User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh water tank filled itself!

Last week I spent one night at an RV park. The fresh water tank was empty. I connected to city water. I use an adjustable regulator so I know the water pressure was 45 psi. The next morning the fresh water tank was heavily dripping water out of the overflow. I turned on the bathroom and kitchen faucets and drained the 45 gallon fresh water tank.

I can only presume the fresh water pump somehow allowed water to back fill the fresh water tank from the city water inlet. Imagine if it hadn't overflown I would have never know. Not only would I have been hauling 360 lbs of water I would imagine that much weight in the tank could cause the tank to break loose while driving.

The only thing I can think to do is replace the diaphragm in the pump. It only happened the one time but I'm not sure I can trust it to not happen again.

Anyone ever seen this problem?

Dustin
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how your water valves are setup (which system you have installed), but it could be an early indicator that one of your valves is failing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh water tank filled itself!

Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    Last week I spent one night at an RV park. The fresh water tank was empty. I connected to city water. I use an adjustable regulator so I know the water pressure was 45 psi. The next morning the fresh water tank was heavily dripping water out of the overflow. I turned on the bathroom and kitchen faucets and drained the 45 gallon fresh water tank.

I can only presume the fresh water pump somehow allowed water to back fill the fresh water tank from the city water inlet. Imagine if it hadn't overflown I would have never know. Not only would I have been hauling 360 lbs of water I would imagine that much weight in the tank could cause the tank to break loose while driving.

The only thing I can think to do is replace the diaphragm in the pump. It only happened the one time but I'm not sure I can trust it to not happen again.

Dustin
    Doubt your Pump is the issue and I would hope full tanks are designed to not fall off the trailer

My first thought would be the switch valve in the wet bay

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dustin
    I'm assuming the adjustment knob was still set to "city water?"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2600.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	32821
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would imagine that much weight in the tank could cause the tank to break loose while driving.

Dustin
    It had better not! If you cannot carry water in the tanks while driving, then you could never boondock.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dustin
    Provided your selector lever was set to city water it may be a bad check valve after the water pump. There is a check valve to prevent city water from flowing into the tank.

I have seen other posts that said the valve on the panel was faulty. I think it would have to be one of those two valves.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had same issue, it turned out to be valve inside pump housing. You may be able to increase pressure via allen head screw adjustment from outside black plastic pump housing or order new pump housing assembly from Amazon as I did. Get your model number of pump and Goggle manual or parts list for your pump.

More than liking it is check valve inside pump housing as it was on mine unless you were using city water fill valve and it could be this valve. I never use this valve due to reading about problems people have had with it on forum; just fill tank with hose from fresh water fill port on outside.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a test: Disconnect the inlet piping to the pump. Now pressurize the system with city water. If water comes out of the pump inlet the pump check valve is bad. If no water comes out but the tank still fills it's the City-Fill valve. Sometimes you can re-seat the "O" rings in the valve by depressurizing both sides of the system and moving the selector lever back and forth a few times.

Since I have a gravity port on my Imagine, if the City-Fill valve leaks I'll just bypass it.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buckskin - This seems to be the case with mine. I don't have a pump/city water valve. The outlet on the pump is "Teed" into the fresh water line that feeds the trailer. The fresh water tank is only filled with a hose from the outside. No valves. I always use an inline water filter and pressure is set to 45 psi. I'll get the pump part number, and an exploded view diagram. The answer is either, pump bad internal check valve, leaking diaphragm or debris that entered the system "somehow". However, since I'm going to have to take things apart, I think I will add a selector lever that allows me to fill the fresh water tank via the city water inlet.
    Last edited by toolman.dustin; 03-20-2021 at 09:38 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.