User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few things I learned about my Happijac

I'm planning on mostly using the top bed of my Happijac for storage, so I wanted to have the bed stop at a height that is much higher than it currently stops at.

I started removing the stops that are located in the rails to could move them up. The last screw I removed fell down in the track. The sofa was in the lowest position and I didn't want to try to raise them and risk getting the missing screw stuck between the chain and a gear. I was finally able to get the screw out with a magnetic pickup tool and some shaking of the sofa section.

Now that I had recovered all the screws, I positioned the metal stop block at the highest setting and started to screw them in. They would not thread into the rails. On closer inspection, I realized that only about 6 of the holes in the rail have threads, so the maximum adjustment I can make to the be height is about 12 inches. All the other holes are simply holes.

Here is what I learned.
    1. Put a towel in the rails before removing a screw so they will not fall into the track.
    2. Don't remove the screws in the first place because the bed is basically not adjustable.

Does anyone know of a way I can get the bed to stop about 2 feet from the ceiling?
    Last edited by GRIFFIN1; 03-15-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRIFFIN1 View Post
    I'm planning on mostly using the top bed of my Happijac for storage, so I wanted to have the bed stop at a height that is much higher than it currently stops at.

I started removing the stops that are located in the rails to could move them up. The last screw I removed fell down in the track. The sofa was in the lowest position and I didn't want to try to raise them and risk getting the missing screw stuck between the chain and a gear. I was finally able to get the screw out with a magnetic pickup tool and some shaking of the sofa section.

Now that I had recovered all the screws, I positioned the metal stop block at the highest setting and started to screw them in. They would not thread into the rails. On closer inspection, I realized that only about 6 of the holes in the rail have threads, so the maximum adjustment I can make to the be height is about 12 inches. All the other holes are simply holes.

Here is what I learned.
    1. Put a towel in the rails before removing a screw so they will not fall into the track.
    2. Don't remove the screws in the first place because the bed is basically not adjustable.

Does anyone know of a way I can get the bed to stop about 2 feet from the ceiling?
    I'm confused with your post. You say you want the bed to stop at a height higher than it currently stops......then you ask about having it stop about 2 feet from the ceiling, which would be lower than what it should stop at the top of it's lift. Would you mind maybe restating it...I'm lost on your post.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe he wants it to stop "higher" from the floor, but "lower" from the ceiling...

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I'm confused with your post. You say you want the bed to stop at a height higher than it currently stops......then you ask about having it stop about 2 feet from the ceiling, which would be lower than what it should stop at the top of it's lift. Would you mind maybe restating it...I'm lost on your post.
    When the bed is in the lowered position, it's about 4 feet from the ceiling. I want the bed to stop lowering when it's about 2 feet from the ceiling. This would allow me to store thing on the bed and still be able to walk around under the bed without having to bend over so much.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want the bed to stop lowering when it's about 2 feet from the ceiling.
    Following this .. I'm interested, too!
    signature

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "easiest" it seems would be to thread the holes. Tap and die set to cut threads or run a self-tapper in there.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the bed is in the lowered position, it's about 4 feet from the ceiling. I want the bed to stop lowering when it's about 2 feet from the ceiling. This would allow me to store thing on the bed and still be able to walk around under the bed without having to bend over so much.
    Thank you, now I understand exactly what you would like to accomplish. My suggestion would be to lower the bed to exactly where you would like it to be, then mark that spot on one of the rails that the bed runs up and down on. Make the mark so that you can see it clearly while operating the bed. Then, drill new holes in all four of the rails (both sides of the rails and all four of them). You would have to make sure that the holes are pretty much the same on all four rails as far as alignment...height, and then use the existing four pins that come with the trailer to pin the bed in the upper position, and insert them into the new holes you just drilled. Doing it that way would still give you the option of pinning the bed all the way up (where it was originally) or pinning it at the height that you selected.

I didn't feel comfortable with the lower section (the fold up couches) not being pinned, so I did exactly what I just described above and when mine is all the way up, I now have pins in the rails for the couches also. I haul a Can AM Spyder in mine and it would just be catastrophic for that sofa to fall during transit....on top of my motorcycle....thus the extra protection of having the couches pinned.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drill holes through the rails and put pins in wherever you want it to stop. It's floating.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS