User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by therealmkc View Post
    I'm very interested in this comment actually... When we lost our transmission last year, we rented a Chevy 1500 Truck and it seemed to tow much better than the Yukon in terms of sway. I was trying to figure out if the difference was the stiffer suspension... I assumed so, but didn't understand the reasons behind it.
    The suspension (shocks, springs and geometry) are probably totally different between a Yukon and a 1/2 ton pick up (and between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4~1 ton).

Tires will also make a huge difference in towing control. Stiffer sidewall tires (like LT vs P metric, and heavier load rating) will give more stability. Of course, the down side is a stiffer ride.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 03-22-2021 at 11:30 AM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did new axles, springs, CRE3000, heavy duty shackles, and wet bolts, 5) 16" rims, 5) new tires last year and it was less than the price you were given. The rims and tires alone were about $1800. The parts you listed should be less then $1000. The labor to do the work was only $250. The work was done by an auto mechanic and not an RV dealer that charge twice as much per hour and probably take twice as long to do the work. Also, I ordered all the parts myself and not from an RV dealer. CRE300, shackles and wet bolts from Amazon. Axles and springs from a nearby Dexter authorized dealer.
    Last edited by 315RLTSinPA; 03-22-2021 at 04:34 PM.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Given the suspension damage and behavior you describe, you are most likely camping overloaded.
    Wondering how overloaded a trailer would have to be to bend spindles? The 2800BH has a payload of around 1600 lbs, a full fresh water tank would be about 400 lbs so still 1200 lbs to GVWR.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    Wondering how overloaded a trailer would have to be to bend spindles? The 2800BH has a payload of around 1600 lbs, a full fresh water tank would be about 400 lbs so still 1200 lbs to GVWR.
    Keep in mind the fundamental flaw of suspension ratings - based on ideal conditions and not the dynamic loading of the real world... I would actually wager the spindles aren't bent but the axle tube lost its crown and there's no longer a horizontal alignment spindle to spindle. All tanks full is a big number. Couple inches nose hose transferring hitch share back to the axles... Lots of factors.

Last year I helped camping friends sling an entire replacement suspension under a Heritage Glen 300BH after a 12,000 mile trek around America. Never exceeded cargo capacity, WDH set perfectly. The culprit was the roads traveled! Way too harsh for the stiff suspension. Both axles lost their camber and springs lost most of their arch. Ate brand new Goodyear Endurance tires, and outboard bearing absolutely cooked! If you know how to do the calculations, scare yourself by computing the loads associated with a hard bounce at speed. Not necessarily air between rubber and road, but where the load is mostly removed by the unloading due to the bounce and then gravity bringing it back rapidly.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes the 2018 2800BH was a disaster for springs and axles... I went through it. Did not notice bad or uneven tire wear but maybe not enough mileage on mine yet.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa that sounds very high. For $4200, you could have MorRyde install a full independent suspension system.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    I can tell you for sure we are not towing it overloaded. I have food in the pantry, clothes in the closet, and your normal kitchen stuff (pots/pans, etc.), a few camping chairs and all the set up gear in the pass through and then a bike rack with 4 kids bikes on the back. I'd estimate AT MOST 600 lbs for all that and we never tow with tanks full. We put coolers and blackstone in the back of the tow vehicle. I was really curious too how we could have 3 of 4 spindles bent.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Keep in mind the fundamental flaw of suspension ratings - based on ideal conditions and not the dynamic loading of the real world... I would actually wager the spindles aren't bent but the axle tube lost its crown and there's no longer a horizontal alignment spindle to spindle. All tanks full is a big number. Couple inches nose hose transferring hitch share back to the axles... Lots of factors.

Last year I helped camping friends sling an entire replacement suspension under a Heritage Glen 300BH after a 12,000 mile trek around America. Never exceeded cargo capacity, WDH set perfectly. The culprit was the roads traveled! Way too harsh for the stiff suspension. Both axles lost their camber and springs lost most of their arch. Ate brand new Goodyear Endurance tires, and outboard bearing absolutely cooked! If you know how to do the calculations, scare yourself by computing the loads associated with a hard bounce at speed. Not necessarily air between rubber and road, but where the load is mostly removed by the unloading due to the bounce and then gravity bringing it back rapidly.
    I think you are spot on here... if you look at the axles one has the camber (in my non technical terms, one looks bowed and the other does not), and also one of the leaf springs is flat while the other side has an arch. That's what I took it in to have them assess. They came back with bent spindles but said the axles were "as designed"?!?! I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but know that they should at least be the same!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by therealmkc View Post
    I can tell you for sure we are not towing it overloaded. I have food in the pantry, clothes in the closet, and your normal kitchen stuff (pots/pans, etc.), a few camping chairs and all the set up gear in the pass through and then a bike rack with 4 kids bikes on the back. I'd estimate AT MOST 600 lbs for all that and we never tow with tanks full. We put coolers and blackstone in the back of the tow vehicle. I was really curious too how we could have 3 of 4 spindles bent.
    Does you TT have 3500# or 4400# axles? 5 lug or 6 lug rims?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Does you TT have 3500# or 4400# axles? 5 lug or 6 lug rims?
    I believe it is the 3500# with 5 lug rims.... I'll have to verify.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast