll just back up and find a way around, if I am towing, well.. I sit. Once I did get out and help someone park and they seemed to appreciate that, but, I mean, what are you going to do?

Don't sweat it, most of us will see this as part of the experience. And, honestly, for me it's kind of fun on both sides, some people are so good at parking it's amazing and other people, well, I think "hey, I could do better" and just watch them inch in. But I've never been upset/mad/rude about it, that's ridiculous and you should not expect that behavior (trust me, I've blocked some lanes before and everyone was totally cool about it).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When they use sign language to tell me "I'm number 1", I just smile and waive and thank them and ask them to have a good day. Then I smile inside because I know it pissed them off more. Sounds like you handled the situation well. Some people are inherently angry or impatient.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodwrench View Post
    Nogrey, I am sorry for your bad experience, especially in one of our Oregon State parks. I am an Oregon resident and fellow camper. Please don't feel that all RVers are the same. What you encountered is very much the exception. Let's face it, jerks are everywhere and in these trying times, sometimes everyones patience is taxed. I am not making excuses for this jerks bad behavior but feel that this was very much the exception to what most true RVers do. Please give our parks another try and put this incident into your "jerks are everywhere" file. Wishing you happy camping and I hope you are my neighbor at my next campsite.
    I probably didn't say it very well, but what I meant to say was I wouldn't be staying at that park again, and not because of the person I described, but because the spaces were just too small. I can see where that could be misunderstood. No, I love Oregon, so many beautiful places there! I only mentioned Oregon at all because of the fact that I had Idaho plates and that's how he knew to tell me where to go! Thanks for your reply, I certainly will be camping in Oregon!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    You were not in the wrong. These things are big, and a lot of the parking spaces are small with plenty to hit on either side. If you just started your pull in/out, I'd just put the RV back in position and let someone pass. But if I'm in a position where I'm blocking and have no quick exit, well, sorry.. Sit back, relax, and I'll be out of the way eventually. People have done it to me, if I'm not towing, often I'll just back up and find a way around, if I am towing, well.. I sit. Once I did get out and help someone park and they seemed to appreciate that, but, I mean, what are you going to do?

Don't sweat it, most of us will see this as part of the experience. And, honestly, for me it's kind of fun on both sides, some people are so good at parking it's amazing and other people, well, I think "hey, I could do better" and just watch them inch in. But I've never been upset/mad/rude about it, that's ridiculous and you should not expect that behavior (trust me, I've blocked some lanes before and everyone was totally cool about it).
    That's the way I feel too, and I've turned my truck off a few times to wait for someone to inch in. Good idea on getting out to offer your help, it probably puts them at ease to know you're not being impatient.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    When they use sign language to tell me "I'm number 1", I just smile and waive and thank them and ask them to have a good day. Then I smile inside because I know it pissed them off more. Sounds like you handled the situation well. Some people are inherently angry or impatient.

:-0 That's probably true!
    Last edited by Nogrey; 01-06-2021 at 05:28 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast