User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is the Magnum MS2812 a good Inverter / Charger?

I need an 3000W inverter (give or take) and I need a programmable charger ((80 to 150 amp) for my Crown CR-260 batteries. The Magnum2812 fits the needs perfectly and is simple to program from what I am reading

Is anyone using this model that can give me feedback. How is it working? Fan noise? etc

Thanks for any thoughts or comments
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I need an 3000W inverter (give or take) and I need a programmable charger ((80 to 150 amp) for my Crown CR-260 batteries. The Magnum2812 fits the needs perfectly and is simple to program from what I am reading

Is anyone using this model that can give me feedback. How is it working? Fan noise? etc

I don't have the Magnum inverter on my trailer but have had them on several boats. They served me well on the boats.
    I went with a Go Power IC-3000 on my 5th wheel. These two inverters are very similar, I chose the Go power for availability and the price was a bit lower but not a lot. Also, the Go Power came with the remote while with Magnum it was an extra.
    The only time the fan noise is noticeable is when charging at max amps. I start charging our 4 lithium batteries at 125A and I can hear the fan then. It is installed in the front compartment so it's not noticeable in the cabin.
    The Magnum will have the auto transfer switch built in and it will power all of your electrical circuits with a 30 or 50 amp supply, unlike some popular inverters out there which only power one leg.
    Programing is similar on both of these inverters and it's very easy with a remote panel (essential in my opinion).
    I think Magnum is a good choice. They are very popular in marine applications

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have this inverter/charger and are quite happy with it.
    There is some fan noise when it is under load but it isn't all that bad, especially if it is mounted in a passthrough or somewhere outside your main living space.
    Two things to be aware of. You will need a remote to access advanced programming features and the internal transfer switch is only rated to 30 Amps/phase. If you install it as split phase on a 50A RV, you will need to keep your individual line loads to under 30A.
    For this reason, we are looking to upgrade ours to the MSH3012RV which has a full 50A rated xfer switch.
    -Rob-
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Magnum 3000 hybrid. It has served us well for 1 1/2 years. Magnum is all our solar installer uses because he likes the durability. The victron has bluetooth capabilities though.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Technical question. Does the 120V pass through work if the inverter is turned off? I have a simple 30a service. I want to pull the shore power off the main breaker on my distribution panel, tie in a separate 30A breaker and run the shore power directly to the inverter and wire through the pass through connection and then back to the main 30A breaker on the distribution panel. I got a response back form Magnum that said no with inverter off no pass through power. However page 43 in the manual under testing says to turn inverter off, turn on shore power and see it the 120V ac is working downstream. I will have the remote and that manual seem to indicate the same that the inverter and converter/charger can be turned on and off independently. Also I want to confirm if all power is pulled (winter storage) will the custom setting be there when I com back in the spring. It appears it resets to default. I do know I might not be able to run the air conditioner, but it is a small unit and it would be nice to run just the fan to cool down a bit in the evening.

Thanks for any help.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. If you have shore power that's where the coaches power is coming from regardless if the inverter is on or off. We have the older set up with a sub panel (this is powered by the inverter) where no AC lines are connected so no AC power is supplied by the inverter.

Here's a thought...If you're trying to cool the RV in the evening with just the AC fans a better way to do that would be to use Maxx Air fans above the kitchen and bath to pull in the cooler night air.

Or just use an stand alone electric fan.

My two cents,

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Technical question. Does the 120V pass through work if the inverter is turned off? I have a simple 30a service. I want to pull the shore power off the main breaker on my distribution panel, tie in a separate 30A breaker and run the shore power directly to the inverter and wire through the pass through connection and then back to the main 30A breaker on the distribution panel. I got a response back form Magnum that said no with inverter off no pass through power. However page 43 in the manual under testing says to turn inverter off, turn on shore power and see it the 120V ac is working downstream. I will have the remote and that manual seem to indicate the same that the inverter and converter/charger can be turned on and off independently. Also I want to confirm if all power is pulled (winter storage) will the custom setting be there when I com back in the spring. It appears it resets to default. I do know I might not be able to run the air conditioner, but it is a small unit and it would be nice to run just the fan to cool down a bit in the evening.

Thanks for any help.
    I also have the Magnum 3000 hybrid. I believe it works the way you want it to with a couple of exceptions. It has an issue with lithium batteries that probably doesn’t impact you unless you switch (assuming the Crowns are LA). It is not capable of restarting a silent lithium battery if it shuts down for some reason (discharged too far, over voltage, etc.) It will not charge any battery that is below 9 volts I believe. Lithiums that shutdown show no voltage until they detect input current. I only bring this up because when the battery voltage drops out, the AC through the transfer switch is also shut off with the “dead battery fault”. So all power is dead until you bypass the inverter or revive the batteries. I have been told that the Victron inverter/chargers are able to revive the shutdown lithium batteries - something I didn’t know when I chise the Magnum. Probably irrelevant but fyi.
    2018 Reflection 303rls, MORryde IS
    2017 Ford F-350 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently purchased a 377MBS with a MSH3012M, and working through the manuals to understand it's operation. It does look like no AC to loads is available when the batteries are disconnected. I noted a paragraph where Magnum recommends a bypass switch installed for when the inverter or batteries are serviced, so the loads continue to be supported on shore/genny power.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inverter bypass switch manual.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	49230

Any of you install this bypass switch? How did you wire it? I don't see documentation in Magnum's manual or website applications section to better understand this.

It does look like my rig has some sort of bypass installed - see the light grey box on the side of the generator doghouse in this photo. I will trace the wires and report back if that's what this is.

Name:	inverter batteries.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	49229

As you can see, I need to spend some time cleaning up the wiring in this area.
    2001 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat 7.3, 33" Toyo AT2, Transgo, 6.0 trans cooler, exhaust brake, extended overload spring bumpstops, Bilstein 4600, Hydra/PHP, FORScan, billet 7/7 turbo wheel, Adrenaline HPOP, EBC yellow stuff brake pads
    2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWSTGDS View Post
    I recently purchased a 377MBS with a MSH3012M, and working through the manuals to understand it's operation. It does look like no AC to loads is available when the batteries are disconnected. I noted a paragraph where Magnum recommends a bypass switch installed for when the inverter or batteries are serviced, so the loads continue to be supported on shore/genny power.

Name:	inverter bypass switch manual.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	49230

Any of you install this bypass switch? How did you wire it? I don't see documentation in Magnum's manual or website applications section to better understand this.

It does look like my rig has some sort of bypass installed - see the light grey box on the side of the generator doghouse in this photo. I will trace the wires and report back if that's what this is.

Name:	inverter batteries.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	49229

As you can see, I need to spend some time cleaning up the wiring in this area.
    I can confirm that you need a bypass to access power when the inverter charger shuts down for any reason, not just for servicing. I have a manual bypass simply using 50 amp cord plugs. A bypass switch would be better, of course. I find that I need to use the bypass maybe once every 2-3 months of use when apparently an overvoltage transient shuts down my BB batteries. I use the bypass to restart them since the inverter charger can’t (described in above post).
    2018 Reflection 303rls, MORryde IS
    2017 Ford F-350 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch