Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pin box side plate hitting bed rail

Just back from shake down with new grand design 369rl...tv is new 3500 denali srw std bed...have anderson ultimate hitch.
    In very sharp forward turn...past 60 degrees...the side plates of the trail aire pin box hit the bed rails limiting turn radius.
    I am a newbie at this and very frustrated...is this normal?
    Thx...bo

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well, no, not normal. Nothing should touch anywhere but I can't speak to your specific setup. I have a Mor/ryde pin box and the Andersen rail mounted hitch in my 6.5' bed and I have no contact. I have the Mor/ryde mounted in the OEM holes and the ball on the Andersen is in the second hole. You may have to play with the ball height and see if that helps. I don't know much about the Trail Aire pin box so I'm not sure how much, if any, adjustability you have there. I also suspect your truck bed rails are probably higher than mine as well.

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Well, no, not normal. Nothing should touch anywhere but I can't speak to your specific setup. I have a Mor/ryde pin box and the Andersen rail mounted hitch in my 6.5' bed and I have no contact. I have the Mor/ryde mounted in the OEM holes and the ball on the Andersen is in the second hole. You may have to play with the ball height and see if that helps. I don't know much about the Trail Aire pin box so I'm not sure how much, if any, adjustability you have there. I also suspect your truck bed rails are probably higher than mine as well.

Poppy...does ur whole pin box ride up over the top of ur bed rails. ..thx...bo

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poppy...does ur whole pin box ride up over the top of ur bed rails. ..thx...bo

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Bo, we just returned from a 2,500 mile trip and I had the rig fairly close to say 80 degrees a couple times and I had no contact between the pin box and the rails. I watch fairly closely and admit that I was concerned at first. It was also not all flat, level ground and still no contact.

Here's a shot of the clearance from outside of the bed:

Maybe next time I'm hooked up I should take some closeup pictures with the truck and trailer jack knifed to see the clearance of the rails and the pin box.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poppy,

Turn the piece around on the pin box 180 degrees. That configuration allows for the longer pin boxes found on the GD FW and also the Mor/Ryde pin boxes. You will want to watch your cab clearance with the configuration but it will stop the TV box touches.

I have mine in that configuration to avoid the TV box touch. Andersen has that configuration as an option in their install video.

Cheers,
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CloseToRetirement View Post
    Poppy,

Turn the piece around on the pin box 180 degrees. That configuration allows for the longer pin boxes found on the GD FW and also the Mor/Ryde pin boxes. You will want to watch your cab clearance with the configuration but it will stop the TV box touches.

I have mine in that configuration to avoid the TV box touch. Andersen has that configuration as an option in their install video.

Cheers,
    ...yep...that is what dlr dud and it solved prob...can get almost 90 degrees before cap hits. ..life is full of compromises. ..thx...bo