User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't started our "full timing" RVing yet, but, what we have been seeing more than anything is the increased number of year round reserved sites at campgrounds for those looking for more permenant storage/parking. This along with the COVID RVers is starting to really limit the available campsites without making future reservations. We've always tried to plan ahead, but still being on the part-time side of RVing, do our reservations atleast 2 to 4+ months ahead and still run into limitations on extended stay (week or longer) reservations.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're not fulltiming and are only out for a couple months, but we've had no issues finding sites with our first choice of RV parks/campgrounds. We thought it would be a real hassle, but so far, so good.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best policy is to boondock if you don’t want to pre plan. We plan our stays months in advance and even then we occasionally can’t stay where we want. Now with that said we have to be very selective at 70+ Feet long so take that for what it’s worth.
    2004 Volvo VNL 15L Cummins 600hp/2250tq 12spd Automatic
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R Full Paint mounted on 52ft PJ Low deck
    2020 Ford Raptor or RockCrawler mounted on the deck ;-)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsinbad View Post
    I have heard of people reserving a year or more in advance. This is not something I want to do. I don't want to be on a schedule to be at a certain place on a certain date. That does not sound like fun to me.

I am sure some will recommend boondocking, which I might do a little here and there, but I would prefer to have full hookups or at least electric.

Like to hear from those fulltiming now.

Thanks
    Here is my advice. You do you. Figure out how you want to full time and do that.... there is no right or wrong way.

I still work full time and need a great cell signal to do my job. I try to visit places before I book them. Especially if I plan on spending several months there. In addition, we do not hop around that much. We try to stay in each location for at least a month. This year, we spent 4 months in The Dalles, OR, one month in Ogden, UT, and 6 weeks in Pigeon Forge, TN (we just finished week one). We own an RV lot in FL and will spend the cold months there.

We already know where we will be during the hot months of 2022 and we have booked our main location for the summer of 2023. We overnighted in both locations so I know I'll be able to work. Once I retire, I plan on bouncing around a bit more. Hopefully, by then, the RVing fad will be over and there will be plenty of spaces available.

BTW: Your rig will also dictate how far out you need to book. We are currently in a 45' motorhome. There are a lot fewer spaces for us than there are for a 30' trailer. By the time we leave FL in April, we hope to be traveling in a Grand Design Solitude 280 RK-R.

I hope this helps.

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsinbad View Post
    Thinking about going fulltime, but wonder if this is the right time because of all of the Newbies now. How much harder and/or stressful is it finding campsites now?

I have heard of people reserving a year or more in advance. This is not something I want to do. I don't want to be on a schedule to be at a certain place on a certain date. That does not sound like fun to me.

I am sure some will recommend boondocking, which I might do a little here and there, but I would prefer to have full hookups or at least electric.

Like to hear from those fulltiming now.

Thanks
    You have received a lot of different views. No right way or wrong way. Full timing will be different for a lot of people.
    For us, fully retired, have been full timing for 1 year 3 months, it has been some of the best times of our 43 years together. We have had no major problems with our rig. When we started out on this full timing journey we committed ourselves to flexibility, patience and planning. We believe that is our secret to success and happiness with the lifestyle.

So far only once did we have to plan a trip almost a year in advance, that was meeting up with the kids/grandkids at Disney in June, prime season. They had to plan around the grandkids school breaks, activities and their vacations.
    Each year we plan to be back in South Central Texas in the February/March time frame. This is for our annual physicals, doctor appt, medical updates and also at the same time we can renew our rig license plates. Other than these times we are free to roam where we want, when we want. As a rule we plan not to visit major attractions at peak seasons. If we have to, then we plan to stay outside the attraction zone, makes it much easier.

We are currently visiting the Smokey Mountains, beginning of the off season. Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are still busy even now so getting reservations in these locations would still be crowded, so we planned to stay just north of Knoxville (outside the attraction zone) and had no big problems getting camping sites. Easy day trips into the National Park.

Some planning yes, but we have never had to spend hours or days planning and searching for reservations, it's just never been a problem.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    committed ourselves to flexibility, patience

We are currently visiting the Smokey Mountains, beginning of the off season. Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are still busy even now
    Flexibility and patience are the keys to success. If you are the type that will fly off the handle when things do go the way you wanted them to.... fulltiming may not be for you.

We are in Wears Valley (a few miles outside of Pigeon Forge.) I always thought this was the beginning of the off-season too. As it turns out, 10-1 to the end of the year is the prime season (at least according to the price sheet I am looking at). Everything is packed and there are no show discounts.
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    Flexibility and patience are the keys to success. If you are the type that will fly off the handle when things do go the way you wanted them to.... fulltiming may not be for you.

We are in Wears Valley (a few miles outside of Pigeon Forge.) I always thought this was the beginning of the off-season too. As it turns out, 10-1 to the end of the year is the prime season (at least according to the price sheet I am looking at). Everything is packed and there are no show discounts.
    I was just thinking about kids being back in school and summer vacation time being over, but leaf peeping is in prime time Oct, then the Holiday period. when we drove through PF (lots of traffic) it looked like they were already putting out holiday lights. I'll bet xmas time is really great with the holiday lights.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a solitude brand new in 2017 and have been been full-timing since. In my experience, it’s been ridiculously hard to secure spots long term for big rigs since the day I got mine. I was in Dallas Fort Worth area when I first started out. I am in Austin area now, (only because I have to be for my job - so don’t hold it against me. Lol).
    I am currently in an absolutely dreadful park in Austin, but cannot move because all the other parks around seem to have at least a 2 year waiting list. So I’m stuck in hell I guess you could say.

Now granted, my situation is a bit different. I am a single girl on my own and I do not own a tow vehicle. I “contract” my rig moved whenever I need it moved - which hasn’t been terribly often since I am full timing and trying to stay relatively in the same area. I know it sounds like a crazy arrangement. Lol.
    I am a flight attendant and originally bought this rig to serve a little “crash pad” when I’m not flying. Then Covid happened, and I was off on furlough for 14 months. (During that time I had my rig on the river in New Braunfels, Tx and - oh my gosh that was wonderful!! Did work-camping jobs during that time).

Anyway, sorry to ramble but wanted to give a little background info since my situation is extremely different from most people’s situation on this forum….

I’m actually thinking of selling and getting out of the whole RV thing pretty soon because of how difficult it is to secure spots for long-term. That, coupled with the fact that it’s damn near impossible to get Mobile Techs when I have issues ~ which is extremely often in this Grand Design SOB. ☹️
    Lol

By the way my rig is in pristine condition. I have babied it to death. And it’s just been me in it. No pets or crazy boyfriends, etc so it still looks brand new. Anyone have any advice on best way to unload these things short of consigning?
    2017 Solitude 377 MBS-R
    Full timer since 2017
    Austin, TX

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post

By the way my rig is in pristine condition. I have babied it to death. And it’s just been me in it. No pets or crazy boyfriends, etc so it still looks brand new. Anyone have any advice on best way to unload these things short of consigning?
    We've sold 2 RVs fairly easy using Facebook market place. My wife does the Facebook thing, not me, but I know that's how we did it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much!
    2017 Solitude 377 MBS-R