User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter / charger question

Hello All. We just purchased a 2021 Reflection 260RD and I'd like to replace the battery with a 12 volt, SOK lithium 205ah battery. I have zero knowledge about batteries / charger so please excuse my ignorance. From what I understand the 260RD does not come with an inverter and the charger is not optimized for lithium.. What would be involved to add a charger/inverter to the RV? any recommendations for the size / brand to buy? Thanks for the help, John
    Last edited by jdux999; 03-18-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would probably be good to take some time reading about batteries on of the most talked about topics on here. You can spend lots of wasted money mismatching components. Buying technology you may or may not use depending on the type of camping you intend on doing.

There are good chargers and cheap ****** chargers .
    There are good batteries and knock offs. Warranties may be important.
    Should I buy a charger only.
    Should I buy an inverter charger so I can run 110 appliances off the batteries.
    Big question .....how much battery power do I need or will I use . ( again style of camping matters) ( so does what
    Your “ daily electrical diet” is

You Asked about buying the most expensive battery which has many positives as well as negatives and limitation ( they all do). I would ask why did you choose that?

Many including I will help with opinions but recognize many will have very different systems tailored to our needs.

Batteries and electrical is probably one of the most expensive add ons to many of our trailers. Different for camp ground aficionados . Different for full time off grid.

Personally we spend most time not in campgrounds. We like the outdoors and the freedom of not being super close to others, we don’t need pools. We look for state parks, national parks, BLM grounds, Army Corp sites etc. Because of this we require to live off our batteries a lot. We have robust battery power .....and it isn’t the expensive lithium.

We have carbon foam AGM....a substantial solar panel in 800 watts.....a good Westinghouse super quite generator which runs on propane/ gas and can power the air conditioner as well as the whole RV. All these can keep the batteries charged.

In addition we have a Victron 3000/12/120. This piece makes every 110 outlet capable of running off of battery power. It also contains a massive 120 amp 4 stage ( important) charger which quickly recharges the batteries ( either from the shore power in a campground or our generator.

Our “diet” is 75 amps a day without the reefer.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks RV Sailor - much appreciated. I'm new to the 5th wheel world but we had a Class C for 4 years. I spent about 6 months out West (live in Philadelphia). I spent a fair amount of time boondocking in AZ and Utah. I only had 2 AGM batteries with 100 amp hours usable. At the time I had a 4000 watt Onan generator and a 200 watt solar suitcase. I could be way off with my thinking but I figure a 200 amp Lithium is overkill for what I need but these SOK lithium batteries are getting really good reviews and at $1000 I think it's worth the extra money to get more than I'll probably need. I'd probably get around 190 amp hours out of a charge. Eventually I'd like to increase the solar panels because I'm going to start out with a 2000 watt generator that I'd rather run as infrequently as possible.
    Part of my problem is, not understanding batteries well enough, I tend to go overboard on what I need. I doubt if I'd go over 100 amps per day (I think??). I do want to head out West again this year - just have to convince the wife it's a good idea!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
    Thanks RV Sailor - much appreciated. I'm new to the 5th wheel world but we had a Class C for 4 years. I spent about 6 months out West (live in Philadelphia). I spent a fair amount of time boondocking in AZ and Utah. I only had 2 AGM batteries with 100 amp hours usable. At the time I had a 4000 watt Onan generator and a 200 watt solar suitcase. I could be way off with my thinking but I figure a 200 amp Lithium is overkill for what I need but these SOK lithium batteries are getting really good reviews and at $1000 I think it's worth the extra money to get more than I'll probably need. I'd probably get around 190 amp hours out of a charge. Eventually I'd like to increase the solar panels because I'm going to start out with a 2000 watt generator that I'd rather run as infrequently as possible.
    Part of my problem is, not understanding batteries well enough, I tend to go overboard on what I need. I doubt if I'd go over 100 amps per day (I think??). I do want to head out West again this year - just have to convince the wife it's a good idea!
    So you do have a good understanding. that’s great
    I’m not a lithium fan, as I see alternatives. Our Oasis AGM can be drawn down to 20% like lithium’s.
    No worry’s about cold or warm temps.

I do see their value. I suggest you get a first rate charger which can take advantage of the great charging ability
    The lithium’s have. I also suggest you buy a name brand like BB that have go warrenties.

Good luck
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All. We just purchased a 2021 Reflection 260RD and I'd like to replace the battery with a 12 volt, SOK lithium 205ah battery. I have zero knowledge about batteries / charger so please excuse my ignorance. From what I understand the 260RD does not come with an inverter and the charger is not optimized for lithium.. What would be involved to add a charger/inverter to the RV? any recommendations for the size / brand to buy? Thanks for the help, John
    If you're just changing out batteries then all you really have to do is swap battery and swap converter (charger). The converter can be a pain depending on where it is and having to remove the ground wire (which is just a continous wire that is looped through the converter). There's a rabbit hole past that...

Progressive and WFCO seem to be the most popular. Just try and get a similar amp rated model to what you currently have to avoid having to upgrade wiring size.

That's the basics...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks RV Sailor and A. Texas. That's where I get confused; buying a similar charger with similar amp ratings. If I do go with solar, will that be similar in amps to what comes stock with the RV? The "wiring" part confuses me as well. If I upgrade to more powerful batteries will I inadvertently overload the wires? Also, If I get an inverter/charger what are the issues that may come back to bite me because I don't know what to look out for?
    RV Sailor, you're right when you say there's so much to know about this whole electrical thing.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's where I get confused; buying a similar charger with similar amp ratings. If I do go with solar, will that be similar in amps to what comes stock with the RV?
    Solar is different. Solar requires a solar charge controller (seperate from this thread completely, although it does the same thing). You'll likely not be able to put enough solar panels on the unit to worry about exceeding amperage capabilities.

The "wiring" part confuses me as well. If I upgrade to more powerful batteries will I inadvertently overload the wires?
    Think of amperage as "pressure" as a comparison. If you increase the amperage you are increasing the "pressure" in the wires. If you exceed the "pressure" ratings on the wires they'll "burst" (overheat and melt). If you're doing nothing more than switching out battery chemistry AND making sure you get a similar rated battery charger, you won't be overloading anything.

Also, If I get an inverter/charger what are the issues that may come back to bite me because I don't know what to look out for?
    That's the rabbit hole... lol. If you plan to go that route all at once then you'll need to plan differently because you'll no longer need the battery charger and you'll be changing the design and you might save some cost... That's a different conversation.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm getting a 2500RL Imagine in mid April, I'm having installed a 2000W Inverter/Charger.
    This goes along with my 200Amp Lithium Battery and Inverter/Charger to be installed in the front Pass Thru near the Distribution Box.
    Just in case they need to install the Inverter need the fuse box in the living area.
    I was wondering do Inverter/charger make much noise when running?
    I want to be prepared.

Any thoughts.......

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t understand . The inverter / Charger should be as close to the batteries as possible to avoid long heavy gauge wire runs. Our Victron 12/ 3000/ 120 inverter charge is close to the batteries in the pass through.

There is a huge T3000 fuse between the batteries and the inverter/ Charger +. There is an output from the I/C into the AC fuse box.

Which I/C are you using?

https://images.app.goo.gl/Wi65U23S3s6bMSY96
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast