User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rethinking Grand Design.

Help me please! I recently put a deposit down on a Reflection 300rbts. Now I have found out that they use a styrofoam and luan floor in this Reflection! I thought only cheaper light weight trailers used that type of flooring! I have read, seen and heard of problems from that type of floor for years in RV's! It has me wondering if I need to cancel the buy on this trailer and go a different direction! The factory told me not to worry they had a 3 year structural warranty! But, I plan on keeping this trailer far longer than that! This was intended to be our last trailer until we stop camping, which I hope to be 15 to 20 years! Should I worry that this floor is only styrofoam and two layers of 1/8th luan? I am very knowledgeable about materials as I have been in construction and manufacturing all my life. This floor system scares me!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was unaware about that floor material. Have you called GD to confirm what the construction is? You could always switch to a Solitude or Momentum, I know mine (Momentum) is made of plywood for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like wall construction not floor construction. I would call GD to confirm.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GDRV website and brochure link communicates the use as PTParker describes for Reflection TTs and 150 series Reflection fivers. This said, I would call GDRV Customer Service 574 825 9679 and ask to talk with and learn more on current builds. It is certainly possible things may be different as with rolling changes, and if not, at least to learn more about this.

There have not been many folks express concerns about this construction method nor having issues. Some squeaks and or flexing but we have this with the wood marine grade plywood (5/8" I think maybe 3/4" ?) floors and fiberglass insulation occasionally as well.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I was unaware about that floor material. Have you called GD to confirm what the construction is? You could always switch to a Solitude or Momentum, I know mine (Momentum) is made of plywood for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yes, I emailed them, they confirmed it is made of foam and Louan! Worse yet, it is made from louan instead of plywood! If you know about materials, louan is not even to be used as a structural material! It is a single ply soft wood made for hobbies and making toys! It breaks easy and swells easy from moisture! I am very close to canceling my order with Grand Design even if I lose my deposit! I am beginning to think they are selling pyrite for gold! The more I research, the more I am feeling that their quality is only skin deep! I have looked at other trailers that seem to use better materials everywhere, from suspension to floors to cabinets! The more questions I ask, the more I find I don't like!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    The GDRV website and brochure link communicates the use as PTParker describes for Reflection TTs and 150 series Reflection fivers. This said, I would call GDRV Customer Service 574 825 9679 and ask to talk with and learn more on current builds. It is certainly possible things may be different as with rolling changes, and if not, at least to learn more about this.

There have not been many folks express concerns about this construction method nor having issues. Some squeaks and or flexing but we have this with the wood marine grade plywood (5/8" I think maybe 3/4" ?) floors and fiberglass insulation occasionally as well.

Dan
    That is why I am asking. I have found literally hundreds of post about problems on almost all models using this type of floor! Some come from not enough supports in floor, some from water, and some from floor just being weaker from beginning! I have talked to a Grand Design rep that confirms that all Reflection travel trailers and 150 series fifthwheels have this type of floor!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Sounds like wall construction not floor construction. I would call GD to confirm.
    Nope, Rep confirmed the floor is made same as the walls! Or very similar. 1/8 louan on bottom then foam, then two layers of 1/8 louan on top!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @PTParker - Good thing you called GDRV and they confirmed the construction for you. Certainly not what you wanted to hear as your concerns are shared quite clearly. Sounds like it would be best to consider a different product or manufacturer. Hopefully your dealer will work it out with you.

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted - double post as #8 by system for some reason.

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    @PTParker - Good thing you called GDRV and they confirmed the construction for you. Certainly not what you wanted to hear as your concerns are shared quite clearly. Sounds like it would be best to consider a different product or manufacturer. Hopefully your dealer will work it out with you.

Dan
    I really like this layout, and I will fit in my building with removal of the ladder and a little modification of my building, but this floor concerns me! I have ask them some more questions about it and challenged them to convince me that theirs is better than all the other failed floors of this construction on the market. I guess I will see what they say before I make my final decision. I really wanted a Grand Design after all the good things said on this site about them, but I wanted this trailer for the long haul.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast