User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love a good tire inflation discussion. If you are going to adjust tire pressure for load I think it would be a good idea to have individual wheel weight. When I did this I was shocked to find that one wheel was carrying 500 lbs more than the other 3. Nobody could explain this, the wheel weigh guy did a double take, then measured all the wheels a second time. Soon after that I had the whole suspension system replaced.

Another old fashioned way of telling whether or not you are running correct pressure is watching the tire wear. Too much wear down the middle, over inflated; too much wear on the edges, underinflated.

As for me, I run a max cold PSI on the tire. I have beefed up suspension and run on very rough roads, reducing the tire pressure is not going to have much effect for me.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If they are the same load range as the OEM tires, they should be inflated to the pressure on the sticker on the side of the trailer.

Curious, though - if you got four years of service out of your original tires, why do you refer to them as "bombs?"

Rob
    My thoughts exactly

Seems like the in thing to do I guess

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyLifer View Post
    Attachment 32825
    After nearly four years or rolling on the factory China bombs, I had some Goodyear Endurance ST tires installed.

I had a good conversation with a buddy about tire pressures. I always ran my China bombs at max sidewall pressure, 80psi. He suggested running at the appropriate pressure for the load. I have never weighed my trailer but we went through the exercise anyway. My trailer max gross weight is 8500 pounds, with four tires that gives us 2125 pounds per tire (disregarding tongue weight). My tires are ST225/75R15.

Attachment 32826

50psi tire inflation gives me a capacity of 2150 pounds per tire...more than enough. I’ve probably never towed at max gross so that’s still pretty conservative.

Running the tire pressure at closer to the recommended pressure should help the tires last longer and save some wear and tear on the camper. I’m going to tow at 50psi for my 1st trip of the season soon to see how it feels.

What do you all do? Max pressure, or adjust for loading?
    I run mine at 70lb. If you notice most cars are stickered according to their weight. I can run mine at 70lb and still be 500lb over my GVWR of my trailer. If you deduct my tongue weight then I am over 1500lb under. I don't know my exact weight but I know it is not close to my GVWR, so most likely I am at least 2000lb under rating at 70lb pressure. I figure no need to wear my tires out and shake my trailer apart for no reason.
    I used to run everything at max pressure, but after talking to a friend that has ran a tire business for over 30 years, he said if you are running higher rated tires on a light vehicle that it was not such a great idea. For one it greatly reduces your braking, you have a very small patch of tire on the road if your are running on the center of the tire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adjust for loading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It only takes about 5 minutes and $12 to get a measurement of your trailer axle load at a CAT scale. I highly recommend this for everyone. Then at least you’ll know exactly what your tires are supporting (overall).

I’m really curious about this discussion as well. Current tires are 235/75R15 and load range C (50 psi). Closest Endurance size is load range E. I think 80 psi would beat the tar out of this little trailer. I’d be happier going by the load tables and inflating to match or slightly exceed current tire capacity (2340 each).
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    I always inflate to the maximum cold pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire. Pressure will increase with temperature by 10% or so but this is normal and taken into account by the tire manufacturer. My Sailuns at 110 psi cold pressure inflation will run around 120 psi when they are heated up. Running significantly less than maximum cold pressure inflation will likely cause harm to the sidewall.
    i bought the GY Endurance and Discount Tire did not max the pressure and I did not check it.
    300 miles into first trip i noticed the edges scuffing off already.
    I maxed the pressure out and it's been fine but i feel like i put a couple of years wear on those tires the first trip.

I've been told to run the max pressure or even 5 lbs over the max for best wear and mileage.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodyear Endurance sidewall says 65. 65 it is in my book.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    It only takes about 5 minutes and $12 to get a measurement of your trailer axle load at a CAT scale. I highly recommend this for everyone.
    If there is one around. None around me that I know of. Unfortunately.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    If there is one around. None around me that I know of. Unfortunately.
    True. Nothing near me either. I’ve had to go out of my way for the two times I’ve weighed it so far.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weigh the trailer hooked up yo your truck to get an accurate nuMber. Then figure the proper inflation.
    I usually add 10% to be safe.

Total weight of trailer / total rated weight of tires at max inflation x
    Max inflation = correct air pressure.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast