Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: N. GA Mountains

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. GA Mountains

This summer we will be heading up I75N from FL on our way to Hiawassee, GA right south of the NC Border.

Gonna stop off in Perry to break the trip in 2.

Question is, should I take the state roads near Macon east to 441N?

Or brave the interstate loop in the Atlanta metro area (really do not want to, but then again don't want to double the driving
    time either).

Anyone familiar with the route(s) I am looking at?

If so, any guidance on which roads NOT TO TAKE once we near the mountains, as we will be towing a 35 ft 5th wheel
    and do not want any white knuckle/screaming in terror switchbacks lol.
    Last edited by Jdjaguar; 03-18-2021 at 03:21 PM.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum SRW 4X4
    Curt Q20 Slider

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really knowledgeable about that area but...When in an area we haven't traveled we check out the desired route on Google earth. That gives a good idea on how sharp the curves are. This hasn't failed us...yet We have taken some beautiful backroads to get to our destination.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdjaguar View Post
    This summer we will be heading up I75N from FL on our way to Hiawassee, GA right south of the NC Border.

Or brave the interstate loop in the Atlanta metro area (really do not want to, but then again don't want to double the driving
    time either).

If so, any guidance on which roads NOT TO TAKE once we near the mountains, as we will be towing a 35 ft 5th wheel
    I come up I-95 heading west and get off the interstate as soon as possible. I avoid I-95 & I-75 when I can. I head for Waycross out of Jacksonville. 441 is a decent road, most divided highway, controlled but not limited access. Speeds are posted 65 until you come into towns which are every 10-15 miles but very pleasant driving and a good change of scenery. From where you are, I would hit Waycross and Athens Georgia. Even 75 into Hiawassee doesn't look terrible. Good up hill passing lanes and based on tracking with Goggle, good margins. Nothing to change a tire on but nothing to whiten the knuckles. With your diesel, the up hills are not going to be a problem and the roads are design to accommodate logging trucks. You should be ok. Oh, BTW, did I mention that I wouldn't drive any of those roads at night?
    Last edited by wjpatter; 03-18-2021 at 04:26 PM.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

time either).

From Perry you are approx. 120 minutes from downtown Atlanta. If you can arrive in Atlanta no later than 6 a.m.
    I would recommend I-75 from Perry to Atlanta, but only if you get thru early. Have you considered going further than Perry
    for your overnight, it would help you clear Atlanta earlier.
    Hope this helps:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in the town north of Perry. To avoid ATL, we have taken I-16E out of Macon (just 1 exit) to US129 to US441, BUT there is a major multi year construction project going on at the I-75/I-16 interchange, and it's a mess. Another option to get north of ATL is to get take I-75N exit 187 and get on GA-83N, Continue on GA-10 Loop E/US-129 N/US-29 N to US-441 N/Commerce Rd. Take exit 12 from GA-10 Loop N/US-129 N/US-441 N,8 min (7.6 mi), Follow US-441 N, Duncan Bridge Rd and GA-75 N to Franks St/Wood St in Hiawassee,
    I copied much of this right off google maps directions. It sounds more complicated than it is. On google maps, initially using interstates, drag the route over at exit 187 on I-75N. You will go thru or around Athens, but it is a good ride.
    Rob
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live 30 miles south of Atlanta. I go to Hiawassee 3 to 4 times a year. I go to NC couple times a year. I hit Atlanta between 9:30AM to 1:00PM with no problems unless it's raining then it's bad all day. If you leave Perry between 8 and 10 you should be alright. Check you maps when you get close to Atlanta and it will tell you the best route. Sometimes it sends me straight thru Atlanta and sometimes around the bypass. While in Hiawassee make sure you go to Mary's for breakfast and and couple doors down to Heavenly Bakery.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    We live in the town north of Perry. To avoid ATL, we have taken I-16E out of Macon (just 1 exit) to US129 to US441, BUT there is a major multi year construction project going on at the I-75/I-16 interchange, and it's a mess. Another option to get north of ATL is to get take I-75N exit 187 and get on GA-83N, Continue on GA-10 Loop E/US-129 N/US-29 N to US-441 N/Commerce Rd. Take exit 12 from GA-10 Loop N/US-129 N/US-441 N,8 min (7.6 mi), Follow US-441 N, Duncan Bridge Rd and GA-75 N to Franks St/Wood St in Hiawassee,
    I copied much of this right off google maps directions. It sounds more complicated than it is. On google maps, initially using interstates, drag the route over at exit 187 on I-75N. You will go thru or around Athens, but it is a good ride.
    Rob
    Thanks to all for your replies! very much appreciated.
    Looking at the options, Thinking 75N from Perry to 83N at Forsyth exit connecting to 441 in Madison, take bypass @Athens, continue 441/23 in to Clayton then 76W into Hiawassee.

Looking at Google Maps, GA 75 over the mountain from Helen has switchbacks around Andrews creek I do not even want to attempt being 55' long.

Thoughts?

Has anyone towed a big 5th Wheel from Helen to Hiawassee? On GA75?
    Last edited by Jdjaguar; 03-18-2021 at 07:12 PM.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum SRW 4X4
    Curt Q20 Slider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the options, Thinking 75N from Perry to 83N at Forsyth exit connecting to 441 in Madison, take bypass @Athens, continue 441/23 in to Clayton then 76W into Hiawassee.

Looking at Google Maps, GA 75 over the mountain from Helen has switchbacks around Andrews creek I do not even want to attempt being 55' long.

Thoughts?

Many times with a 38' Montana and a 43' Jayco. I use to pick up my granddaughter on the north side of Atlanta and that was the shortest way. The mountain is hard on vehicle but it's not that long of a climb. Now that she is in college I go 75 north to 575 north. Four lane all the way except for the last 16 miles. Easy pull. The way you are going is going to be a long slow ride but I'm not doing the driving. You do what's more confrontable for you. I still work so my trips are get there as fast as I can so I have more camping time at the site so I take expressway when possible.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pull through Atlanta several times a year and always try to go through on weekend very early in morning straight through on I-85, then toward gulf; we avoid I-285 at all cost - to me one of most dangerous roads around. We always try to avoid Atlanta by going through Athens, GA on 441, if we are going toward Atlantic side of Florida. Take Hwy 129 from Athens toward Gainesville and then on to Hiawassee. Interstate I-75 near Atlanta is very congested all the time with truck traffic. I rather spend and hour or two more than fight traffic around Atlanta pulling camper. Hwy 441 is easy road to pull camper on.

On return trip from camping trip from Florida we always stay at a campground south of Atlanta on a Sat night and get very early start on Sun morning going straight through on I-85 unless we are going up Hwy 441 through Athens, GA. Always use bypass at Athens.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 03-19-2021 at 03:08 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts?

You got me lost with all those directions but I will give a little insite. On my way from NE Tennessee to Brunswick Ga last fall, along the Savannah River that divides Ga. and SC I found are many COE campgrounds. I stayed at Petersburg Campground finding myself really impressed with it. Augusta is only 20 or so miles away and a nice town to spend some time wandering.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast