User Tag List

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My intentions before getting our TT was to travel at 65 mph. My TV had other ideas. I turn about 300 fewer RPMs at 68 than at 65. So I now keep it the 68-70 pocket when traffic is flowing. I don't try to keep up with traffic and will bring it down when things get congested. My goal is keeping the distance with the vehicle in front of me.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    65 for me most of the time. I'll push it up to 70'ish to get around and put some distance between me and an idiot, but then back to 65. My rig is very capable of higher speeds, but eh... why? I'm not in a hurry and I prefer to be relaxed while driving as opposed to a constant "Condition Yellow" on the situational awareness scale. Focused, but "Condition Green" works for me...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On freeways/interstates or good straight roads, I set the cruise to the speed limit or 100 KPH (~ 62 in 'merican) whichever is lower. Otherwise what traffic is doing. Occasionally it might crawl up to 105 or so on downhill grades before the exhaust brake kicks in.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to know how many people towing campers or any other type trailer like to keep trailer and tow vehicle tire height the same. I see so many trucks that have 34 or 35 inch tall tires pulling a trailer with maybe 30 inch tall tires. At 65 mph on a nice hot day these small diameter tires are turning a good bit more rev's per mile then a more matched in height set. No wonder so many smaller tires blow out during the summer months. My trailer tires are 235x80x16 which is close to the 245x75x17 truck tires in height. Just a thought for anyone who may spot a potential problem with this.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Couple View Post
    I'd like to know how many people towing campers or any other type trailer like to keep trailer and tow vehicle tire height the same. I see so many trucks that have 34 or 35 inch tall tires pulling a trailer with maybe 30 inch tall tires. At 65 mph on a nice hot day these small diameter tires are turning a good bit more rev's per mile then a more matched in height set. No wonder so many smaller tires blow out during the summer months. My trailer tires are 235x80x16 which is close to the 245x75x17 truck tires in height. Just a thought for anyone who may spot a potential problem with this.
    My last trailer had 13 inch tires. My truck tires are 17inch. No problems
    I don’t think this is a thing

Most pop ups have even smaller

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    My last trailer had 13 inch tires. My truck tires are 17inch. No problems
    I don’t think this is a thing

Most pop ups have even smaller

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Example would be my camper tires 235x80x16 show a height of right under 31 inches tall and turn 655 revs per mile. My truck tires are 31.5 inches tall and turn 645 revs per mile. These are matched pretty close at what they turn at hwy speeds. Problems arise when small diameter trailer tires are turning a lot more then the tow vehicles tires. I've seen more problems with small diameter trailer tires in the hot summer months then any thing else. Most are not even 10 ply or even speed rated over 62 mph.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vast majority of trailer tire blowouts and issues are heat related....and it's not necessarily ambient heat....it under-inflated tires. And as we all know, under-inflated for the load that they are carrying causes the tires to flex a lot more, and the "flexing a lot more" leads to the tire over heating the tire pressure goes through the roof. BOOM!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a huge proponent of maintaining proper distance between vehicles so I find myself adjusting speed to accommodate e everyone who feels that space is for them. Where it is possible, I don't have a problem traveling the posted truck speed limit, but the Cummins and 4.10s have two sweet spots so you're likely to find me in those to improve mpg (stop laughing). I try really hard not to let travel ruin my vacation mood!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Example would be my camper tires 235x80x16 show a height of right under 31 inches tall and turn 655 revs per mile. My truck tires are 31.5 inches tall and turn 645 revs per mile. These are matched pretty close at what they turn at hwy speeds. Problems arise when small diameter trailer tires are turning a lot more then the tow vehicles tires. I've seen more problems with small diameter trailer tires in the hot summer months then any thing else. Most are not even 10 ply or even speed rated over 62 mph.
    If I tow my utility trailer down the highway with my car and it’s small tires vs my truck with big LT tires has zero influence on the trailer tires

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! You got me curious and I went out to calculate everything. I used www.tiresize.com/calculator/. My TV has 245/75R-16 they are 30.5" tall / 662 revolutions per mile. My TT has 225/75R-15 they are 28.3" tall / 713 revolutions per mile. There is a 2.2" inch height difference so 1/2 on the bottom - half on the top so trailer would ride 1.1" higher to equal the height of my TV tires. And TT tires turn 51 more times per mile.

You sent me down the rabbit hole but now I'm coming out and don't think I'm going to worry about it to knock off 51 revolutions per mile. Not only would I have to change wheels and tires, but I would have to adjust my hitch head. Don't really want to deal with that. And the climb up the stairs would be higher.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast