User Tag List

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who actually pulls there rig at 70 +

In light of the recent TT accident in Idaho which left a 350 dangling by its safety chains and speed was a factor. I have been thinking about perhaps asking a purely constructive question and perhaps educational for some of our new to TT towing crowd.
    How many folks actually drag their rig at 70 + mph. because of posted speed limit or “the traffic was moving that fast”?
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    In light of the recent TT accident in Idaho which left a 350 dangling by its safety chains and speed was a factor. I have been thinking about perhaps asking a purely constructive question and perhaps educational for some of our new to TT towing crowd.
    How many folks actually drag their rig at 70 + mph. because of posted speed limit or “the traffic was moving that fast”?
    On flat, level runs, I might be pulling at the posted speed limit, out West, of 75 MPH, but I have found that generally pulling at between 65-70 MPH I get about 1-2 MPG better than at 75 MPH. I also use the exhaust brake to help limit my speed, and usually use cruise control to keep it at 67 MPH.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    On flat, level runs, I might be pulling at the posted speed limit, out West, of 75 MPH ..
    Same here. If I'm trying to get somewhere (like for work or an event), I'll do the speed limit.
    If I'm just doggin' along sightseeing & listening to Sirius, I'll go a little slower to save fuel.
    signature

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who actually pulls there rig at 70 +

I NEVER go over 63mph

I find the bigger the truck the faster they go

Have been passed by plenty doing 75plus and will never stop to help them up the road

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-18-2021 at 06:40 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We run 65, I might touch 70 to pass on a 4 lane, but its right back down to 65 once I am around. Never under any circumstances over 70, I'm too long and too heavy, I want to get safely stopped in case of a problem. I saw that news report, witnesses said they were swerving before the crash, We cant speculate from here what happened.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually roll at ~67 or so. I will bump it up to 70, maybe a little more to make a pass, especially if I look in the mirror and see a long line of traffic coming...and the vehicle in front of me is driving less than I am. We are planning a trip out west in Sept, and I will be all interstate from Knoxville, TN to Williams, AZ....so once we get into the less crowded areas....AR, OK, TX, NM, etc, I will probably be running closer to 70 most of that distance. One important factor for me is having a good TPMS system for the trailer tires, all six of them and making sure the tires, wheel bearing, etc are all in good condition.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will run at 70 to 75 with the flow of traffic. I also keep a lot of space between me and the vehicles in front of me so I can stop safely.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled my Momentum at 70 quite frequently, but my tires had the correct speed rating, not all trailer tires have a high speed rating. Also, I think pulling a 5th wheel at 70 is not the same as a TT at 70. I've never pulled my Reflection yet, so no data on that one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    60-65 for me. I never go faster than my Guardian Angle can fly.

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    The couple was on the news last night here on the local channel. He said they were hit by wind. That area is known as being windy plus they were traveling over the gorge. I did not see or hear what their speed was. I think the speed limit there is 70 for trucks and 80 for cars.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast