User Tag List

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

replace converter?

I would like to replace the WFCO converter that came with my trailer. I've had issues with these in the past not doing a very good job of charging and maintaining lead acid batteries.

Has anyone had experience with the PowerMax brand of converters? I've seen the Progressive Dynamics converters mentioned a lot on forums, but the PM appears to offer the same features for about half the price. Any suggestions?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The current WFCO converters are 3 stage, and much better than the older ones. I see no reason to replace mine unless I was going to go with lithium.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    The current WFCO converters are 3 stage, and much better than the older ones. I see no reason to replace mine unless I was going to go with lithium.
    I had a powermax, and it does what it is suppossed to. WFCO... The one in my 2010 Sabre was always stuck at 13.6. The one I just replaced in my 2021 Momentum was the same.
    For me, the bad thing is they would never go into Float. (13.2) The batteries used a LOT of water. Especially since I am in Phoenix AZ
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WFCO has advertised as being a 3 stage charger for some time if I recall correctly. The problem seems to be that they are not real effective at achieving the right stage at the right time. As huntindog says they seem to have a difficult time staying or even getting in the 13.2 volt float voltage. I'm sure the WFCO is an adequate converter for most folks.

I do like the feature on the Progressive Dynamics converters that provide for an automatic daily equalization cycle.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Huntindog and dryfly

My current WFCO never goes into float mode, and boils the water off.

My previous mh had a PD 9160 and worked great. I had almost 8 year old GC2 batts in it and barely ever needed to add.

Go with the Progressive Dynamics.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 trailers ago I bought an IOTA-55 deck-mount converter. It currently resides inside the hookup center in our Imagine. The factory WFCO is still installed but turned off at its breaker, so it's only used as an AC and DC distribution center. If I go lithium I'll replace it but still mount it in the same location.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK