Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumper weight capacity

We are looking for the bumper weight capacity for a 2021 Transcend. Needing to make sure it can handle the spare tire and bike rack with bikes.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our Imagine its 300lbs. Its not recommended to attach a bike rack. We do and we're fully aware of the risk of failure. We only put 2 light bike on Swagman RV rack, with these https://www.amazon.ca/MaxxHaul-50023...53947949&psc=1 this https://www.amazon.ca/Quick-Products...49256472&psc=1 and strap the bikes diagonally back to the RV frame. You really have to prevent those bikes from bouncing and twisting at all cost or else its a complete bumper failure. Even with all this you might experience a failure. Consider yourself warned if going that route. I keep an eye on the bikes via the camera.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are too many photo-documented instances of bumper mounted bike racks causing metal fatigue in the bumper and welds and tearing it off the frame members. There's a lot of bouncing around back there that causes G-gorces well beyond the weight of the bikes and rack. Have a good hitch receiver welded to the frame.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There are too many photo-documented instances of bumper mounted bike racks causing metal fatigue in the bumper and welds and tearing it off the frame members. There's a lot of bouncing around back there that causes G-gorces well beyond the weight of the bikes and rack. Have a good hitch receiver welded to the frame.

Rob
    Agree with Rob on this one. One friend lost his rack and bikes on the highway. There are now several good options for a bike rack that mounts over the propane tanks in the front. You may want to check out the Arvika which has models for 2-4 bikes or the Jack It that can hold 2 bikes. Our Arvika rack is still in good shape after ten years.
    2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
    2010 Ram 2500
    Blog About Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    Seeing those photos really spoke to me as a metallurgical engineer. A bouncing bike rack imposes huge deflections on a flexible bumper structure, making fatigue inevitable. This prompted my decision to carry bikes in the TV and put what would otherwise be TV cargo in the trailer. This is kind of nice in that I can use that dense TV cargo as ballast to fine tune tongue weight. I’ll have to readjust things after welding a receiver to the frame and hanging a rack and bikes off the back. That heavy cargo could then go into the pass through up front, offsetting the leverage of the rack and bikes. It’s nice to have loading options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there an option to have a hitch mounted to the frame under the bumper to use a bike rack?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMarrs View Post
    Is there an option to have a hitch mounted to the frame under the bumper to use a bike rack?
    Not from the factory if it doesn't already come that way, but any good fabricator or welding shop can either make one or weld a pre-fabricated one on for you. Lots of folks on the forum have had it done.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that any drilling through the frame or welding onto it will void the warranty. Just something to keep in mind.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Keep in mind that any drilling through the frame or welding onto it will void the warranty. Just something to keep in mind.

But only for a failure related to your welded modification, which is very unlikely in this case. If your A-frame cracked for example, it’s obviously not related to the receiver you welded on the back to carry your bike rack. I plan to add a weld-on receiver for my bike rack. I see no risk from an engineering perspective.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkayak View Post
    But only for a failure related to your welded modification, which is very unlikely in this case. If your A-frame cracked for example, it’s obviously not related to the receiver you welded on the back to carry your bike rack. I plan to add a weld-on receiver for my bike rack. I see no risk from an engineering perspective.
    I just don't want to give them an opportunity to bail out should something happen even thought the likelihood of requiring warranty work related to the frame is real low, them taking the opportunity to bail because I altered something if very likely. Once my warranty expires then a welded one goes on. Until then I'll risk manage the way we have.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast