User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat pump and how many

In simple language how does a heat pump work in a RV? If you have three air conditioners do you want or need a heat pump for each air conditioner?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, GD offers this as an option on the main AC in many of their floorplans. I have this on my Solitude. It works to heat down to about 40f outside, due to physics it just won't move energy past that.

Nothing stopping them from having a heat pump on ALL AC units in a trailer, other vendors do this, but GD only offers it on the one even in a multi-unit system.

Having a heat pump is integral to the design of the AC unit, not something you can add aftermarket.

Of note, the heat pump uses the ceiling duct work and will therefore not warm the underbelly. Since it stops being effective ABOVE freezing anyways, just kind of reinforces that you should absolutely use the gas furnace if freezing weather is expected.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the old one View Post
    In simple language how does a heat pump work in a RV? If you have three air conditioners do you want or need a heat pump for each air conditioner?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Here is a good explanation of how a heat pump works as part of a youtube video posted by Chad & Tara of Changing Lanes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JTIJJyZL0I
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to the limitations of a HP only one is needed in an RV. At anything above 40 I can heat my 376 up as warm as I want. Below 40 I just use the furnace.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newbie question:
    How does one cycle between the heat pump and furnace?
    On shakedown trip now, it was chilly around 40 last night.
    Is there a level of temp monitoring going on so the thermostat chooses based on ambient temps, or other?
    Checked manual, control panel, thermostat, etc - no obvious answer like with the water heater!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Newbie question:
    How does one cycle between the heat pump and furnace?
    On shakedown trip now, it was chilly around 40 last night.
    Is there a level of temp monitoring going on so the thermostat chooses based on ambient temps, or other?
    Checked manual, control panel, thermostat, etc - no obvious answer like with the water heater!
    So you have the choice of "prefer gas" or "prefer heat pump" to switch. The prefer gas will always use gas furnance from what I can tell. Prefer heat pump will use the heat pump until the temperature falls below 8 degrees of what your setting is. Example if you have prefer heat pump and your temperature is set to 68 degress, heat pump will be used until the temperature drops below 60 in the rv. Then gas furnace will kick on.

FYI, the further the outside temperature drops below 50 degrees, the less effective the heat pump is and it's completely ineffective 40 degrees and below.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    So you have the choice of "prefer gas" or "prefer heat pump" to switch. The prefer gas will always use gas furnance from what I can tell. Prefer heat pump will use the heat pump until the temperature falls below 8 degrees of what your setting is. Example if you have prefer heat pump and your temperature is set to 68 degress, heat pump will be used until the temperature drops below 60 in the rv. Then gas furnace will kick on.

FYI, the further the outside temperature drops below 50 degrees, the less effective the heat pump is and it's completely ineffective 40 degrees and below.

Thank you, but where/how?! I seem to be on prefer gas right now.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Thank you, but where/how?! I seem to be on prefer gas right now.
    Do you use Thermostat or one control?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick and simple question of how they work. When you go to the heat pump, there is a reversing valve in the refrigeration circuit (freon) that changes the flow of the freon, and that basically makes the evaporator function as the condenser.....and the condenser function as the evaporator.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    Do you use Thermostat or one control?