User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from Michigan! Just purchased a GD Imagine 2500 RL today. On order!

Very excited. We've been researching for quite some time and we were impressed by the quality reviews for the Grand Design. Just curious if any of you have purchased sway bars for towing. Also, has anyone purchased a bike rack to mount on the camper - the front on the tongue/hitch area or back, either bumper or ladder mounted. Any recommendations?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations we also have a 2021 2500RL. We really like it and the openness and light
    Expect to wait 13-16 weeks. Ours was 14.

What are you towing with?

We bought the Blue Ox Sway Pro.1200 bar.it’s a weight distribution hitch. You don’t have to break it down to go in reverse like some hitches.

The bumpers are not really made for weight carrying. I would look into their strength. There is really not room between the tow vehicle and the trailer tongue to carry bikes.

Congrats again.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CindyBarjak View Post
    Very excited. We've been researching for quite some time and we were impressed by the quality reviews for the Grand Design. Just curious if any of you have purchased sway bars for towing. Also, has anyone purchased a bike rack to mount on the camper - the front on the tongue/hitch area or back, either bumper or ladder mounted. Any recommendations?
    Congrats on your purchase today!! We also just ordered one today!! However, we are still undecided if we want the 2500RL or the 2600RB. We are going back in a few days to view a 2600RB and make our decision. Either way we decide the order will go in next Wednesday. They're telling us that the order will take about 10-12 weeks and if that happens great, if not I'm okay to wait a couple weeks longer. We're not in a big hurry. They say things are starting to calm down a bit now and the fact that DG has stopped producing some of the less popular models the production times are getting better.

We were also considering a rear bike mount and I've heard several pros and cons about mounting to the rear bumper (mostly cons). We already have a Thule bike rack that is quite heavy so I don't think I would want to mount that to the rear bumper. I'm considering now just to put them in the bed of the truck or possibly installing a frame mounted accessory tow hitch to the rear of the RV that will support that weight safely.

As for a weight distribution hitches. They are a necessity and be sure to get one with sway control. I've been doing a lot of research on these as well and for a while there I was totally in favor of spending 3k on a ProPride P3. But then I questioned if I really wanted to add 195lbs to the tongue weight, so I started looking into them further. There are a few really good ones out there and you will get responses from several who really like the ones they use. I have decided to go with the Andersen WDH because they've gotten great reviews for controlling sway and they weigh 53lbs. and are super easy to hook up and unhook. If you do the same research I've been doing you will be able to make your own decisions. Be sure to look at some YouTube videos once you narrow down your choices.
    Last edited by CMeth54; 03-14-2021 at 12:57 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome both of you to the forum. The 2500 and 2600 are both very attractive floor plans. As for wdh, I would say they are necessary. There a few greatly reviewed models to choose from. The propride has really great reviews and cones highly recommended from the people who have them but they are extremely heavy (so whatch your payload) and extremely expensive. Then there's Husky Centerline, this is what my dealer sold me. Whats as advertised, no sway and great distribution and reasonably priced. However, its a little noisy in slow tight turns but you can back up within engaged. BlueOx is also great and no noise because it has chains. Anderson is really light and great. A new kid on the block thats getting great reviews is True Tow. You can easily adjust the weight distribution on the fly but adds another foot in length but you'll be able to open your tailgate while hooked up.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Congratulations we also have a 2021 2500RL. We really like it and the openness and light
    Expect to wait 13-16 weeks. Ours was 14.

What are you towing with?

We bought the Blue Ox Sway Pro.1200 bar.it’s a weight distribution hitch. You don’t have to break it down to go in reverse like some hitches.

The bumpers are not really made for weight carrying. I would look into their strength. There is really not room between the tow vehicle and the trailer tongue to carry bikes.

Congrats again.
    The Lippert jack-it will allow you to carry your bikes on the trailer tongue. I've even seen it used on teardrop trailers. That's what I use.

https://store.lci1.com/lets-go-aero

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will be towing with a 2021 Silverado 1500 LTZ with a 6.2/V8 engine

It will be equipped with a Max trailering package. I'm going to look at all the suggestions for sway/weight distribution control. We may just put the bikes in the bed of the truck too. It may be easier. Given how big the storage bay is in the trailer, we won't need to really put anything else on the truck bed.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CindyBarjak View Post
    Welcome! We’re also from Michigan and looking at sway bars too. Dealer is selling Equal-I-Zer weight distribution hitches. I’m tempted to get the Andersen WDH. Lots to like with that hitch. Blue Ox is also popular. We’ll probably go with the dealer option to keep things simple.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlovett View Post
    Welcome! We’re also from Michigan and looking at sway bars too. Dealer is selling Equal-I-Zer weight distribution hitches. I’m tempted to get the Andersen WDH. Lots to like with that hitch. Blue Ox is also popular. We’ll probably go with the dealer option to keep things simple.
    Instead of throwing in the hitch they have, our dealer gave us a $500 credit on our invoice and I'm buying the Andersen to bring with. I've watched a few videos on how to set up the hitch and it's very simple. I will be installing it myself when we pick up our TT. The Equal-I-Zer is supposed to be a very good hitch as well but I've heard they are somewhat noisy when turning since they are the friction type hitch.
    Last edited by CMeth54; 03-15-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all!