Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: N. GA Mountains

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdjaguar View Post
    Thanks for the info re I75/I16/129 interchange. I'd rather pick up 129 in Macon than go north to 83 anyway.
    I'm gonna get off 129 north of Athens then take 441 up to Clayton, so definitely avoiding Gainesville!
    We are leaving this morning for 5 days at Fort Mountain state park.
    We will take hwy. 53 from Gainesville to Dawsonville, then pick up 52 to Ellijay and on to Fort Mountain.
    Drive has one mountain out of Ellijay.

Just curious about why you avoid Gainesville. Thanks for any response.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ft. Morgan State Park is a bear to get to. Coming in from Ellijay is preferable because the mountain face to the west of the state park is so doggone steep.

That mountain is demanding even in an automobile.

Another really nice state park is on the east side of Ellijay (west of Dahlonega) and that's Amicalola State Park. The view at sunset off the deck at the restaurant/hotel is absolutely breathtaking.
    Last edited by Bamaman; 04-11-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    We are leaving this morning for 5 days at Fort Mountain state park.
    We will take hwy. 53 from Gainesville to Dawsonville, then pick up 52 to Ellijay and on to Fort Mountain.
    Drive has one mountain out of Ellijay.

Just curious about why you avoid Gainesville. Thanks for any response.
    Bob A.

Another poster said to avoid Gainesville (I really do not know why...traffic maybe?)

If you look back through the thread maybe you can DM them.

As we are not going that way, it will not be an issue for us.

Have a great trip!
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum SRW 4X4
    Curt Q20 Slider

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I assume you're talking about getting off I-75 at Forsythe and going northeast from there. Coming up 441 through Athens and then going east on Hwy 23 at Cornelia would be a good way to go. It's mostly really nice 4 lane highways in the NE end of the state. Hwy 76 from Clayton over to Hiawassee is 2 lane, but it's not one of the horrendous roads over the mountains. And it's not that far either.

The Hwy 75 between Helen and Hiawassee has about 10 miles of crooked road, but it's not nearly as gut wrenching as Hwy 129 from Blairsville to Cleveland or Hwy 60 from Dahlonega to Blue Ridge. We come into Helen all the time thru Blairsville and the Richard Russell Highway off Hwy 180--a real tough 15 mile road to travel.

After leaving Atlanta because of the traffic 17 years ago, we avoid the place like the plague. We do love those mountains, however. And Hiawassee has some great campgrounds in the city park. They have two big fairs yearly too--bringing in great music acts nightly.
    Yes. That is the route I have plotted, but I haven't decided between 83 or just pickup 129 in Macon.

Some say the I75/I16 Interchange is a mess, others say its not so bad.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum SRW 4X4
    Curt Q20 Slider

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. That is the route I have plotted, but I haven't decided between 83 or just pickup 129 in Macon.

Some say the I75/I16 Interchange is a mess, others say its not so bad.
    A few weeks ago we spent a week at Unicoi State Park. Home is Vero Beach FL. Our midway stop was Twin Oaks, just South of Perry. Excellent small family owned campground just off the exit. We opted to take the 129 and 441 route, and yes the I75/I16 interchange is a mess, but it was a Sunday morning so manageable. Either way it’s pick your poison. Little traffic all the way to Helen, but the ups and downs and winding roads are some work, along with the stop and goes in the small towns. Previously having a place to go to in Murphy NC and many trips pre RV, Atlanta is a crap shoot no matter what. Doing it over I’d take the same route with the fiver going to N GA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are staying at Mountain View Campground in Hiawassee. I guess I'll stick to stopping off in Perry to overnight on the way up, then make a "game-day decision" sunday morning whether to run the Atlanta gauntlet I75/575 through to Blairsville then on to Hiawassee, or saunter through North Central GA on 441 via 129 or 83.
    We stayed at Mountain View twice last year. The owners PJ and Louie are the best. Great little campground. We're going back later this year.

Are you into geocaching? We have a cache located in the campground. Check it out and let PJ and Louie know Charles and Susan said hi.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456