User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric Awning Blew Off On Interstate 8

This post is for my Uncle who isn't very internet savvy, so I am posting on his behalf. I am VERY RV/5th wheel dumb, so please dont get too technical on me.
    He was travelling WB on I8 leaving Az and looked in his passenger mirror to see his entire awning frame and awning arms just blowing in the wind, with no cloth remaining to be found. He is looking for replacement parts to have it replaced at the lowest cost. He has already talked to someone at Grand Design and they gave him the part numbers for the things that he will need, but we dont know where the best, most economical place is to order these things. Hes already had me search AMZ, to no avail and I figure the best place to get this question answered is by the people that create and love these things so much. I have attatched pictures that were taken shortly after looking in his mirror.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fred1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	34223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fred2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	34224
    We are currently in Eastern Utah and he has plans to have the work performed in SLC, when he gets the parts.
    Any help you can provide woiuld be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance,
    SamZ

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a Lippert Solara awning from the pictures. Bizarre and unfortunate circumstance to have it blown off. Many have be knocked off in transit... Pretty much all RV awnings are sold in pieces. Clearly he will need an arm set, which are sold all over the internet and the consideration will be who gives the lowest shipped cost. If the awning roller tube was salvaged and reusable, that will make a huge difference as fabric replacement will only be needed and, from experience, that is best ordered direct from Lippert. If the tube was a loss, the only shipping of a new roller assembly with fabric is via LTL freight and will be expensive. If I were your uncle, I would get the model and serial number from the label on the awning tube, call Lippert, and see if they can help.

If I'm wrong guessing from the blurry pictures, and it's not a Lippert, just change my advice inserting the actual manufacturer.
    Last edited by geotex1; 05-20-2021 at 08:13 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to the great advice above , this could have left damage on the mounting rail too. That should be inspected carefully for leak points and disturbed sealant. Was the awning not rolled in all the way or is this a failure of the awning?
    Hard to believe no one would have honked to bring attention to this happening.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think it's a total loss and start looking for a complete awning to re-install. May be cheaper and easier than parts.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like an insurance claim to me!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scousers View Post
    We spend the winter in Lake Havasu AZ. There’s a company that advertises in a local paper that they repair and replace all manufacturers of awning systems.
    Google info in your area, maybe there is a business that can do it.
    Good kuck
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam, check your PMs when you get a chance.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scousers View Post
    I agree and he has been in touch with his Agent, however, they are offering him like 1800 for the entire thing. I stated earlier that I know NOTHING about RV/5th Wheel stuff, but that seems like a REALLY low number to me. That number to me sounds like it won't even cover the parts for this repair, let alone the labor to complete the job.
    Thank you for your replies to this point, I will read them to my uncle today.