User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about replacing the fuel tank with something like this?

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800115319

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    What about replacing the fuel tank with something like this?

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800115319
    They don't seem to make any for the gas trucks.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLWSCC View Post
    I only have a 25 gallon gas tank in my Silverado so I’m thinking about purchasing a 14 gallon jerry can for our travels. How do I safely fill the jerry can and safely top off my truck when on the road. I’m hauling a 5th wheel so if I need to get it on the ground, I cannot roll it out. I would need to lift it (115 lbs when full) over the side. Any recommendations would be helpful.
    @GLWSCC I have been in your circumstances. My F350 came with a 32 gallon tank. Towing my 5th wheel made for quite a few stops for fuel. My solution was to replaced the OEM fuel tank with a Titan 55 gallon tank that occupies the same location as the original tank. Transfer flow also makes one. Not satisfied I added a gravity fed 41 gallon tank to my truck bed. Total capacity is now 96 gallons which equates to 1,600 not towing and 1,000 miles towing. Unfortunately my bodily functions are not as long range as my truck so there are still stops but I can be more choosey with my diesel fill up. For safety sake please replace your OEM tank with a larger one and avoid the risky move of hauling 5 gallon gasoline containers.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    They don't seem to make any for the gas trucks.
    You need to call them for it.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Ram has a 32 gallon tank and I initially thought it was going to be a problem as we traveled. Turns out it hasn't been a problem at all, on most trips we have @ a 300 mile range but we are ready to stop a little before that anyway. We do carry a yellow 5 gal diesel can just in case.
    Lots of aux tank options using diesel, Using gas is more of a problem as not many aux fuel tanks are available aftermarket.

Yes we can't pick and choose long haul where we get fuel or at what price, but for now the price for diesel fuel in a 300 mile radius isn't that much different cost wise versus the cost for installing an aux tank. Maybe $10-15 difference in price for fill ups versus $1500 and up for an aux tank. We use RV Trip Wizard to plan our trips and fuel stops and love it. We aren't that much of penny pinchers, however I understand for some it makes a big difference as in traveling through California and other fuel costly states.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-16-2021 at 07:29 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    I agree. I feel similarly about my F250. It only has a 30 gallon tank, which is 6 gallons less than our last pickup (an F150). Towing my new camper home, I was getting 8 mpg (a bit of a headwind...) and what should have been an easy one-tank trip became a near thing, the truck was bitching about low fuel before we even got off the highway. If that turns out to be typical for this truck, then I'll be stopping every 200 miles for gas. Ouch.
    I hear that. Stopping for gas isn't bad, it's trying to find gas stations that I can get into with the trailer in tow.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be in the camp of massive fuel reserves, but to do so actually has more cons than pro. Now, largest possible factory tank, and fresh 5 gallon reserve can in the bed. Pretty much anywhere we'll drag a 5er, that's at least 50 miles of backup and that's enough to get to the next fuel stop, to cell service, or major highway. I use a Surecan sitting inside an open HDPE tote for added spill protection.

I did the math after owning a big in-bed auxiliary. The investment never paid off. It was diesel, and by the time you consider cost of the tank, the antifungal, the filters... The extra range didn't justify it for recreational towing (dragging my cars and campers).
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    I hear that. Stopping for gas isn't bad, it's trying to find gas stations that I can get into with the trailer in tow.
    Exactly. I plan out my trips and use satellite view and street view to find suitable stops if I can't make the whole trip on a single tank. PITA.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zinman View Post
    You need to call them for it.
    They will happily take down your name and record your interest. But they will also admit that it is not very likely, because gas tanks are much more difficult to get certified than diesel. So they rarely offer gas options, and they've had poor success with those. Some of that is just poor choices -- they offer a gas tank for the F150, which has a limited market niche for large fuel capacity. They should have spent that effort on a superduty tank. But OTOH, superduties are 75% diesel so that niche is not huge either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would talk with the larger fuel tank mfg’s, in some cases the gas and diesel versions use the exact same tank but they are only marketed for diesel.

The other option is something like this; https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800115195

Or this; http://www.rdsaluminum.com/auto-transfer.html
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast