Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New EQ4 hitch install

Quote Originally Posted by BobnColo View Post
    Kind of a mute point don't ya think? Not going to pull it without it.
    No it doesn’t matter. It all looks good. Just always interesting to see what the exact TW is as a trailer sits.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I get your point, but not worth the effort to find out. I always wondered about the bathroom scale method only because how do you know how far down to crank it? I would guess the CAT scale weight would be pretty damn close though after weighing the truck without the trailer than with it on except for the wdh but again what's the point of that other than just have another figure to blow up from the weight police lol.
    2019 F150 4x4 screw sb with max towing
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    2 many former rigs to list.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I get your point, but not worth the effort to find out. I always wondered about the bathroom scale method only because how do you know how far down to crank it? I would guess the CAT scale weight would be pretty damn close though after weighing the truck without the trailer than with it on except for the wdh but again what's the point of that other than just have another figure to blow up from the weight police lol.
    Keeping a good TW,returning steers to unloaded and under gcwr You are good on all that

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without actual tongue weight, one doesn’t know the tow vehicles cargo weight or whether the tow vehicle is exceeding its GVWR. Your probably within a few hundred pounds of actual tongue weight. If you have 200 - 300 lbs to spare, you’re golden.

Your calculated tongue weight is somewhere around 10% of the trailers weight.

2020 2600RB,
    2017 Silverado Crew Cab 1500, 6.2L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did they ever loosen up a bit ? Mine were so tight , 2 people on the end of the bar were needed to move them. No way that's part of the system as they say to lubricate them. I called Progress Mfg. ( the mfg. of Equil- i -izer ) and they sent me another head and it was even worse !!!! If you look at the Curt system with WD using trunnion bars, you'll see they actually have zerk fittings on the rear hookup of the bars to keep them lubricated and moving correctly. The sockets on the EQ are just mfg. too tight. The sockets are hardened steel so you can't even file a bit off. I had to drive the sockets out of the head with a 10 # dead blow. Cleaned everything to bare steel and greased them all up and couldn't get them back in without driving them into position and still it took every bit of strength I had on the end of the bar to get them to move 30 degrees. That's just bad quality control, plain and simple ! Had my son take the sockets to his machine shop and take a 64th off both of the sockets to get them to work properly. Next time I'll go with the Curt system. I had used a E2 system for 10 years before and if you know that system, you actually grease up the socket head area and the bars swing freely so there is no way they have to be that ridiculously tight on the the E4 !
    2022 2600 RB , Road Armor + wet bolt and heavy shackle kit
    2021 Ram 1500 Premier, 5.7 E Torque , 3.91 rear end, trailering kit

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjake392 View Post
    Did they ever loosen up a bit ? Mine were so tight , 2 people on the end of the bar were needed to move them. No way that's part of the system as they say to lubricate them. I called Progress Mfg. ( the mfg. of Equil- i -izer ) and they sent me another head and it was even worse !!!! If you look at the Curt system with WD using trunnion bars, you'll see they actually have zerk fittings on the rear hookup of the bars to keep them lubricated and moving correctly. The sockets on the EQ are just mfg. too tight. The sockets are hardened steel so you can't even file a bit off. I had to drive the sockets out of the head with a 10 # dead blow. Cleaned everything to bare steel and greased them all up and couldn't get them back in without driving them into position and still it took every bit of strength I had on the end of the bar to get them to move 30 degrees. That's just bad quality control, plain and simple ! Had my son take the sockets to his machine shop and take a 64th off both of the sockets to get them to work properly. Next time I'll go with the Curt system. I had used a E2 system for 10 years before and if you know that system, you actually grease up the socket head area and the bars swing freely so there is no way they have to be that ridiculously tight on the the E4 !
    Bigjake, I completely understand, my first Equalizer was that way. What I discovered was they paint these things after assembly. That paint gave me quite a struggle to to the same as you. Once I broke the paint free from the arm joints I had no more problems.

Short answer to your question, yes the do loosen over time, but not by much.

I’ve went to a larger hitch (same brand) and didn’t have that problem. If you went with Curt, they make an excellent hitch.

Thanks,
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjake392 View Post
    After about 8k miles pulling from Colorado to Arkansas and back and then out to California and back to Arkansas< Colorado and now in Arizona for the winter, yes they did loosen up some. I use a Lucas Oil 5th wheel lube on the trunion pivot points and that helps and stops the sqeeking and screeching. Works fine and I am happy with the way it works.
    2019 F150 4x4 screw sb with max towing
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    2 many former rigs to list.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123