User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attempted Break in

Ok, full disclosure, I don't own a GD - YET. But, I like this forum and what happen to me could happen to anyone. This will be the last year with the TT before we buy our Momentum 376THS (if any are available by then). We are doing a 4 day campout at my favorite fishing hole this next weekend. Wife saw on Book Face that someone had their camper stolen, so we decided to drive to the storage facility and check ours (different facility than the one with the stolen camper) and do a quick inventory before we bring it home to load up next week. The storage area is fenced, code entry, well lit, and has camera surveillance. What could go wrong? Well, wouldn't you know.... Someone tried breaking in to our camper too! All the outside accesses were pried open and they tried to pry the front door open as well. Luckily, nothing was stolen from the pass through and I don't think they got inside because the TV was still there. Not sure what they were looking for? Several other units near ours were damaged with a pry bar as well. Overall, I think we got off lucky. Two lessons from this. 1. I need a hitch lock just in case. 2. I need to check on the camper more often. It's been at least a month since I checked on it.
    Anyway, thought I'd share.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear
    We are fortunate to be able to store ours on our property
    But I think if I had to I would empty my pass through and leave the trailer unlocked
    All of the stuff is in bins so it would only be a 10 minute job

Busted panels and locks are a bigger pain than something taken imo

During our harvest when we leave our tractors in the fields at the end of the night we always leave them unlocked. A busted window on a JD isn’t cheap

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that. When I lived in SC, I had to keep my TT at a storage facility. It was 5 miles away, fenced, gated with code, etc. Someone cut through the fence and broke all the main door windows on all the campers, easily unlocked the door and took a bunch of stuff. It seemed like they were outfitting their own camper from what they took. Insurance covered it all, but its frustrating. I'm happy to keep my camper at my home now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauced Hog View Post
    Ok, full disclosure, I don't own a GD - YET. But, I like this forum and what happen to me could happen to anyone. This will be the last year with the TT before we buy our Momentum 376THS (if any are available by then). We are doing a 4 day campout at my favorite fishing hole this next weekend. Wife saw on Book Face that someone had their camper stolen, so we decided to drive to the storage facility and check ours (different facility than the one with the stolen camper) and do a quick inventory before we bring it home to load up next week. The storage area is fenced, code entry, well lit, and has camera surveillance. What could go wrong? Well, wouldn't you know.... Someone tried breaking in to our camper too! All the outside accesses were pried open and they tried to pry the front door open as well. Luckily, nothing was stolen from the pass through and I don't think they got inside because the TV was still there. Not sure what they were looking for? Several other units near ours were damaged with a pry bar as well. Overall, I think we got off lucky. Two lessons from this. 1. I need a hitch lock just in case. 2. I need to check on the camper more often. It's been at least a month since I checked on it.
    Wow, that really sucks. We used to keep our 5th wheel at home but felt more comfortable storing it locally where all the boats and RV's are stored inside with electronic exterior door locks. The owners are on premises with cameras at each building along with guard dog. Costs a bit but I feel more comfortable with it there than it being home.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to here about the damage. Hopefully you can get it completely repaired quickly.

Last year our trailer was “tagged” with spray paint at our expensive, well lit, fully fenced, code entry, camera surveillance storage facility. We were paying over $300/month for storage and felt it was safe. Not so. They did catch the HS kids that did the damage to our and 22 other RVs. They had excellent HD security video.

We got lucky and my wife I were able to get rid of the paint with only damaging one decal. It took us all day slowly using graffiti remover and lots of elbow grease.

Here’s a picture of the well lit “secure” storage area.

And here’s a picture of some of the areas they spray painted.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Sorry to here about the damage. Hopefully you can get it completely repaired quickly.

Last year our trailer was “tagged” with spray paint at our expensive, well lit, fully fenced, code entry, camera surveillance storage facility. We were paying over $300/month for storage and felt it was safe. Not so. They did catch the HS kids that did the damage to our and 22 other RVs. They had excellent HD security video.

We got lucky and my wife I were able to get rid of the paint with only damaging one decal. It took us all day slowly using graffiti remover and lots of elbow grease.

Here’s a picture of the well lit “secure” storage area.

And here’s a picture of some of the areas they spray painted.

WOW! So sorry you had to "endure" this kind of BS. My wife talked about taking our rig someplace else, but honestly, there isn't anyplace better. Our facility is well lit with cameras, a decent fence, on a busy highway. If people want to steal or do damage, they will. I added a hitch lock and resolved to check on it every week. Luckily, I was able to repair the latches until new ones arrive and we were able to spend a nice weekend away relaxing by the river.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our friends kept their trailer in a storage facility and when they left for camping everything looked fine. Once at the campground and hooked up water, they noticed their cabin was flooding. Someone broke in their camper, removed the cover panel and stole the water pump. The thieves even installed the cover panel back on so everything looked normal in the camper.

Patti and Mike (and Bella and Ari too)
    2020 Solitude 310gk
    2017 Ford F-250 Supercrew 6.7 diesel 2x2
    Anderson Hitch gooseneck set up