User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomsBro View Post
    i bought the GY Endurance and Discount Tire did not max the pressure and I did not check it.
    300 miles into first trip i noticed the edges scuffing off already.
    I maxed the pressure out and it's been fine but i feel like i put a couple of years wear on those tires the first trip.

I've been told to run the max pressure or even 5 lbs over the max for best wear and mileage.
    Good observation of the tire tread to sidewall, the tire will will show you, max. psi or just under. Would not recommend ever exceeding mfg. max cold inflation
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    Would not recommend ever exceeding mfg. max cold inflation
    I would never exceed mfg max cold inflation either....except for storage.
    But this reminds me of another forum years ago when the trailer tires of the day were max 65mph tire. There were people saying you could over inflate cold by 10% and get a higher safe speed out of them- up to 75mph. Complete BS in my opinion, but you know the internet....there's always people out there that know waaaay more than the design engineers.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyLifer View Post
    Attachment 32825
    After nearly four years or rolling on the factory China bombs, I had some Goodyear Endurance ST tires installed.

I had a good conversation with a buddy about tire pressures. I always ran my China bombs at max sidewall pressure, 80psi. He suggested running at the appropriate pressure for the load. I have never weighed my trailer but we went through the exercise anyway. My trailer max gross weight is 8500 pounds, with four tires that gives us 2125 pounds per tire (disregarding tongue weight). My tires are ST225/75R15.

Attachment 32826

50psi tire inflation gives me a capacity of 2150 pounds per tire...more than enough. I’ve probably never towed at max gross so that’s still pretty conservative.

Running the tire pressure at closer to the recommended pressure should help the tires last longer and save some wear and tear on the camper. I’m going to tow at 50psi for my 1st trip of the season soon to see how it feels.

What do you all do? Max pressure, or adjust for loading?
    My spreadsheet comes to 66 psi, is maximum reserve without bumping doors open and things over the floor.
    Rsasons fod the difference witb your 50 psi is I add first 11% to given 8500 lbs to cover unequall lad between the 4 tires.
    And I calculate with a better formula, that leads to higher pressures,
    And assumed the 8500 lbs only on the axles and not including towbarweight.

Then I did not even lower the maxload by 6 loadindex-steps, as I normally do for ST, because european tire with same sise and loadrange give higher maxload for even 99mph.
    Will google if this sise js one of those, and come back to it.

Edit: could not find same sise, but 225/70R15 in D load so AT 65 psi( or 69 psi) gives LI 112 instead of your 117. Interpolating to your 75 and 80 psi will give 3 LI steps higher I think so 115 LI for 99mph .
    So my carefull estimation is that we only have to substract 2 LI steps , so use the 115 for max presdure without bumping. Would give 70 psi.

My advice is to begin with that 70 psi, and if no bumping issues , keep it that pressure.
    If bumping experiënced try 65 psi, but dont go lower.
    Can be that you determine it for max reserve, but by all the inacuracies you end up with yust enaugh presdure to prefent overheating of at least one tire, when driving fi 70mph .
    Last edited by jadatis; 04-01-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I would never exceed mfg max cold inflation either....except for storage.
    But this reminds me of another forum years ago when the trailer tires of the day were max 65mph tire. There were people saying you could over inflate cold by 10% and get a higher safe speed out of them- up to 75mph. Complete BS in my opinion, but you know the internet....there's always people out there that know waaaay more than the design engineers.
    And everything on the internet is right..... I run what's on the tire sidewall, just as most people do. I'm not a tire expert, nor am I willing to spend the time to become one. I follow the recommended stuff most times, and try to use my head for other times, other things, or what my wife tells me to do, whichever comes first .
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my weight done on each wheel of truck and trailer. Based on results the Goodyear chart shows I can run my endurance tires at on 45 psi versus the 60 psi on the tire. Such a decrease in pressure worries me so I’m not sure I will follow Goodyear’s advice.
    Greg & Vicki
    US ARMY Retired
    2020 F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel 10 Speed 4x4
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    I air mine up to max cold PSI as stated on the tires.
    We were not so fortunate...

it was exactly 70 degrees outside the morning I set each tire to the 80 Psi max on our Solitude and ended up changing a blown tire on the freeway with a $1700 insurance claim! Out of desperation we bought an Eez-Tire system. I found that my trailer tires gain 25-35 Lbs while traveling, with the sun-side being 10 Psi higher than the shade-side. Tire temperature seems to have little difference. We now have Carlisle 15-ply Load Range "G" tires rated 110 Lbs. My 16 inch rims are also rated 110 Lbs max. We start out about 85 Psi and within an hour or so they are very near the 110 Psi max and stay that way until we stop.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used a TPMS system for several years and wouldn't be without one. I have never had my tires gain 25-35 PSI when traveling and I've gone from NY State to Florida so they're running at highway speeds for hours. I have seen an increase of 15 PSI and tire manufacturers are well aware that tire pressure will increase on the highway. I now have a new rig with 16" Endurance tires on it. I anticipate seeing the same but I'll be paying close attention.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    We were not so fortunate...

it was exactly 70 degrees outside the morning I set each tire to the 80 Psi max on our Solitude and ended up changing a blown tire on the freeway with a $1700 insurance claim! Out of desperation we bought an Eez-Tire system. I found that my trailer tires gain 25-35 Lbs while traveling, with the sun-side being 10 Psi higher than the shade-side. Tire temperature seems to have little difference. We now have Carlisle 15-ply Load Range "G" tires rated 110 Lbs. My 16 inch rims are also rated 110 Lbs max. We start out about 85 Psi and within an hour or so they are very near the 110 Psi max and stay that way until we stop.
    No wonder you had a blow out. If your previous tire was rated for 110 PSI at cold tire temp and your only inflating to 80 PSI you are overloading your tire and will likely have the same problem with your Carlisle tires. The engineers for your tires and rims take into account the increase in pressure as the tire heats up and when they state 110 PSI cold tire pressure that's what they mean, not 80 PSI to heat up to 110 PSI. If you research cold tire pressure it means before your drive or after tires have sat for several hours to cool down.

Here is the link from Bridgestone that you can read on how to properly inflate your tires so you can avoid another blowout with the new tires. https://www.bridgestonetire.com/trea...tire-pressure#

Rob
    Last edited by Calbar; 04-05-2021 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Adding a link to cold tire pressure info
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put 78 to 80 psi in my GY Endurance.

IF I used the information on the load chart I would be putting in 40-50 psi to carry the max load the trailer is rated for (assuming the load is equal on all tires).
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As more food for thought, someone posted this somewhere on this forum, and I saved it because it makes sense. Also because it aligns with my take on this whole pressure thing. https://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/...ax%20Inflation
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast