User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First tow: f250 tremor 7.3 vs imagine 2500rl

At the tail end of our last trip I hit the cat scales in mur '18 f150 platinum and realized we were overweight by a few hundred lbs. This was just wife and I and we had not even loaded the generator. So I decided to sell that truck and ordered a new f250 tremor with the 7.3 gasser. Not the best on milage but it will work well for us.

One thing about the f250 is that it has a 2.5 inch hitch receiver my old rig was 2 inch. I got a reducer but the bigger problem was the shank I had with my old wdh didn't have enough drop to keep the trailer level. So since I had to get a new shank anyhow I purchased the 2.5 inch Curt shank with 6 inch drop. I was torn between this or the 8 inch drop but it turns out the 6 worked out perfectly.

So today I got to take it out for a test run and I can report this is night and day better than the f150. In fact I think it might be more dangerous because I'm convinced I will forget I'm towing the trailer at some future date. This truck has times of power for this application and the trailer smooths the ride a bit too. So far I'm very happy. We have some longer trips coming up over the next few months so we will see how it works then. So far it's looking like a great compromise between a 4wd off-road capable truck as well as a good tower (albiet the 2500rl is not really a benchmark for towing....)
    Last edited by rmcrowe; 02-07-2021 at 12:23 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrowe View Post
    At the tail end of our last trip I hit the cat scales in mur '18 f150 platinum and realized we were overweight by a few hundred lbs. This was just wife and I and we had not even loaded the generator. So I decided to sell that truck and ordered a new f250 tremor with the 7.3 gasser. Not the best on milage but it will work well for us.

One thing about the f250 is that it has a 2.5 inch hitch receiver my old rig was 2 inch. I got a reducer but the bigger problem was the shank I had with my old wdh didn't have enough drop to keep the trailer level. So since I had to get a new shank anyhow I purchased the 2.5 inch Curt shank with 6 inch drop. I was torn between this or the 8 inch drop but it turns out the 6 worked out perfectly.

So today I got to take it out for a test run and I can report this is night and day better than the f150. In fact I think it might be more dangerous because I'm convinced I will forget I'm towing the trailer at some future date. This truck has times of power for this application and the trailer smooths the ride a bit too. So far I'm very happy. We have some longer trips coming up over the next few months so we will see how it works then. So far it's looking like a great compromise between a 4wd off-road capable truck as well as a good tower (albiet the 2500rl is not really a benchmark for towing....)
    I can imagine how its night and day. It will make for easier less stressful traveling.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, people can't imagine(pun for you) how well the new 7.3 gas tows. I was one of the first phase of new 7.3 owner's and I've been nothing but happy with it. I tow a 303RLS with a F350 Tremor.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tremor and Reflection303RLS.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	31962
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got back from our trip through southern utah, we traveled about 2700 miles with the trailer and averaged 9.1 mpg (with the trailer attached - real mpg , the truck read 9.4 under towing information). The mileage while not stellar is not horrible either. Lots of mountains involved and it pulled the hills without any problems, I'm very happy with the truck thus far. Just thought I would share the mileage stat in case anyone is interested.
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney