Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Play stupid games win stupid prizes

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    It takes 75mph to pass somebody going 7mph under the speed limit SAFELY.
    You do realize the majority of the traffic flow is going 75-85mph (at least down here)

Going too slow can be as dangerous as going to fast.

That said. I would always stop to help somebody in need, regardless of speed.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum SRW 4X4
    Curt Q20 Slider

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My Goodyear trailer tires are rated to 87 mph so I've typically towed at 70 to 75 no problem.
    But this is with a diesel truck that weighs almost exactly as much as the trailer so it's plenty stable and stops on a dime.
    This is with clear traffic and good weather. If it's raining or snowing, we pretty much just don't move the trailer at all.
    We also go around big cities and never travel during rush hour or even close to it and never ever tow when it's dark.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    well that and it IS a the 6.0 diesel.
    I applaud your courage for continuing to own one of those. I had one as well. 2004 vintage. It liked visiting the dealer garage every 10 - 14 days. The local Ford dealer threw a TON of money at that engine trying to keep it going. They never succeeded. I got rid of it a few kms before it was out of warranty.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted earlier in the thread that I'm one of those guys that is willing to go 70+ while towing.
    Main reason would be to 'get there' so you can enjoy the destination. I think once retired, I may learn to enjoy the journey. Who knows.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I was educated, I pulled a 2006 40' Weekend Warrior toyhauler 5th wheel with a 2004 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison crew/longbed. The most we ever carried in it were 2 Seadoos on Aquacarts, and only minimal fresh water. In CA I stayed under 60, but in Nevada and Idaho I ran the speed limit, 70 and I think there were spots of 75. Those were the days before TPMS, so as long as the tires were aired to the max and looked fine, I didn't worry about any of the 6 (triple axle). I drove from Boise to Vegas overnight once, on the 2-lane direct route through Twin Falls (95?). With brights on, I came across a heifer standing asleep in the road in the NB lane, nose on the center line. Being a farm boy, in a split second I knew if she bolted, I'd be all over the road. So when I reached her, I hit the horn, hoping she'd jump back, as I held the wheel firmly. I don't know if she woke up or not, but I came through unscathed and with a rapid heartbeat. About ten minutes later, I passed a semi headed NB, hopefully she was gone by then. In retrospect, we were lucky. If we had that 5th today, I'd have an F450, TMPS, cameras, etc. Now i go overboard on safety.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice being retired and time isn't a real factor. I can remember the days we drove hard to get someplace to have fun for few days and then drove hard to get home. I was exhausted when returning home. Now I drive 60 to 65 and try to keep under 300 miles a day.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody's going to a fire. Hurry hurry go go. You still get there and most of the time you only gain minutes. If you've never been in a bad accident or seen one up close I guess you don't think about the aftermath. I do, every day, especially in the mornings before the meds kick in.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another perspective. I still actively compete in roadracing. On the track is becomes really clear that there are people that have better perception, physical skills, and reaction time than I have. They also understand the capabilities and limitations of their equipment better.

I know the highway isn't the track, but people with those skills don't turn them off when they're driving home.

Someone here said it well - https://youtu.be/iIr386jgidU
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 03-26-2021 at 06:54 AM.
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many inexperienced drivers on the road for me. Too fast or too slow and not paying attention to what's going on around them. Wife and I limit our trips to 400 miles so we can make it in a day. I usually drive 63 to 65 mph max in ideal conditions. I've driven drag racing car's in the 60's...semi tanker trucks in the 70's and 80's and then was in the trucking business until I retired. I'm a firm believer in having top notch equipment and keeping it well maintained.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    I know the highway isn't the track, but people with those skills don't turn them off when they're driving home.
    Speaking as someone who spends an inordinate amount of time on the track, my perspective is that good skill helps a lot on the road, but there are definite limits. I call them 'other drivers.' And for some reason they really like to do the stupidest things right in front of me when I'm pulling a trailer. It's not as bad on an open highway, for sure, but it feels like mad max when I come into a metropolitan area.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast