Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wind conditions along I 80 in summer

Traveling from California to Wisconsin in July for Air Venture. Wondering if there may be any high wind areas that we will need to be aware of. We would love to hear from anyone that has had experience traveling along any portion of this route in the summer

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have traveled I80 a number of times and wind can be strong but, most times it has not been an issue, although 2 years ago we did get stuck in a wicked hailstorm that totaled a relatively new 23 ft Airstream in the space of 5 minutes. That was in August

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We traveled I-80 in August through Wyoming. It was windy, but not terrible. Winter time is much worse and they frequently close parts of it. If you download Wyoming 511 app, it will show you what parts are closed. It usually doesnt close before Chyenne, WY and you could always take I-25 through CO if I-80 is closed all the way through.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go to http://windy.com, it has all of the wind conditions for the US.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2018 RAM Laramie 3500 DRW
    Retired Navy

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deniserlamar View Post
    Traveling from California to Wisconsin in July for Air Venture. Wondering if there may be any high wind areas that we will need to be aware of. We would love to hear from anyone that has had experience traveling along any portion of this route in the summer
    The central plains are known for a small % of days during the summer with higher winds.....those exceeding 40ish MPH. Days with 30ish MPH winds are more common but not problematic. Thunderstorms can be severe with the aforementioned hail, heavy rain, and strong winds at times exceeding 60 mph. One needs to pay attention to the weather forecasts and plan your travel (or not) accordingly.

We have traveled I80 through NE and to Cheyenne, WY several times over the decades with most often good summer months weather. We have also traveled I80 in eastern Iowa to Des Moines several times over the last 10 or so years and east from Des Moines to the Chicago area a few times. The same weather feedback applies here too.

I80 through NE and Iowa is an extremely busy section of the interstate system.......at one time the most traveled for semi trucks (and may still be true.) Many RVs and autos particularly during the summer months too. Be alert and enjoy viewing all the corn fields, cattle, and pasture land.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the helpful info! It will be our first big cross country trip so we appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep an eye out for conditions ..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nf0idkzbzyh21.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	32815
    signature