User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Site Sponsor CMeth54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    North Oregon Coast
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ford F-150 on board generator

    Just curious if anyone on the forum has used their Ford on board generator to power their TT and if so how that works out for you. My 2021 has a 2kw generator and I was thinking I might be able to utilize it once is a while.
    Cheers!
    Chuck

    2021 Ford F-150 XL FX4 SCrew 3.5L Twin Turbo Eco Boost
    Tow pkg. (53A)/ 1772 Payload/ Carbonized Grey
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL


  2. #2
    Seasoned Camper Extreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Riverside, California
    Posts
    152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the exact same spot as you. My F150 comes with 2.5Kw and I was told ad the dealership you can plug it directly into your rig for power.
    I plan to test that out in April. Good luck!

  3. #3
    Site Sponsor CMeth54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    North Oregon Coast
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    I'm in the exact same spot as you. My F150 comes with 2.5Kw and I was told ad the dealership you can plug it directly into your rig for power.
    I plan to test that out in April. Good luck!
    I would think it would work okay because it's the same as a Honda generator/converter. Hopefully someone that's used it will chime in and let us know how well it works. It looks like we would just need to use the 110 to 30 amp adaptor the same if it was plugging into house power. The only thing I'm concerned with is having to leave the truck engine running for long periods of time.
    Cheers!
    Chuck

    2021 Ford F-150 XL FX4 SCrew 3.5L Twin Turbo Eco Boost
    Tow pkg. (53A)/ 1772 Payload/ Carbonized Grey
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL


  4. #4
    Seasoned Camper goodoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Way South of Mason Dixon -- USA
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMeth54 View Post
    I would think it would work okay because it's the same as a Honda generator/converter. Hopefully someone that's used it will chime in and let us know how well it works. It looks like we would just need to use the 110 to 30 amp adaptor the same if it was plugging into house power. The only thing I'm concerned with is having to leave the truck engine running for long periods of time.
    Yah...seems like it would be just like plugging in a 2Kw inverter/generator. My question would be, "is running the engine of your truck more efficient than running a 100(+??) cc small engine?..." to perform the same trick. Temporary power loss in a campground? Great to have! The F150 power setup would be awesome on a farm...or in the woods where you need to do some work, no doubt! (Superduty owner)
    GoodOz

    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

  5. #5
    Site Sponsor CMeth54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    North Oregon Coast
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoz View Post
    Yah...seems like it would be just like plugging in a 2Kw inverter/generator. My question would be, "is running the engine of your truck more efficient than running a 100(+??) cc small engine?..." to perform the same trick. Temporary power loss in a campground? Great to have! The F150 power setup would be awesome on a farm...or in the woods where you need to do some work, no doubt! (Superduty owner)
    I'm thinking just as a temporary power source. Since I already have the onboard system why spend the money on a generator and have to carry around another 50-60 pounds?
    Cheers!
    Chuck

    2021 Ford F-150 XL FX4 SCrew 3.5L Twin Turbo Eco Boost
    Tow pkg. (53A)/ 1772 Payload/ Carbonized Grey
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL


  6. #6
    Seasoned Camper goodoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Way South of Mason Dixon -- USA
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMeth54 View Post
    I'm thinking just as a temporary power source. Since I already have the onboard system why spend the money on a generator and have to carry around another 50-60 pounds?
    It's a cool gadget...to be sure. I'd love to have it sitting next to my tailgate!! Game changer. I'm part of a hunting crew that maintains properties throughout the year (outside of hunting season)...cultivating, planting, clearing, etc throughout the year...Electricity in the woods w/o generator would be nice!
    GoodOz

    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMeth54 View Post
    Just curious if anyone on the forum has used their Ford on board generator to power their TT and if so how that works out for you. My 2021 has a 2kw generator and I was thinking I might be able to utilize it once is a while.
    Hi CMeth54,

    I am about to place my order for my F150 XLT 2.7L and have selected the 2.0KW pro power generator option. I have been hearing a lot that this has a loud fan noise coming from under the back seat due to this. I would greatly appreciate if you could please let me know if this is true since you already have this. Also is there room to add underneath seat storage or is it completely taken my the battery?

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Site Sponsor CMeth54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    North Oregon Coast
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by layercake17 View Post
    Hi CMeth54,

    I am about to place my order for my F150 XLT 2.7L and have selected the 2.0KW pro power generator option. I have been hearing a lot that this has a loud fan noise coming from under the back seat due to this. I would greatly appreciate if you could please let me know if this is true since you already have this. Also is there room to add underneath seat storage or is it completely taken my the battery?

    Thanks
    Sorry but I never had the opportunity to use the generator/ inverter and I sold the truck back to the dealer two weeks ago and placed my order for an F350. There is storage space under the back seat.
    Cheers!
    Chuck

    2021 Ford F-150 XL FX4 SCrew 3.5L Twin Turbo Eco Boost
    Tow pkg. (53A)/ 1772 Payload/ Carbonized Grey
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL


  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMeth54 View Post
    Sorry but I never had the opportunity to use the generator/ inverter and I sold the truck back to the dealer two weeks ago and placed my order for an F350. There is storage space under the back seat.
    Thanks, really appreciate your quick response. So when ever you were driving the truck was there a fan noise coming from the back seat even if you were not using the generator?

  10. #10
    Site Sponsor CMeth54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    North Oregon Coast
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No fan noise.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.