User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I had the Jaboni solar ordered with my momentum. If you do not already have it, do not buy it.
    It is high priced and the controller does not perform to spec. I recommend Victron controllers, and battery monitors. Lots of options on panels. Two basic choices: Large residential types (3-400)or smaller. The larger ones generally are cheaper per watt. the smaller ones are eaiser to lay out around roof obstructions. The 100 watters have a lot of options and seem to be the most popular. If I was staring from scratch that what I would use. Search my posts for my Jaboni experiences... My first ones were positive, later turning negative as I learned more.
    I’m glad you shared your advice. I have been thinking seriously of installing solar & as I read the forum I noticed a lot of negative comments about Jaboni. I’m going to start a new subject asking for everyone’s opinion as to which company to use. I think you will be one of the first of many to give me direction to stay away from Jaboni. Is it difficult to use Victron equipment with the Grand Design factory prep?
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    I’m glad you shared your advice. I have been thinking seriously of installing solar & as I read the forum I noticed a lot of negative comments about Jaboni. I’m going to start a new subject asking for everyone’s opinion as to which company to use. I think you will be one of the first of many to give me direction to stay away from Jaboni. Is it difficult to use Victron equipment with the Grand Design factory prep?
    The factory prep is what I would call the industry stadard for solar. There is nothing different about the Jaboni stuff that makes it a better match for your trailer than any other brand.

I really like the Victron stuff, the bluetooth works way faster and better than the one control that GD uses.
    Victron is consdered by many to be the best. IDK about that, as I was so disappointed in Jaboni, that I just went straight for it without trying anything else.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The factory prep is what I would call the industry stadard for solar. There is nothing different about the Jaboni stuff that makes it a better match for your trailer than any other brand.

I really like the Victron stuff, the bluetooth works way faster and better than the one control that GD uses.
    Victron is consdered by many to be the best. IDK about that, as I was so disappointed in Jaboni, that I just went straight for it without trying anything else.
    Thanks for your great advice. When I install the solar charger/controller can the converter on the trailer charge the batteries at the same time as the solar panels or do I need some type of transfer switch?
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One word of caution on the Solar prep. It comes with the industry standard MC4 connectos on the roof, to connect the panels to.
    Mine were installed wrong, and then forced together, making an intermintent connection that drove me crazy for a couple of days.
    The MC4 conectors consist on a female and male exterior housing that clicks together for a weatherproof seal. The confusing part is that the metal ends that are crimped onto the wire also consist af a male and female end, and they will fit in either exterior housing. The standard is that the female metal part is to go inside the male outer housing, and the male metal part is to go inside the female outer housing.
    On my trailer they assembled female metal insides into both outer housings.

BTW, I recommend buying the tool and connectors to make your own custom cables. It id far cheaper and better than buying them

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One word of caution on the Solar prep. It comes with the industry standard MC4 connectos on the roof, to connect the panels to.
    Mine were installed wrong, and then forced together, making an intermintent connection that drove me crazy for a couple of days.
    The MC4 conectors consist on a female and male exterior housing that clicks together for a weatherproof seal. The confusing part is that the metal ends that are crimped onto the wire also consist af a male and female end, and they will fit in either exterior housing. The standard is that the female metal part is to go inside the male outer housing, and the male metal part is to go inside the female outer housing.
    On my trailer they assembled female metal insides into both outer housings.

BTW, I recommend buying the tool and connectors to make your own custom cables. It id far cheaper and better than buying them
    Thanks. Do you mean custom cables from the roof to the basement instead of the ones already installed or do you mean just custom connectors?
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. During the time you had no power did you use anything else like lights?
    Only briefly when necessary. The only other things being operated were the parasitic drains like the detectors, AC controls, one control, etc...
    2014 Ford F350 Supercab DRW
    2021 Solitude 378 MBS-R FBP, Dual pane windows

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Do you mean custom cables from the roof to the basement instead of the ones already installed or do you mean just custom connectors?
    Neither. I believe the prep consists of 10 ga. wire run from your roof to the generator compartment, with MC4 connectors attached to it on the roof end. YThey will probably be housed in waht is known as a gland. (this is where my problem was with the install, so check them)The cables you will need attach to those MC4 connectors and the other end to your panels

Last edited by huntindog; 08-14-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Neither. I believe the prep consists of 10 ga. wire run from your roof to the generator compartment, with MC4 connectors attached to it on the roof end. YThey will probably be housed in waht is known as a gland. (this is where my problem was with the install, so check them)The cables you will need attach to those MC4 connectors and the other end to your panels

Thanks. Now I understand.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567