User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

311bhs vs 28bh for short trips

We currently own a Jayco TT but are looking at both a 28bh and 311bhs. Most of our trips range from 1-3 hours from home, and we stay for 3 or 4 nights with the kids. We do want to do some longer trips to Colorado, etc, but for the most part will be closer to home. We also use our camper to setup for a couple of nights at campgrounds near where our son plays baseball tournaments sometimes. Knowing that the 28bh is about 2 feet shorter and almost 2,000 lbs lighter than the 311bhs, how big of a difference would we notice in terms of manageability between the 2 for the type of traveling/camping that we do? We have a 2016 F250 6.7L diesel, and I know there's debate in these forums as to whether a 311 should be pulled with it as well. I guess what I'm getting at is how much extra "pain in the neck" factor there would be going with the 311bhs over the 28bhs for shorter, extended weekend type trips. Thanks in advance for any input.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think you would notice a 2' difference. I went from a 36' TT to a 43' 5th wheel when we switched to our 399 and it didnt seem any different to me as far as length is concerned, I even swapped to a long bed from a standard bed, so my overall length probably increased by at least 7'.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a hard question to answer. A lot of what you want answers to only you and your family can answer. Everyone has their own wants and needs and floorplan desires. But, I pull my 311BHS with a 3/4 ton Chevy but I have the 11,350 GVWR and 3310 pounds of payload. Most 3/4 ton trucks don't allow for that much weight. I can stay 200-250 pounds below max specs if I load the trailer correctly and it's usually just my wife and I. I would likely go with the 28BH if I had kids traveling with us and a lower payload ability.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 28bh and if I had to do it over again, I'd be tempted by the 311bhs simply because the bunk room is so much bigger. But it is longer and 2' is 2'. When it's really tight those 2' can make a difference. Otherwise it won't. As for whether your truck is rated to pull the 311bhs, look at the white sticker on the door jamb and see what the GRAWR (rear axle weight rating) is listed at. Then look at your rear tire load ratings. I'm not sure what the 311's pin weight is, but it's probably 20% of it's GVWR. So long as your pin weight (and all passengers and gear) is lower than the tire load and GRAWR, you should be ok to tow the trailer.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dry pin weight is 2197 pounds but ours with propane, battery a memory foam mattress that weighs close to 100 pounds, about another 150 in the pass through storage brings the pin weight up to 2400 pounds. When we're fully loaded with clothes, food, chairs, beer, pop, etc. we're at 2700 pounds pin weight.