User Tag List

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bearing Repack and Brake Inspection and Suspension

It's been a year February since I last repacked my bearings. Got after it this week and found a big issue with one of the brakes. We have 4300 miles on the rig and about 3500 on the last bearing repack.
    First I disassemble and repack the bearings by hand, inspecting everything along the way. Grease - here is what I use, the Valvoline and Red N' Tacky are compatible products with the same spec. When reassembling I readjust the brakes so that the drums just barely drag, then with the truck connected I spin the drums and get the wife to step on the brake pedal to see if that individual brake is working. Our rig has self adjusting brakes.

I lubed the suspension with the rig stabilizer jacks down on our RV site, this takes the pressure off the suspension and all fittings took grease. Inspected the springs and hangers, everything looks good there.
    Started with the right front, pulled the tire, inspected the tread, pulled the balancing plate off (centramatic wheel balancers) and inspected it, loosened the adjusting star, and pulled the brake drum. OMG the brake shoe is gone, the drum has deep grooves in it. The bearings look a little bit like they got a little hot but still had grease in them but differently time to be repacked. The spindle is fine.

First things first, need new brake drum, brake assembly, bearings and seal. I carry a new set of spare bearings and seals, got that covered. Hoped online to order a new drum and complete brake assy and get them on the way. Dexter 7000# axles 12x2 drum 8 lug, and brake assemblies 23-464= left assy or 465 = right. eTrailer has a kit both right and left brake assy and also has the drum, on order. Then got a notice from eTrailer the brake assy went back order, crap, jumped on Amazon same Dexter assy kit in stock ordered from them too, be here Tuesday. I don't know what I am going to run into with the other three wheels, we need to be out of here April 6, no time to waist, never a bad thing to have spares if not needed.

Reassembled the right front wheel, got it all back together just to free up my jacks so I can get after the right rear to see what I find there, so I can be prepared. Got the right rear apart and everything is ok, brakes in fine shape, bearings ok but will need to be replaced next year. Repack the bearings reassembled. I'll work on the left side the next day. Set back reassess what caused the right front brake disaster. Don't know at this point. Checked on my ordered parts delivery, still on track. The brake assembly is a complete assembly ready to bolt on. Remove 5 bolts and replace the whole assembly, resplice the brake wires and done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2555.jpg   IMG_2552.jpg   IMG_2560.jpg   IMG_2561.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-13-2021 at 11:40 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some part numbers for those interested.
    Brake assembly 23-464-00 left - 23-465-00 right
    Brake Drum 42866UC3EZ - EZ for EZ Lube, 12x2 inch drum 8 lug
    Bearings 14125A outer - 25580 inner
    Seal 01-036-00

I got 4 brake assemblies coming 2 right, 2 left. Have 4 bearing sets and seals. Amazon was a little cheaper on the brake set $246, eTrailer $291 both have free shipping.

The next day tore into the left side to see what I got. Left rear - everything A-OK, repacked bearings, readjust brakes, reassembled, checked tires, wife on truck brake pedal tire stops spinning - Done
    Left front - everything A-OK, repacked bearings, readjust brakes, reassembled, checked tires for cracks and punctures, wife on truck brake pedal tire stops spinning - Done

Well only the right front is the problem child. Don't know what caused the brakes to go bad. Really chewed up the brake shoes and drum. The spindle is ok. Well, I'll have 3 spare brake assemblies, that's ok never know when I might need them, who knows if they will be available on short notice when or if I need them with the way logistics and the supply chain mess that we have now.
    Have plenty of space to store them. Its only been a year @ 3500 miles, they were fine at the last bearing repack. I'll make time again next year to go through them again while keeping an eye on things through out this coming year.

Just thought I would share, Check Your Brakes and Bearings Regularly!!!!!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-13-2021 at 11:45 AM.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received two of my new Dexter brake assemblies this afternoon. Came with 5 new attaching bolts/nuts and plugs for the adjustment holes which were missing on all my original brake plates. Looks good, all I need now is the new brake drum to finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2562.jpg  

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Received two of my new Dexter brake assemblies this afternoon. Came with 5 new attaching bolts/nuts and plugs for the adjustment holes which were missing on all my original brake plates. Looks good, all I need now is the new brake drum to finish.
    Very nice Steve, hope you get it all worked out. I went through a similiar brake issue on mine a couple of weeks ago, posted about it in another thread. Good luck!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To finish off my thread,

I got the new brake assy bolted to the spindle. So much easier than rebuilding the brake shoes and messing around with the springs, 5 bolts and done. Throw the old assembly away. Yes its a little more expensive, $123 for the brake assembly, $246 for the pair, but soooooo much easier. Got the new brake drum, packed the new bearings/seals and installed, then set the brake shoe adjustment. The new drum came with 8 new lug nuts so I now have some spares.
    Splicing the new brake wires, someone said (one of my fellow Texicans) he had his brakes worked on and the installer didn't strip the very outer and inner insulation on the RV brake wires. You can see from the picture once you get in outer insulation striped off there is an inner red insulation. Got to get it stripped off also or the electric drum brakes will not work. I butt spliced the wires and covered the splice with self-sealing heat shrink tubing. I did not solder the wires as sometimes soldering can make the wires brittle and the wire can brake over time with vibration. The new brake plate assembly came with the proper wire strain relief plastic clip.

I had the wife in the truck and hooked to the RV, as I spun the drum she stepped on the brake pedal, all four stopped and work fine. This also tests all the wiring from the truck right to the individual electric brake assemblies.

As to why the right front brake did this, I can only guess at this point. I inspected the old brake assembly and did not see anything that could of caused it. The magnet and arm moved smoothly. I can only guess the magnet or arm must have stuck and engaged the brake shoes and they just wore away. I often check the brakes as we are traveling and never found that right front hotter than any other wheel. I'll keep an eye on it.

Done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2563.jpg   IMG_2565.jpg   IMG_2566.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-19-2021 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added and can spell worth a darn this morning

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job Steve, looks great. Yes that was me regarding the wire stripping, that red insulation can bite you lol.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Nice job Steve, looks great. Yes that was me regarding the wire stripping, that red insulation can bite you lol.
    Yup sure can, I saw it right away after I used my spring jawed wire strippers, then I remembered your post.
    You know the funny thing is as I was using the tailgate of our truck as a work bench, I had a couple people stop by to see what I was doing. One guy asked if he could watch me repack the bearings, as he had never had his bearings repacked, he said "so that's the way you do it". I said yup see the grease oozing out the top of the bearing all the way around, thats how you know when you get enough in it, then coat the race /cup, roll the outside of the bearing in grease and insert into the hub/drum. Install rear seal, lightly coat the inner seal rim, place and use a block of wood to set the seal into the drum. Pack and insert outer bearing, stick it on the spindle, tighten the nut as you turn the drum to just tight to set the preload, stop the drum hold in place, back off the nut, then finger tighten, then insert holding clip.

One guy said, thats easy, I've never had mine done.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very good description that anyone new to the job can use. That's also exactly how I've always done it and never had any issues with fried bearings. The only reason I let the dealer do it this time was because they were fixing another minor item on it and I'm trying to get it ready to tow to Disney in two weeks lol. Poor tech was very embarrassed about his wire stripping abilities lol.
    Jeff