Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: N. GA Mountains

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by New Tamper View Post
    I would not go up Blood Mountain on a bet! Switch backs for 7 miles! We always go 575 to 515 all the way to Hiawassee, 4 lane great roads. Only issue is there is a 12 mile stretch between Blueridge to Blairsville that has a concrete highway that will cause your rig to porpoise. Atlanta is not that bad if you go through early.
    This is highly accurate and your best bet. The Unicoi Turnpike (a.k.a. Hwy 75) is no place for driving a rig if you don't have to. We used to hit those stretches of switchbacks in our Mini Cooper for fun and we were NEVER alone. There are fast cars and motorcycles tearing up and down that road every dry day of the year. If it's wet out... well, you wouldn't catch me out there towing my rig.

We lived in the Atlanta metro for 30+ years, the last 10 in Chamblee (inside I-285 at I-85) where I kept my 32 foot Imagine in my driveway, and now reside in Ball Ground (I-575 where it turns to Hwy 515) where my family has been for 15 years.

These suggestions of timing your route through Atlanta on I-75 or I-285 (both can be fine when timed right) and then I-75 to I-575 are the best. In my opinion.

Either way, enjoy yourself! I do love that part of Georgia deeply.
    Last edited by BadDecisionsRV; 03-24-2021 at 03:03 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by New Tamper View Post
    I would not go up Blood Mountain on a bet! Switch backs for 7 miles! We always go 575 to 515 all the way to Hiawassee, 4 lane great roads. Only issue is there is a 12 mile stretch between Blueridge to Blairsville that has a concrete highway that will cause your rig to porpoise. Atlanta is not that bad if you go through early.
    How do you feel about 76W from Clayton?
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum SRW 4X4
    Curt Q20 Slider

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdjaguar View Post
    How do you feel about 76W from Clayton?
    We drove it on a trip from Asheville back to Ball Ground once. It was completely unmemorable! Which means to me, it was fine.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BadDecisionsRV View Post
    We drove it on a trip from Asheville back to Ball Ground once. It was completely unmemorable! Which means to me, it was fine.
    Thanks!

My wife loathes the Interstate, though I told her its a necessary evil for certain stretches.
    That said, I'm not gonna subject her to the Atlanta transit, and plan on cutting off I75 in the Macon area.

Some folks say that the I75/I16 interchange in Macon is a mess, otherwise I'd pickup 129 to 441.

Other option is to get off at Ga 83 and take that NE to 441.

We aren't in a real rush, and I happen to enjoy state roads, for the most part.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    Curt Q20 Slider

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    The gets my vote too. Hard to say what time would be best. Maybe after 10:00 a.m. and before 3:00 p.m. on a weekday. On a weekend just check google maps for any congestion spots; maybe directly through ATL would work then. I've done it many times and different ways through/around depending on traffic.

It could be worse. You could be trying to get through Chattanooga!
    Chattanooga! Tell it brother, tell it!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live just north of Atlanta and go to the Hiawassee area several times a year. The best way is get on Inter-state 575 from 75. It changes name a few times (515 and 76). There are no sharp curves or big hills. I also go south through Atlanta several times a year. Plan on going through between 9am and 1pm. Get in the HOV lane and stay there. It ends at 285 and not to hard to more over a few lanes. If you have never been to Hiawassee it a great place. Beautiful views and friendly folks. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a truck atlas it helps

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonKirkpatrick View Post
    I live just north of Atlanta and go to the Hiawassee area several times a year. The best way is get on Inter-state 575 from 75. It changes name a few times (515 and 76). There are no sharp curves or big hills. I also go south through Atlanta several times a year. Plan on going through between 9am and 1pm. Get in the HOV lane and stay there. It ends at 285 and not to hard to more over a few lanes. If you have never been to Hiawassee it a great place. Beautiful views and friendly folks. Hope you enjoy your trip.
    This will be our first time in Hiawassee. Really looking forward to it!

Question though, if you didn't live just north of Atlanta, but lets say Macon....would you still do 75/575/515/76?
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    Curt Q20 Slider

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea!
    But wife just hates when I run with the SEMIS. seriously. she freaks out, lol.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    Curt Q20 Slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on where you staying. I love in the Atlanta area and camp frequently in the mountains. I’ve also been through the city many times. For reference, My current setup is a Solitude 3740 and my TV is a 350DRW. Taking a trailer up 75 through Atlanta isn’t that bad. You can either go up 985 then 129 to Cleveland and then on to Helen, up 400 to Dahlonega or 575 through Blairsville (my favorite drive). Personally, I hate towing through Helen and over the pass.

The issue will be the specific place you are staying. Some campgrounds have too tight of a turn-in to come from the wrong direction. Enota is one of those places that comes to mind. I would suggest calling the campground to see if there are any entry issues prior to setting your route. Have fun, and enjoy the mountains.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast