Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did You Own a Different RV Before GD?

Good evening, all -

So, we are getting close to buying a 380 FL. We have researched and visited RV dealers for months, and still come back to it. This past weekend, we must have walked into at least 20 different RVs and TTs, types and brands we never considered. I'd like to know if members owned other brands before buying a GD and what made you change? What did you like about the other brands and what made you choose GD? The price of a 380FL, even discounted, is more than most any other RV, but we just can't pass up the extra 1/2 bath and separate living area.

Many thanks!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll start this off - you're going to find lots of us have owned previous RVs.

1986 - Fleetwood Yukon 24' Travel Trailer (1984 Chevy full size Van conversion (Tra-Tech)
    1990 - 1984 Fleetwood Southwind 28' Class A (1978 Mazda GLC "toad")
    1996 - Sunnybrook 26CKS Travel Trailer (1996 Chevy Suburban; 2000 Ford F-250)
    2006 - Sunnybrook 32BWKS 5th wheel (2006 Ford F-350)
    2011 - Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH Class A (2005 Honda CRV "Toad")
    2018 - GD Solitude 310GK-R (2019 Ford F350)

When you're ready to get an RV and you shop a lot you'll know what you want as soon as you walk into it. That's how it was after our first RV. Kind of an expensive 'hobby'.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexSol20 View Post
    Good evening, all -

So, we are getting close to buying a 380 FL. We have researched and visited RV dealers for months, and still come back to it. This past weekend, we must have walked into at least 20 different RVs and TTs, types and brands we never considered. I'd like to know if members owned other brands before buying a GD and what made you change? What did you like about the other brands and what made you choose GD? The price of a 380FL, even discounted, is more than most any other RV, but we just can't pass up the extra 1/2 bath and separate living area.

Many thanks!
    Unlike several here, we never had an RV before purchasing our Reflection.

We researched many (MANY) brands/models for 3 years before narrowing it down to 3. Then we researched those again. Grand Design just came out on the top of our research. I was very picky about being able to actually walk into the different models we were checking out. I wanted to touch things, and see/feel the size of it.

The final two were a Cougar or a Reflection. Both very similar in how the floorplans were set up, but every time we walked into the Reflection, it just "felt" better. Yes, it cost more, but in our research we discovered that most people who purchase RVs tend to buy 3 before they wind up with the rig they should have bought in the first place. And we didn't want to be those people. Didn't relish the thought of setting up house in one rig, only to have to move every thing to a second, and third rig.

We've had ours now for 4 years, and have no desire to "upgrade" "go bigger" "get something else".

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had 2 other brands prior to our Momentum. GD's customer service drove us toward purchasing at the end of 2016. We just sold our Momentum a few weeks ago, mainly for a change of scenery since we lived in it for 3 years and to be able to get rid of our dually and take advantage of the hot truck/RV market. We are considering other brands for our next one since GD doesnt assemble their RVs any different than other manufacturers and it sounds like customer service isnt what it once was. We would get a GD again, but we are trying to stay on the lower cost side this time since we have a much shorter camping season in Idaho than we did on the East coast and the camper will spend most of its time in my driveway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexSol20 View Post
    Good evening, all -

Many thanks!
    Yes we purchased our first RV new in 1993. It was a 35' Holiday Rambler. Only had 1 repair under warranty by dealer in 25 years of ownership. Quality of fit, materials and finish were great but they went belly up in 2009. Our 2020 Grand Design Solitude is no match but choices are limited these days. We love the floor plan and interior space of our Solitude but quality of components and customer service doesn't even come close to matching our first RV. We are looking to trade for a toy hauler but have no idea where to go next. Maybe condos in a couple of places but that is not what we desire.
    2020 Solitude 310GKR
    2003 F350 PSD

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1974 VW Westfalia - purchased new and wish I still had it.
    1977 Chevy van - purchased new, full-size, homebuilt class B conversion (did it myself)
    (long gap with several sailboats in between)
    2003 Coleman pop-up
    (another RV gap/trailerable trawler)
    2013 Surveyor Sport travel trailer - dipping the toes in the RV waters again
    2016 (purchased 8/2015) Reflection 337RLS
    2020 (purchased 2/2020) Solitude 310GK-R

What drew us to the Reflection initially was the floorplan and storage capacity for full-timing. The customer service we received from GD in our first 4-1/2 years full-timing is what brought us back to the Solitude when we wanted to upgrade some things. A good example of this service was an interaction I had with GD Customer Service this morning. Our Furrion convection/microwave went out Saturday (the day after Christmas). This morning I called Furrion who confirmed it's likely a bad door switch causing the internal fuse to blow every time the door is closed. Furrion said to call GD to have it warrantied out. I called GD CS, told them what was going on, and that we were full-timers and there wasn't a GD dealer anywhere nearby. GD CS response: "OK, send me an email with photos of the front of the oven and the sticker inside the door along with your phone number and a shipping address where we can have a new one sent. Oh, by the way, these things are heavy - are you sure you want to do this yourself?" Me: "The much younger naval engineer across the street from us in the park will be happy to help. Thanks."

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1995 Weekend Warrior 18' bumper pull toy hauler
    2006 KZ Sportsman Sportster 33P 5th wheel toy hauler
    2021 Grand Design 349M 5th wheel toy hauler

The WW took me all over the country, but eventually convinced me not to sleep in the same room as my motorcycles. I bought the KZ to get a slide, a separate garage, and a 5th wheel. I bought it as a show demo (for a good deal). It's taken me all over the country many times and I still have it (it's for sale, though).

I got the 349M because it has more room, much newer features, my friends really like theirs, and the construction is much better than my KZ.
    signature

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2003 Thor wanderer travel trailer
    2006 Damon Daybreak 32 ft gas motorhome
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 315rlts
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    1974 VW Westfalia - purchased new and wish I still had it.
    1977 Chevy van - purchased new, full-size, homebuilt class B conversion (did it myself)
    (long gap with several sailboats in between)
    2003 Coleman pop-up
    (another RV gap/trailerable trawler)
    2013 Surveyor Sport travel trailer - dipping the toes in the RV waters again
    2016 (purchased 8/2015) Reflection 337RLS
    2020 (purchased 2/2020) Solitude 310GK-R

Rob
    Rob, curious what sailboats you had. We're boaters that just bought our first rv last fall (21bhe). Prior to that:

1) Luger 21
    2) Bayfield 25 - felt safest on this boat over any of the others
    3) O'Day 28 - best sailing boat of any I've owned - a bit tender (needed first reef around 15kts) but able to point to 25 degrees apparent
    4) Catalina 30 MkIII
    5) Marinette 32 - our foray into the dark side with twin Chrysler 360's that barely got 1mpg - first tank of gas for it was 2.38/gal, last tank was over 5/gal
    6) Compac 23 Mk2
    7) and now a Compac Eclipse

Fred
    Last edited by tfgd21bhe; 12-29-2020 at 04:45 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had two previously:
    More recently a 2014 Flagstaff V-lite 26wfkss
    A 1991 Dutchman travel trailer model that I cannot recall.
    Then there were a couple boats one which might count was a 1974 Chris Craft 36' that never left the dock.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 12-29-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast