Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: N. GA Mountains

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grassmaster View Post
    If youre doing brasstown bald, you dang near have to do Russell scenic highway; arguably the prettiest mountain drive in Georgia Its about 6 miles south of the mountain, down 180, it and will take you over to Helen/Robertstown for a nice ride back to Hiawassee up hwy 17. If your wife likes the mountains, she'll love it.
    I love the mountains and she loves me, so that's gonna have to be close enough.

We plan on going to Helen, sans camper. Already discussed!

Russell scenic Highway...180/17.

on the list!

Thanks bunches
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 6.7 Diesel Platinum SRW 4X4
    Curt Q20 Slider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdjaguar View Post
    Brasstown Bald already on the list!

BlueRidge RR sounds way cool...thanks...open air only way to go in my book as well.

As far as getting off the beaten trail I am 100% with you, but sadly, wife of 31 years might object to anything too intense.

Gotta pick your battles...maybe I'll find her a day spa somewhere and hit the trail!

Really looking forward to the trip, I miss the mountains big time. Been camping strictly on the coast, but with the new truck am ready to hit some grades
    and relax in the cool mountain air.
    While in Hiawassee Bell Mountain is a must. Best view around. Just Google it.
    Do not tow on Richard Russell (Rt 348) or 17 north of Helen.
    The I75/I16/129 interchange is not that bad.
    If you take 129 don't go into Gainesville. Continue up 23 for a little and pick up 52 west and it will take you back to 129. Follow all bypasses if possible.
    76 west of Clayton is not much different than Blood Mnt.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Krusen View Post
    If you take 129 don't go into Gainesville. Continue up 23 for a little and pick up 52 west and it will take you back to 129. Follow all bypasses if possible.
    Thanks for the info re I75/I16/129 interchange. I'd rather pick up 129 in Macon than go north to 83 anyway.
    I'm gonna get off 129 north of Athens then take 441 up to Clayton, so definitely avoiding Gainesville!
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    Curt Q20 Slider

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Krusen View Post
    Re: Bell Mountain

I have no doubt that the view is magnificent, but after doing a bit of research,
    seeing all of that graffiti marring the granite rocks would downright leave me depressed.

Gonna pass. Sad that it was allowed. When I'm in a natural environment, the last thing I want to see
    is the side of a NYC subway.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    Curt Q20 Slider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: Bell Mountain

I have no doubt that the view is magnificent, but after doing a bit of research,
    seeing all of that graffiti marring the granite rocks would downright leave me depressed.

Gonna pass. Sad that it was allowed. When I'm in a natural environment, the last thing I want to see
    is the side of a NYC subway.
    Understand. But still one of the best views around. Graffiti would be behind you.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. How is the drive up and/or hike to the top?
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    Curt Q20 Slider

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. How is the drive up and/or hike to the top?
    Drive up is a 1 lane twisty steep climb to the top. Several spots to pull over if needed. I've done it several times with my dually and also with the motorcycle. Drive all the way to the top parking lot. Ignore the signs. Lots of parking on top. At this level you don't have to go any higher as there is a nice overlook platform there. But there are about 100 some steps to a higher level if you feel energetic.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me just say I would never tow a trailer over U.S. Hwy 129 north of Cleveland. Heck, I won't even drive that crooked snake mountain road in a car.

Just go straight through Downtown Atlanta on Interstate 75 when it's not rush hour. Take I-575 just north of Marietta (right fork) and it will turn into a fine 4 lane highway taking you all the way to Hiawassee.

We keep our Reflection stored in a member owned campground in Helen, GA and they move it on and off a camp site for us.

And let me say I just love the Northeast Georgia Mountains. The region has such a good atmosphere and is a favorite place for Floridians to vacation. And my favorite place is Young Harris, about 7 miles west of Hiawassee--at the foot of Brasstown Bald.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Let me just say I would never tow a trailer over U.S. Hwy 129 north of Cleveland. Heck, I won't even drive that crooked snake mountain road in a car.

Just go straight through Downtown Atlanta on Interstate 75 when it's not rush hour. Take I-575 just north of Marietta (right fork) and it will turn into a fine 4 lane highway taking you all the way to Hiawassee.

We keep our Reflection stored in a member owned campground in Helen, GA and they move it on and off a camp site for us.

And let me say I just love the Northeast Georgia Mountains. The region has such a good atmosphere and is a favorite place for Floridians to vacation. And my favorite place is Young Harris, about 7 miles west of Hiawassee--at the foot of Brasstown Bald.
    Thanks for weighing in. I am currently planning on taking 441 up to Clayton north of Athens, then 76W to Hiawassee.
    Have you ever towed on that route?

Coming from JAX that splits trip into 1/2 Interstate, 1/2 State roads in GA which Is a good mix for us.

I do plan on taking the truck south on 129 as wife wants to visit Helen and I'd like to hike up to Anna Ruby Falls while we are in the area.

I'll just take it easy through the switchbacks.

What do you like about Young Harris?
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    Curt Q20 Slider

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you're talking about getting off I-75 at Forsythe and going northeast from there. Coming up 441 through Athens and then going east on Hwy 23 at Cornelia would be a good way to go. It's mostly really nice 4 lane highways in the NE end of the state. Hwy 76 from Clayton over to Hiawassee is 2 lane, but it's not one of the horrendous roads over the mountains. And it's not that far either.

The Hwy 75 between Helen and Hiawassee has about 10 miles of crooked road, but it's not nearly as gut wrenching as Hwy 129 from Blairsville to Cleveland or Hwy 60 from Dahlonega to Blue Ridge. We come into Helen all the time thru Blairsville and the Richard Russell Highway off Hwy 180--a real tough 15 mile road to travel.

After leaving Atlanta because of the traffic 17 years ago, we avoid the place like the plague. We do love those mountains, however. And Hiawassee has some great campgrounds in the city park. They have two big fairs yearly too--bringing in great music acts nightly.
    Last edited by Bamaman; 04-11-2021 at 02:21 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast