Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof leak around shower sky light

Well whenI last washed my rig before our last trip. I happened to notice a lot of dust and stuff on my roof vents and so I went up and kind of cleaned them. Now after a rain I noticed a little drip in the shower. Well not exactly in the shower but the trim around the top of the shower where the skylight is. I guess when I was up there walking around I may have caused it. I can get some sealant and try to seal it up. One question I had was should I remove the sealant that is already there around the skylight or just apply anewgood coat over what’s there?
    Pete & Betty
    2012 F250 Super Duty 4x4 6.7 Diesel
    2015 Reflection 29RS
    Palm Harbor, FL

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever resealed any part of your roof ? If so you should remove all you can before resealing again. If not it should have been inspected and sealed on a regular basis.
    Check the sky light for cracks, the corners are common area where cracks start forming. Check over the entire roof carefully.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn’t there be caulk or something around the vents and skylights? The roof looks fine it’s just around those seams that seem to be leaking.
    Pete & Betty
    2015 Reflection 29RS
    Palm Harbor, FL

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leons_Bad_Side View Post
    Wouldn’t there be caulk or something around the vents and skylights? The roof looks fine it’s just around those seams that seem to be leaking.
    There is caulk....and it may look fine even if it isnt't. If it is dry and hard it is time to remove and replace it. Viable caulking is soft, pliable and does not look cracked and dryed out.

RV roof caulking on rubber roofs is usually, a product called Dicor self-leveling sealant. It needs to be replaced every couple years or so as it drys and develops fissures that will leak. If you have not recaulked a 2015 trailer, then you are way overdue and may have more issues than just this one leak. Use a wooden scraper or dulled metal putty knife to gently pry off the old sealant. It is a tedious job. Add new sealant after a good cleaning of the area. To avoid this tedious project, I use eternabond tape (alphabond if you have an alpha brand roof). It is pretty much a permanent solution to roof joints.

I would suggest checking for more leaks before they develop into bigger issues. Water intrusion will develop into rot very quickly.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I wasn’t aware this needed to be done.
    Pete & Betty
    2015 Reflection 29RS
    Palm Harbor, FL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way I can tell if I have an alpha brand roof?
    Pete & Betty
    2015 Reflection 29RS
    Palm Harbor, FL

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way is to read your trailer documentation. There should be a black zippered bag loaded with info on all the components in and on your 303. Many of the components need some sort of regular maintenance.
    This is where you will also find your owners manual with all the maintenance you should be doing to the structure.

I think your year they were still using edpm roof membrane , best to check the packet of papers or call GD service with your VIN ready . They'll be able to confirm it
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the questions. What should be used to clean the area after removing the old caulk?
    Pete & Betty
    2015 Reflection 29RS
    Palm Harbor, FL

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be sorry for asking, it's the best way to learn . Besides that is what the forum is for.

We use denatured alchohol to remove any remaining residue.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    There is caulk....and it may look fine even if it isnt't. If it is dry and hard it is time to remove and replace it. Viable caulking is soft, pliable and does not look cracked and dryed out.

RV roof caulking on rubber roofs is usually, a product called Dicor self-leveling sealant. It needs to be replaced every couple years or so as it drys and develops fissures that will leak. If you have not recaulked a 2015 trailer, then you are way overdue and may have more issues than just this one leak. Use a wooden scraper or dulled metal putty knife to gently pry off the old sealant. It is a tedious job. Add new sealant after a good cleaning of the area. To avoid this tedious project, I use eternabond tape (alphabond if you have an alpha brand roof). It is pretty much a permanent solution to roof joints.

I would suggest checking for more leaks before they develop into bigger issues. Water intrusion will develop into rot very quickly.

Good advice and I completely agree. But, with that said, on my previous 5th wheel, I would wash the roof a couple of times a year and inspect the caulking. I had the trailer for 11 years and it set out in the Texas sun, which hit the roof about 6 hours a day.

About every other year I would touch up needed places with Dicor self leveling.

I never removed any of the old caulking. It was hard but not brittle, and appeared to still be sealing good. NEVER had a leak! Now, if I started having a build up of caulk, I definitely would have removed.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast